Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 515578 times)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #705 on: February 01, 2013, 07:12:38 am »

I'm seriously considering getting a kindle that conects to the internet. Probably need a few tips and hints as to which one would suit me.

I have this model and love it to bits - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=fs_kk3g
Like Gert, I got the leather cover with a light in it to preserve my marriage.  I got the 3G so I had a choice between wifi or 3G.  It's very handy when travelling.
This is my second one - I gave the first to my 80 year old mother who loves it too!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 01, 2013, 07:35:18 am »
On my previous 5 I had 3G but thought it was a waste of money for something I don't need.  I can download books well in advance for travelling and there are plenty of wifi places if you forget  including Maccas.

If you get the paperwhite like CP you don't need a lighted cover. 

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 01, 2013, 07:47:22 am »
About to start "The Great Deception"  Joy Chambers

My Kindle has 3G and Wifi and must admit I use the Wifi the most.  Have the cover with the light also.  Love it.

Marie

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 01, 2013, 07:47:34 am »
I bought myself the paper white kindle for Xmas love it just need to find more time to read. I had the original kindle this new one is so much lighter. Mine is 3G and wifi.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 01, 2013, 09:39:31 am »
I'm trying to read my way through the stack of books on my bedside table. I've finally read Maaza Mengiste,s "Beneath the Lions Gaze" set in Ethiopia on during the revolution. It made me so glad that I live in a country with a stable government.
I then read "Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End" by Leif Persson. I liked parts of this novel, but it had far too much political intrigue for my liking. I need to read something lightweight next.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 01, 2013, 10:18:13 am »
I have just started reading Animal  People by Charlotte Wood as she is one of the authors  speaking at the up coming writers festival in Adelaide. Why oh why did I not read this before? I am only  just into it and am engrossed.

Gert
I just downloaded two of  her books from the library, Animal people and The Children,started on the children and just enjoying it so much

Offline Amanda_01

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 02, 2013, 03:31:52 am »
Now reading a book called adrenaline by jeff Abbott.  Sort of a jack reacher-style book. Not a literary giant, but a nice time waster.   :)

I have the kindle with keyboard and 3G, hubby has the one without, and wifi. The lighted case is so much better on the non-keyboard version.  a keyboard is handy at times, but mot enough to warrant the extra weight I don't think.  after initially setting up my different folders, I don't use the keyboard a whole lot. Tbh I think the 3G is a bit of a waste of time/money, we have wifi at home, but we tend to load a whole bunch of books at once, usually I do it via my computer because I find it easier to read the blurbs/reviews etc on the computer.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #712 on: February 02, 2013, 04:35:39 am »
I'm an impulse buyer, so love the 3G - means I can indulge in retail therapy the moment I see a book I want.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 02, 2013, 05:19:55 am »
As I have 3G on my mini iPad I can down load to that and wi if it to my Kindle. Don't you love. Technology!!!

Actually, I don't mind reading on my mini.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 03, 2013, 03:40:57 am »
half way through my Suart Macbride ebook and it got deleted as it was due back,  😭😪😥 I was enjoying it too. There are two other readers waiting for it so by the time I get to have it again I will have forgotten the story!!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 03, 2013, 06:24:24 am »
That was a b........r. I am reading chic lit that DD was given. Beneath Outback Skies by Alissa Callen. So far it seems to be very similar to the others I have read. " Girl looks like losing propert, bou comes along, after a few hurdles all turns out well. "

Book club on Tuesday so it will be interesting to see what they have chosen for us this month.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #716 on: February 03, 2013, 06:56:19 am »
Quiet morning here today.
Everyone else slept in, just leaving me up with the interwebz and my PayPal account.
Six books later .........   :-))   ;D

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 03, 2013, 09:11:03 am »
You are naughty Amanda ;D

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #718 on: February 03, 2013, 09:16:18 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline deedub

• View Profile
Re: Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #719 on: February 05, 2013, 11:27:49 am »
I've just finished The Help. Loved it, read some every spare minute I had which is why I haven't been on the forum for a few days!
Melbourne, inner north