Author Topic: Thermomix vs Hotmixpro (gastro)  (Read 83606 times)

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
Re: Thermomix vs Hotmixpro (gastro)
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2012, 12:08:03 pm »
Thought you might like to read an update on my new Hotmix Pro.  I've been cooking up a storm lately and his machine is certainly living up to my expectations.

Made jam, using the cook to temp setting (in this case 110 degrees) and then turn off.  Jam was perfect and no scum on top.

Made a spice mix.  Thirty seconds on  speed 8 and even the hardest grains were pulverised to a fine powder.

Made mushroom risotto using a thermomix recipe.  Excellent result.

Made a loaf of wholemeal bread.  Now this was interesting.  It was a pretty cold day, not ideal for proofing bread dough.  I usually sit my bread dough on the window sill in the sun.  No sun so I decided to try something different.  HMP has a controlled low setting, and as the heating element comes up to about a third of the side of the jug, I put the normal ingredients in, mixed it on "pulse" setting which is pretty much the same as "knead" on the TX and when it was finished, let it sit in the jug to proof at a temperature of 29 degrees with the blades turned off.  Forgot about it while I was doing housework, till I glanced at HMP to see the measuring cup sitting on top of a plume of bread dough slowly working it's way out through the hole in the lid.  Hmmmmm well that works  :D

Bread was very light with lots and lots of tiny holes (is that called a fine crumb) don't know the technical term, but you'll know what I mean.  So, yes, it makes a good loaf of bread and proofing in the bowl was a bonus.  You won't find that written in the instruction book.  I just made it up myself  ;D

I'm going to try some toffee next - just because I can - all for the grandchildren of course.  None for me  :-)
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2012, 12:11:27 pm »
Merrilyn sounds like your having lots of fun with your new machine. Great to have some first hand info from a x-TM owner (I'm assuming you have passed the TM on to you DD) well done
:)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2012, 12:29:14 pm »
Oh yes dede.  She's loving it.  Well who wouldn't.  And it saves her having to drive to my house to borrow it   :D :D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2012, 12:57:45 pm »
Thanks Merrilyn for keeping us informed.  I for one am interested to see how it goes.  Would love to know how it sautees onions and whether it can do them as good as in a frypan. Please, if you do any, let me/us know.  :D

Also like how you can set for the jelling temp of jam and then have it turn off.  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2012, 01:16:21 pm »
I'm enjoying reading your review Merrilyn. It sounds as though it may give the TMX a run for it's money.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2012, 01:59:14 pm »
Julie, just tried sautéing some onions.  Five minutes on speed 1 and temp 110 and the onions were transparent and well cooked.

Cookie, It does a lot of things really well, as good as thermy so far, but I'm missing the scales and the varoma.  But I do love the extra heat (up to 130 degrees) and being able to turn off the blades so it can be used just like a saucepan.  I'm slowly getting used to using all the extra features, like the cook to temperature and then either stop or ask it to cook for a set time at that temp.  And on low  speeds, it's really quiet.

I have to say that it's the only machine I've seen that even comes close to thermie in quality but it does have extra features that thermie does not have.  Then again, thermie has a varoma and scales which HMP doesn't have.  I love my thermie, it really taught me how to cook, but if I was ever to buy another machine,  I'd buy another HMP.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2012, 12:49:56 am »
Thanks for doing that Merrilyn, sounds perfect to me.  :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2012, 01:28:28 am »
Merrilyn, thans so much for taking the time to post your experiences with the HMP . I find it really interesting.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2012, 01:31:00 am »
JulieO, you want the onions browned/caramelized though don't you?  Merrilyn's onions in the Hotmix Pro sound the same as if they were cooked in our TMX for that length of time using varoma temp.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 17, 2012, 02:03:07 am »
I want onions golden like in a frypan.  No amount of cooking on Varoma does this for me.  I can always detect a rawness in both smell and taste.  Thought the higher temp that the HMP can go to might counteract this.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2012, 02:31:51 am »
Sounds like the HMP is going to give thermomix a alternative.

Robyn :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

mcmich

« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2012, 05:22:11 am »
Competition is always good.

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2012, 05:54:08 am »
JulieO, you want the onions browned/caramelized though don't you?  Merrilyn's onions in the Hotmix Pro sound the same as if they were cooked in our TMX for that length of time using varoma temp.

Sorry, I should have explained it a bit better.  The onions were beginning to brown on the edges at the 5 minute mark.  Had I let them go longer, or used a higher temp they would have been caramelised.  At the transparent/golden stage they were well cooked and no raw taste.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2012, 08:07:50 am »
Oh you lucky thing Merrilyn! When I win Lotto this weekend I'm going to buy a  HMP - sounds like a winner!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2012, 08:50:23 am »
Ah, that's better then Merrilyn.  Now I see the difference.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.