Author Topic: Frozen Mango Bars  (Read 71063 times)

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
Frozen Mango Bars
« on: November 20, 2010, 12:01:45 pm »
Frozen Mango Bars

I adapted this recipe from a recipe on Best Recipes.com submitted by debrakay56.
Made 36 pieces

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups sugar (260g)
1 1/4 cups water (300g)
3 x 425g cans sliced mangoes, drained. (I used about 700g fresh mango flesh - 4 decent sized mangoes)
1 tbspn lemon juice
1 x 300ml thickened cream (I used 2 x  200ml cartons of long life cream)

Preparation:

Line 2 20cm x 30cm lamington trays with alfoil or get some silicon muffin pans ready.
Mill the sugar on Speed  for 10 secs. Add the water and cook at 60º for 5 mins to dissolve sugar.
Cool to room temperature.
Add mangoes, and lemon juice and turn speed dial slowly to 9 to puree. Allow to puree for about 3 secs on 9 to ensure smooth consistency.
In a bowl combine two cups of mango mixture with the cream and stir.
Pour this mixture into silicon muffin pans or a couple of lamington trays lined with baking paper (20cm x 30cm) and freeze until firm.
Pour remaining mango mixture over frozen mango cream in pan or muffin trays. Freeze for several hours or until firm.
Cut into slices if using pan or remove from silicon muffin molds and store in freezer.

Tips/Hints:

I am not a big fruit eater so had to get my children to sample these and got the thumbs up. They are very easy to make and I thought that using my silicon muffin molds they look more presentable for desserts when one has company. Would be interested to know if others think that you could substitute coconut cream for the thickened cream and if that would taste okay. Am thinking about whether a similar concoction of strawberries or mixed berries could be made. Would love to hear from others as to what they think. Feedback on the Best Recipes site suggested adding macadamia nuts to the cream mix and a few had done this and enjoyed it.

Members' comments
Kym - I made a half batch yesterday and I agree that they do taste fairly similar to the Weiss bars.

mel81q - These are just like the weiss bar from the supermarket, probably even better, as these are heaps cheaper to make, and you get plenty out of one batch. DH rated them a 20/10 so must be onto a good thing here. He might just have a new favourite thermomix dessert now. Ta for a great recipe.

Trudy - These went down a treat with my Granddaughters and Sons-in-Law.  I found the mixture was just right for only ONE lamington pan and slices very easily.  Thank-you for the recipe.

Obbie - I made these yesterday, and used silicon muffin trays for them. My daughter loves them. I used up 7 fresh mangoes.

Uni - I made them a few weeks ago and omg soooooo good.  I don’t own silicon muffin trays I just lined mine with foil. Making more this week this will try with canned mangoes.

opi2kenopi - Oh yeah, I made these a few weeks ago and forgot to post my thanks for the recipe.  So thanks.  It's lovely!  And I only found out after I made them that my DH is not a fan of mango.  How did I not know that by now? I included macadamias and coconut cream (or was it milk? I can't remember) in the creamy bit, and next time I think I might churn that part in my ice-cream maker for a while because I find that part a little solid to get the spoon through (maybe because I used coconut milk?).  I did mine in silicone muffin tins so need to be eaten with a spoon.  If done as bars or in ice-cream moulds with a stick I don't think the churning is necessary. I think canned mangoes would work a treat.  Would you use the juice as well?

chookie - Roxy,  this recipe is unreal.  I made the basic Mango,  although I doubled the recipe as I knew it was going to be hot today and I had run out of Ice-cream.  I set some in icy-pop containers, and the rest in a flat dish.   For lunch today,  I sliced the set mango and served it in between wafers.   Beautiful.   For afternoon tea,  I put about a cup of Ice blocks, 1 cup of milk and a chunk of Frozen Mango Bars in the TMX and zapped on 10 for 1 min.  A beautiful frozen mango thick shake.  Thanks again.   I think I will make a berry version.

Leej - We use just the mango 'sorbet' base for icy-poles (we're dairy free), DS absolutely loves them. We aren't mango fans, but my sister tells me they are like the weiss bars too.  I did freeze and re-blend the mix at once stage to see if it would be a bit more 'sorbetish', but it really is nicer without it! Today we used 2 cans of mango's and 2 frozen cheeks, worked a charm. It makes enough for 12 icy-poles here.

