Author Topic: First attempt at preserving! Storage Tips please!  (Read 7793 times)

Offline Sarahm

• View Profile
First attempt at preserving! Storage Tips please!
« on: January 18, 2014, 04:57:30 am »
Hi ladies :)
I'd love any tips to keeping my preserves fresh! I am a complete novice and am semi-petrified of storing food for an extended period of time!

I've only recently made the veggie stock from the EDC and it seems like a lot of stock.

I've just bought a tray of mason jars and I'm hoping to make a tomato relish to start, the recipe on this site seems great! However if it makes 4+ jars... How long can it be stored in the fridge for? Cause it may take me awhile to get through it all :/

I really need a little grandma to come over and share her tricks of the trade! Lol!

If anyone would be willing to take the time to share your expertise, I will be forever grateful!! Thank you!

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
Re: First attempt at preserving! Storage Tips please!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 05:47:16 am »
If you have made your tomato relish correctly and use sterilized jars and new lids you can keep your relish or jams or sauces in a cupboard or pantry. I usually keep mine for about a year but a little longer is OK also. If you keep it in a dark place or cupboard it will keep it's colour.
The most important thing is to use sterilised equipment when making your preserves.
I always keep my veggie stock in the 'fridge.
There are quite a few websites on preserving and canning at home. The Australian websites are suited to our climate and conditions.
Enjoy preserving at home. It is fantastic for using beautiful summer or winter produce home grown or bought cheaply in season.
Sometimes I do a deal with neighbor or friends they give me produce and I preserve it or pickle it and give them a few jars in return.
The thermomix makes it really easy to make jams and pickles etc.
There are some good recipes on the forum.
Good luck.

Offline Sarahm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:39:12 am »
Thanks so much! That's great advice  ;D

Can I ask, is putting hot relish into a sterlised jar with a tight lid enough or when you say it can last a year, do you boil them with lids on etc... Thanks!!

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 06:50:32 am »
Sarah everyone seems to have their own methods for sterilising jars, and they are probably all OK.  When I am making jam or relish, when the mixture has about 20 mins left to cook, I put my clean jars and lids into my oven at 100 degrees.  When the jam or relish is finished, I pour it straight into the very hot jars (careful not to burn yourself!) and screw the lids on tight.  Some people say to turn them upside down while they cool - sometimes I do this if I think the stuff won't leak out.  As they cool, the little "button" thing in the top of the lid should pop down to indicate that it is sealed.  If it seals, I just store it in a dark pantry (remember to label it with what it is and the date you made it).  If for some reason it doesn't seal, I put it into the fridge and use that jar first.  Some of my jams and chutneys and relishes I have kept for 2 years with no problems.

Good luck and have fun!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Sarahm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 06:54:03 am »
Oh really!! Woohoo! Well that sounds easy enough!

Thanks so much for your help! I really, really appreciate if!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 07:09:30 am »
Sarah, I keep my veg stock concentrate in the freezer then I don't have to wonder if it's still OK.  It stays soft because of the salt content so is so easy to just spoon out when you want it.  I use more chicken stock than vegie stock so my batches last ages.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 07:15:26 am »
I forgot about the stock concentrate - I do the same as Judy - I reduce the salt in the concentrate by about 1/3, and I keep it in the freezer.  As Judy says, it is still soft enough to spoon out, and there is no problem about it going off.

The only things I preserve by bottling first and then boiling the jars afterwards is fruit, because the fruit is fresh hasn't been cooked first at all.  I figure with jams, sauce, chutney etc, the mixture has already been cooked, and as long as the jars are sterilised and seal properly, it should all be fine.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
First attempt at preserving! Storage Tips please!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 08:43:25 am »
I do the same as Karen with my jams and the same as Judy with the veggie stock. It really is that easy. Good luck Sarah.

Offline Sarahm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 08:49:51 am »
Oh awesome tip!!! Thank you so so much!