Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 510074 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #390 on: October 16, 2012, 03:43:37 am »
There are a more bad reviews than I've seen before but when you actually read the reviews some are complaining about applications such text to voice which are no longer included, and people just haven't read the information well enough. There are quite a lot of people unhappy and there appears to be a lot of people who have returned them because of screen problems. That's the big problem of using a freight forwarder but I'm not happy using the one Australian distributor who has quite a bad reputation and charging over $100 more. Just waiting on the freight forwarder to get back to me and then I'll hopefully put in an order.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 16, 2012, 05:32:03 am »
I reckon they prob release to the American market first and then other countries so they are able to stagger the demand. We will prob be able order one in January, so I will wait until then. Would rather keep my $100 to myself unless there was some legitimate advantage.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Mama Fergie

« Reply #392 on: October 16, 2012, 07:18:19 am »
Will be interesting to see how good they are.
I won't consider buying one until I hear from someone who is using it.
I am happy with my fiction and non fiction on my kindle and my cookbooks on the iPad. Haven't downloaded onto my phone as I know I would never read from the phone as its too small a screen to be enjoyable.
Just love ebooks as so convenient. :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 16, 2012, 10:42:30 am »
I'm reading another of Katherine Howell's books. I like hers. They are light. She write about paramedics as I think she was one. She is Australian.  Great to read with DH speaking all the time.  :)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 16, 2012, 11:26:17 am »
Got the quote from te freight forwarder nd it's $147 so I think I'll put in an order tomorrow. I don't expect it will arrive r qute a whie but that's fine because I just bought new batteries for my current light.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 16, 2012, 11:38:05 am »
Got the quote from te freight forwarder nd it's $147 so I think I'll put in an order tomorrow. I don't expect it will arrive r qute a whie but that's fine because I just bought new batteries for my current light.

Wonder I think I missed something. Who are you buying the Kindle from and why are you using a freight forwarder?

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 16, 2012, 01:30:55 pm »
Yeh, I'm curious too...I'd pay $147

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 16, 2012, 01:40:53 pm »
The reader shop has the paperlight for $230. I have bought stuff from them before.

http://www.readershop.com.au/

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 16, 2012, 02:25:20 pm »
Good thinking Wonder. I remember a topic on A Current Affair a while back and so have contacted the company they mentioned called PriceUSA. hopefully this will also mean that books not available for Australia will be able to download because it was purchased in the US. I will report back on cost.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 16, 2012, 03:00:19 pm »
CP to purchase us book your kindle has to be registered with an US address and US credit card, even the IP address has to be US. If you find away around it let me know cause there are a few books I would love to get.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 16, 2012, 05:58:29 pm »
I went to bed at 11pm last night and opened JoJo Moyes Me before You - well at 3am I put the finished book down and finally switched off the light....unputdownable. Really good story line and a very interesting insightful view on a difficult subject. Maybe I should start a new book instead of watching Junior Masterchef Australia on TV.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 16, 2012, 09:23:51 pm »
I'm using a freight forwarder because the paperwhite hasnt officially been released in Australia yet so the only way to get one is either through Readershop which charges a high premium and has also had a lot of bad reviews over the years, or via a freight forwarder. I've used priceUSA before and their service was fantastic so happy to use them again for this. I'm happy to purchase the cheaper version which has the ads (DH has the touch with ads and it's never been an issue), comparing the $230 from Readershop with approximately $150 from price USA, I'm more than happy to wait the extra postage time which should see my current light batteries out.

CP this won't get around the zone restrictions placed on purchasing books not allowed in Australia, this new kindle while purchased in the US will be linked to my current Amazon account so all the same restrictions aply. There are ways around the restrictions but unless you have a US credit card and IP address the chances of getting caught are very high and Amazon are able to delete from your library any books purchased that have circumvented the zone restrictions.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 16, 2012, 10:22:25 pm »
Well wonder I can't wait for you to get your new kindle and give us a review.  Hope you like it.

Gert

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 17, 2012, 01:54:26 pm »
I have bought several books in the last couple of days. One is called "Sammy I Love You" and it is probably one of the most inspiring books I have ever read:

"Sally Nielson is a wedding planner whose own wedding plans were turned upside down when her fiance suffered a catastrophic stroke, leaving him completely dependent on Sally and his family for all his needs. When others said she should put him in a home and get on with her life, Sallly refused. Sam was the love of her life and she was going to stand by him regardless.
As Sally fought to bring back the man who was her world, she wrote in a series of diaries about her hopes, her anger and her frustration, but above all else her ever-strengthening love for Sam. With searing honesty, Sally recorded the highs of each small step in Sam's recovery and the plummeting lows of her own depression and loneliness. Here are those diaries."

I love it already and I've hardly even started it :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 17, 2012, 02:29:17 pm »
I ordered the kindle today but I also ordered a couple of other things to make the postage worthwhile. It's an experiment more than anything, apart from the fact I really want this kindle  :D