Uni - make sure you take them out of the freezer 15  mins before you are going to eat them. Once frozen slice it then use go betweens then store back in the freezer. Or do individual ones. If making these with berries, I would use 700g of berries.

Denzelmum - We got a tray of mango for $10 and made this.  DD and DS love this!  Made some on tupperware popsicle thingy and some one silicone loaf.  Looks exactly like Weis Bar.  Yummy summer treat.

Marina - I froze the juice from the tinned mangos I used when I made this and will use them in sorbets and smoothies, etc. during the summer.

Kulsha - These taste awesome, I made them into small bars by freezing in a square silicone cake tin - then sliced when both layers frozen. They have a definite 2 colour layer like the commercial ones you buy. Next time I will try coconut cream and I like the idea of the icy pole moulds too. The recipe made about 20 pieces which I cut up and store in plastic container separated with baking paper. They are easy to eat in a small bowl with a small fork (spoon might bounce around a bit until they melt a bit). Yummy - thanks for the recipe !!

Brumington - They are heaven on earth and just like the real thing.

MF - Absolutely delicious. A great recipe and they taste just like the weis bars at a fraction of the cost.

Chookie - Made this again.  Love it.  Cooked some white peaches, no sugar.  Used the peach liquid instead of water,  but followed the recipe replacing mangos with peaches.  Froze some in tray, rest frozen in plastic container. They were delicious.  Served between wafer biscuits.

ES - I had two very ripe mangoes in the fruit bowl and 825g jar of sliced mangoes in the cupboard. I made this up and poured into silicon cup cake moulds.. So easy and soo delicious. Everyone in the family loves these.

MEP - I made these for the first time the other day and they were absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. The recipe reviews and comments found on this forum really are invaluable and priceless in saving you $$ and effort.

Kimmyh - Made half recipe and put into Popsicle moulds. Just need to get layers a bit more even. Really yummy recipe and easier for the children to eat them when on sticks.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:13:39 pm by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Frozen Mango Bars
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 12:13:06 pm »
Sounds and looks very nice RoxyS.  If you check out farfallina's easy strawberry ice-cream recipe here and the comments that followed it, you will have all your questions answered.   I made this ice-cream using mango and evaporated coconut flavoured milk so it is yes to all your questions.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3978.0;topicseen
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 12:28:08 pm »
Thanks JD, appreciate the feedback. You are amazing with your knowledge of what is on the forum. I did check to see if anyone had posted this recipe before doing so. Interesting that there is something quite similar but just that bit different. Great to have my questions answered - certainly opens up the scope of what I can do with the recipe. Am seeking to bump up the amount of fruit we eat seeing as I am not such a great fruit eater.
Sorbets are becoming a regular staple now the weather is warming up.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 02:10:20 pm »
Looks good.

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 12:36:30 am »
Does this taste like a weis bar? My husband loves wies bars, so if i could make them it would be great!

Offline Jabejak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 01:26:28 am »
They look delicious. I have all those ingredients so might give them a go.

Thanks for sharing.
 :)

Offline Kym

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 01:48:25 am »
Looks like I'm going to be doing a half size batch!

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 03:24:18 am »
I can just taste them now Roxy. Just what we needed the other day.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 11:57:03 am »
mel81q according to the reviews on Best Recipes they do taste very much like Weiss bars.

Offline Kym

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:17:11 pm »
I made a half batch yesterday and I agree that they do taste fairly similar to the Weiss bars. 

Offline Renlor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 06:01:07 am »
Yummo!!!  ;D

I'll be putting these straight on my "to-do" pile.

Cheers,

Renae.

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 01:39:23 am »
Thanks RoxyS - have a batch in the freezer right now. Here's hoping DH likes these, as I'm no fan of mango! Very easy to make too!

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 06:10:55 am »
These are just like the weiss bar from the supermarket, probably even better, as these are heaps cheaper to make, and you get plenty out of one batch. DH rated them a 20/10 so must be onto a good thing here. He might just have a new favourite thermomix dessert now. Ta for a great recipe  ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 06:02:01 am »
 :) looks great, i'll make these for the kids. i have a party next week with lots of kids comming over.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 07:22:52 am »
So who is going to be the first to make these in ice-block on a stick moulds  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.