Author Topic: Cooking for one  (Read 5146 times)

Offline Lees75

• View Profile
Cooking for one
« on: June 06, 2012, 02:05:27 am »
My kids are with their dad for the long weekend. Are there many recipes for one? I know I could just cook some normal recipes and then freeze the rest, but the recipes seem to be just perfect for 2 nights for the kids and me.

I know I could just chuck in a bit of this and that but I am not exactly a "chuck in" type cook
Lisa from Adelaide

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: Cooking for one
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 02:08:25 am »
I would halve some recipes maybe. Or take the opportunity to cook up a storm, and freeze in meal sizes for when you are rushing around and don't have time.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 02:12:58 am »
I'd make myself something luxurious. Something you  love but is a bit too expensive to have when everyone is home. Perhaps with a lovely chocolate or something to follow.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:26:24 am »
Lees 75, I wouldn't make 1 serve too often if I was alone apart from a drink perhaps. I'd still make pots of soup and freeze them in 1 serve sizes so that I had a choice.  I would perhaps halve a 4 serving recipe, eat one and freeze the other and the only thing I would make as a 1 serve would be to steam either a chicken or salmon fillet whilst cooking the required amount of vegies below in the steaming basket.  Once the kids come back home, if you have a few single portions in the freezer, one night you can have pot luck to get rid of them. I would also grab some friends and go out for a meal if I had a child-free weekend  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 02:54:41 am »
If my kids are away I make myself something spicy like a Thai curry then freeze the rest for next time I feel like a grown up meal.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 03:06:36 am »
I work along the same lines as deedub. If I am only cooking for myself for one night, I cook a big batch of something I really enjoy and keep the leftovers for when the rest of the family have something I don't like ;)

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 03:27:43 am »
I'd make myself something luxurious. Something you  love but is a bit too expensive to have when everyone is home. Perhaps with a lovely chocolate or something to follow.

I like this idea deedub.  Treat yourself to your favourite meal!

mcmich

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:01:34 am »
That's an excellent idea. Indulge yourself, light candles and a really nice wine.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:14:26 am »
I would be making currys, spicy food, anything that kids dont like. Freeze & enjoy the rest later

Then i would cook them up a fav meal & eat my curry. I do this with my ds.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......