Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507610 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #1275 on: March 11, 2014, 06:53:42 pm »
I am rereading Cross Stitch/Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, gearing up for the TV series later in the year.  Cannot wait! :)
Is Cross Stitch the first or fourth book in the series?  I have just been on the Amazon site and in one place it says it is book one, in another area it says it is book four ... I am confused!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 12, 2014, 08:24:47 am »
Cross stitch is first. Brilliant series, have read them all.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #1277 on: March 22, 2014, 04:41:56 am »
Just Been lent the fishing fleet. By Anne de courcy
( husband hunting in the raj)

It comes very recommended by sister, mother and mother's good friend.

Expect it will take ages as not much time for reading!

Ooooo that is on my wish list along with about 40 others! So little time and so many books!

I have finished Agatha Christie (not all of them of course as there was about 80 in the set I got for the ereader) and have moved on to Arthur Upfield and one of his Bony stories about the Australian bush around 1930. I like paper books as well but some of them get a bit heavy to hold.

I agree troupie. No good in the bath either.  at least I can hold the kindle with one hand and a glass in the other

Gert

LOVED the Fishing Fleet - read it last year after she was here at Writers Week.

I've been a very neglectful forum member of late, so missed the fact that you were here for Writers Week, Gretchen! It would have been good to catch up over a drink or two.

Writers Week was wonderful, yet again. I read several writers before it began ( Margaret Drabble, Jung Chang & Elizabeth Gilbert) and enjoyed them all. Have also read Helen Dunmore's The Lie after listening to her speak. It was an excellent book and beautifully written. It was particularly evocative for me as we visited the Somme in January.

Also thoroughly enjoyed "Swindled" by Bee Wilson. It's all about the history of food fraud - past & current - very interesting.

Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 24, 2014, 02:15:24 am »
Gone Fishing by Susan Duncan, a Christmas present put on the ereader for me. Have also read her Salvation Creek books which I loved.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 24, 2014, 02:20:38 am »
I am rereading Cross Stitch/Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, gearing up for the TV series later in the year.  Cannot wait! :)
Is Cross Stitch the first or fourth book in the series?  I have just been on the Amazon site and in one place it says it is book one, in another area it says it is book four ... I am confused!
I am just about to finish Cross Stitch and start on the second book in the series.  I find I have been having trouble putting the book down, so I may have to take a wee "catch up on everything I haven't done for the past two weeks" break before starting on book 2.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 24, 2014, 03:24:01 am »
Gone Fishing by Susan Duncan, a Christmas present put on the ereader for me. Have also read her Salvation Creek books which I loved.

Loved her books Troupie. Especially since I know that house. and  area. Dry well. We used to have a big ole boat on Pittwater. Lovely place.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 24, 2014, 03:25:52 am »
[Writers Week was wonderful, yet again. I read several writers before it began ( Margaret Drabble, Jung Chang & Elizabeth Gilbert) and enjoyed them all. Have also read Helen Dunmore's The Lie after listening to her speak. It was an excellent book and beautifully written. It was particularly evocative for me as we visited the Somme in January.]

I was a looking out fer ya Amanda but failed to see ya. I had a drink fer ya anyway!

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 24, 2014, 06:30:48 am »
My last Book Club book was by Louise Penny. I really enjoyed it so will be looking out for some more of her books. They are another crime lot. At the moment DD is doing some judging for Australian Romance books, so I am reading them and offering my 2 cents worth. Not that it is being taken though. Very light, fluffy reading. I am enjoying them in between my crime books though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #1283 on: March 24, 2014, 10:54:29 am »
My last Book Club book was by Louise Penny. I really enjoyed it so will be looking out for some more of her books. They are another crime lot. At the moment DD is doing some judging for Australian Romance books, so I am reading them and offering my 2 cents worth. Not that it is being taken though. Very light, fluffy reading. I am enjoying them in between my crime books though.

I devour Louise Penny books, Cookie & now also Anne Cleeves who writes the Vera Stanhope series among many others.
I'm having to limit myself with Cleeves - she's written so very many that I'd never get around to reading anything else.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 24, 2014, 12:17:01 pm »
I'll look out for the Anna Cleeves books Amanda. Thanks.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 25, 2014, 09:37:52 am »
Gert you are lucky to know the house from the Salvation Creek books; One gets an image from the book of what it looks like and I can imagine walking up all those steps to get home with the shopping. I love hearing about all the books others read on this site as some of the authors I haven't heard of so new ones to read. Thanks to all.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 25, 2014, 09:53:28 am »
Troupie you might like this book set  in the  same area. I know this cafe very very well. Scotland Island is just off the  wharf.

Gone Fishing by Susan Duncan

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 25, 2014, 11:04:40 am »
I have just started reading my book club book for this month. Where'dmYou Go Bernadette?

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 27, 2014, 05:26:27 am »
Thanks Gert; I loved that book.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: April 03, 2014, 10:55:28 pm »
I just read the Soldiers Wife by Joanna Trollope, an excellent read and very accurate and insightful too. Two of my friends from my youth were army wives.