Author Topic: What's for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 5208410 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What's for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #22290 on: October 04, 2023, 07:41:08 am »
Super dooper planning Judy.

I felt like a nice piece of steak tonight, so when I was shopping, I mortgaged the house, and bought a couple of pieces. They even had security protection! A friend gave us some fresh peas so we will have baby jacket potatoes in the AF as well.DH will need onions too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22291 on: October 04, 2023, 09:02:47 am »
Steak is not on the menu these days for many families cookie but occasionally it would be nice to splurge. I’m sure your family will enjoy their lovely meaty meal tonight.
I had minestrone soup tonight as it’s pretty cold at the moment, it was a bought packet of 2 serves - not bad but nothing to rave over, I did eat it. Best part of my meal was some gelato my DD brought down from Gelatissimo at Glenelg - it came in a polystyrene container and will last me a couple of weeks.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22292 on: October 04, 2023, 09:13:21 am »
Veggie soup loaded with Asparagus and garlic bread.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #22293 on: October 04, 2023, 09:48:36 am »
Salmon asparagus risotto. Yum Judy gelato!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #22294 on: October 04, 2023, 08:45:05 pm »
Super dooper planning Judy.

I felt like a nice piece of steak tonight, so when I was shopping, I mortgaged the house, and bought a couple of pieces. They even had security protection! A friend gave us some fresh peas so we will have baby jacket potatoes in the AF as well.DH will need onions too.
I guess it is not surprising as I am a vegetarian, but I hadn't realised that the cost of meat was so high.  I remember when I was in my teens (pre-vege days) you could get a leg of lamb for $2.00!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #22295 on: October 05, 2023, 12:46:25 am »
The sad case is the value of live lamb on the market is halved from last year and then some . What you can get for a sheep is the cost of a pack of lamb chops is the price of a whole sheep sold in the yards ! Yet the butchers in Melbourne are selling lamb cutlets for $79. Kilo, Howes that possible. Obviously it’s cheaper at the supermarkets but still a lot . The fact that there is no change of price in the shops is telling you that all on sellers are taking a huge profit . Agriculture producers are crippled in all areas , so sad . Everything is like this across the board , so we have good years and bad and that is life challenges. Sorry to rant only it’s going to be a very tough time ahead for all and no one benefits from any of this . Also you cannot control the weather no matter what we try . Still eat and enjoy our food .

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22296 on: October 05, 2023, 07:56:32 am »
Some farmers are shooting their sheep as by the time they transport them and pay costs they would be out of pocket. A sad thing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22297 on: October 05, 2023, 08:01:00 am »
KAtie, that is truly awful. As you say, no one benefits.
Early in our married life, when we had 2 small children, one income and little money,I  would go to the wholesale meat market and buy a lamb. I would take a chocolate cake and the men would split the lamb down the middle. I would wrap it in a clean sheet and put it in the boot of the car. My parents would have half and we the other. I would cut it up and freeze what we wouldn’t eat immediately. We ate very well for little cost and a bit of home butchering. No middle man.
Local supermarket, $40 K for lamb cutlets. When I can, I buy a tray of French trimmed lamb cutlets from Cosco.  Last time $80 for 3 K.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22298 on: October 05, 2023, 12:51:48 pm »
We had Sticky Meatballs with Broccoli on noodles.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22299 on: October 06, 2023, 09:53:51 pm »
Last night I had fresh rye/ grain bread with steamed Asparagus with mayonnaise. Tonight I’ll have Mushroom and asparagus risotto.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22300 on: October 07, 2023, 08:18:38 am »
Back on the smoothies. Tonight’s was a pumpkin and banana one https://chefsavvy.com/pumpkin-banana-smoothie/ but I forgot to add the Sustagen which I think would have lifted it. Was OK but a bit tart with the yoghurt. Will remember the Sustagen for when I use the other 2 dump bags I have in the freezer for this particular recipe.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22301 on: October 07, 2023, 11:59:40 am »
We had pizza tonight. The bases rose quickly as it’s been fairly warm.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22302 on: October 07, 2023, 08:30:16 pm »
Good try Judy. I’ve had fun looking at lots of smoothie recipes but that pumpkin one did surprise me.
I didn’t get around to making the Risotto because I discovered 2 steamed corn cobs. I made corn fritters instead from RTE. The adaptation of Bill Grangers recipe. They were excellent. I added a large Wasabi leaf to the mix. I made a salad from a whole small lettuce from the garden.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22303 on: October 08, 2023, 09:01:55 am »
Pear cucumber smoothie https://iliveforgreens.com/pear-cucumber-smoothie/#recipe with added Sustagen and 1 T flaxseed with chia and almonds.  This made 2 smoothies for me, it wasn’t too bad but wouldn’t be among my favourites.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #22304 on: October 08, 2023, 07:05:53 pm »
Judy, thanks for posting your smoothie reviews.  I am following them with a great deal of interest as I know I really should start making them, but I am never really happy with the recipes - I usually fall back on plain fruit with a few seeds / nuts thrown in.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.