Author Topic: Thermomix vs Hotmixpro (gastro)  (Read 83600 times)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: Thermomix vs Hotmixpro (gastro)
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2012, 07:52:10 am »
I emailed hot mix pro website, and they rang me within 2 hours....

Now to read up on it.
Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2012, 11:28:49 am »
Well, DH picked up my Hotmix Pro this afternoon.

First impression out of the box, good looking machine.  Not ultra stylish, but neat and business like.  Very well packed.  I think it would arrive safely no matter how rough the delivery people were.  I ordered the EASY, not because of the price, but simply because I thought I would never use the inbuilt recipes, as I have my iPad set up with my recipes and I'm used to using that.  I also don't make confectionery, so a temperature of 130 is fine for the cooking I do.

Hmmm what to make.  It's 5.30 and we usually eat at 6 so it has to be something simple.  Decide on some braised steak and onions and steamed vegetables.  Even after a brief read of the instruction book, I felt comfortable with the controls.  The screen guides you through, and it's pretty idiot proof. You just need to remember the sequence temp, speed, time.  I've written myself a little post-it note for the moment till it becomes second nature.

First impression on cooking - wow, this baby is quiet.

Cooked the onions in a bit of oil on 130 for 5 minutes and set aside.  Added the diced beef and a little oil at 130 and after 5 minutes on speed 2 the meat had a nice colour.  Put it all together with some beef stock and set the timer for 30 minutes speed 1 temp 110.

Hotmix Pro does not come with a varoma, but the steamer part of my saucepan set fits perfectly on the lid, so in go the vegetables.  Not sure if you're supposed to set it up that way, but hey, it works, and everything was beautifully cooked.  At the end of cooking, HMP beeped for 30 seconds and turned itself off.

Thirty minutes later we are sitting down to a delicious meal.

Things I really like:-

The lid.  Love the way the lid can be lifted up to add ingredients without taking it off completely. And it's easy to fit.  A simple click - lock.  And the measuring cup locks into place, so it doesn't fall out when the lid is lifted.

The noise - it's certainly quieter than thermie.  We were able to watch television quite comfortably with HMP cooking away on speed 2  On speed 10 it's probably the same as Thermie but maybe at a lower pitch so it doesn't appear to be as loud.

Turning off the blades.  I started the cooking using the blades on 1 but 15 minutes into cooking, turned them off completely.  The meat stayed in nice chunks.  I could have probably used either of the two super slow speeds, but wanted to see how it worked if I turned the blades off completely. No sticking!

Steamer insert.  Although not supplied with the machine, the steamer insert is stainless steel with a wire handle.  I think the price was around $78 plus GST, money well spent.

Things I miss :-

The Varoma.  I really like steaming my veggies, but using the top of my steamer saucepan set worked really well so it's easy to get around.

That's about it for now.  I haven't really had time to have a thorough test, but so far, I'm delighted with my purchase.

I'll give you further updates as I get into more complicated cooking.
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2012, 11:33:12 am »
Forgot to mention the cost.  I paid $2156 for the HMP and the additional stainless steel steamer basket (including GST).  I was fortunate enough to get my order in during the promotion and received a free additional bowl and blades set.  Love having two bowls to work with  ;)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2012, 12:23:53 pm »
I so liike being able to  turn the blades OFF with not sticking so meat still in chunks. Also the higher temp being able to brown. We are going to need a diary on this. LOL!

AND THE QUIET. I sometimes have to move mine into the laundry because I can't stand the NOISE!

Gert
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:25:45 pm by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2012, 07:11:41 pm »
i wonder how it would go cooking a bolognese sauce. would love to rent one for a week  :-))

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2012, 09:38:04 pm »
If you have a favourite recipe fundj, I'll gladly give it a try for you.

mcmich

« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2012, 09:53:25 pm »
Thanks Merrilyn. It all sounds quite positive. Keep us updated.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2012, 10:09:10 pm »
thanks for the offer  Merrilyn  :-*

Its not really a recipes just some onions, carrots and some celery and the  quantities i make would not fit in it, 1kg mince and a tin (3kg) of tomatoes, and i cook it for 3 to 4 hours. Have u made bol sauce in the TM before, did u like it ?  u should make one of ur recipes in the HOTMIX and  see which u like the best.  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:08:18 pm by fundj »

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2012, 01:00:05 am »
Sounds really promising Merrilyn. I love that you can turn the blades off.

Uni - do you really use 3kg of tomatoes to 1kg meat in your sauce? I use a similar recipe and normally cook for about 4 hours but I'm going to try having a go in the pressure cooker and see how it comes out.

Offline HotmixPRO

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2012, 01:08:08 am »
Hi Merrilyn, am glad that you are happy with the HMP Easy. Are you aware that you do not need to set the time. The EASY can cook to temperature. For example if you are making a custard, and set say 82°C, then the HMP will switch off at 82°C. No need to set the time......

But or course you can cook to time as well,

Enjoy! :) :) :) :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2012, 01:29:41 am »
Merrrilyn sounds good, keep us updated.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2012, 03:44:25 am »
correct me if i am wrong, it doesn't have a knead option does it ?

the brioche recipe http://www.hotmixpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9%3A22-brioche-dough&catid=3%3Adoughs&Itemid=3&lang=en

*** 10 sec go / 2 sec stop / 10 sec go / 2 sec stop / 10 sec go / 2 sec stop / 10 sec go / 2 sec stop

It has a pulse action that will act like the knead function…

SO Much to do and so little time to come on here and tell you about it…but let me say, happy days….LOVE the quiet, LOVE the no stir function, LOVE the fact I can cook with out timing it and when it reaches temp it turns off….Miss the scale (but that is just cos I am so used to it, not a big deal) and would miss the Varoma if I didnt have a steam oven, (oh and that other thermomix that I still own!! hahaha with a Varoma of course!!) Love the precision of temperature as well…so far so good kids, promise there will be proper blog post soon discussing it…just frantic…frantic, frantic…Thai Thai again classes should be up tomorrow night…so hope WA books in! (All thermomix FYI)
 ;D ;D

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2012, 04:00:24 am »
Sounds really promising Merrilyn. I love that you can turn the blades off.

Uni - do you really use 3kg of tomatoes to 1kg meat in your sauce? I use a similar recipe and normally cook for about 4 hours but I'm going to try having a go in the pressure cooker and see how it comes out.

i didnt not mean in the TM Wonder on the stove top, i dont think it would thicken up in the PC

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2012, 06:21:29 am »
uni, i was more interested in the ratio of meat to tomatoes in your recipe, we use a much lower %. I'll need to try adding the minimum amount of liquid and then maybe use the browning function at the end if there is still to much liquid. I'll only do a smaller quantity to see how it turns out

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2012, 10:20:59 am »
I know you have to wait for the HotMix Pro Creative to be available in Australia, but to give you a rough guideline to the price, in the UK it is £4,692.00 ATM, which is about AU$ 7483.00  ??? although I suppose it depends on the import duties and taxes that you have there, plus I presume that they would be expensive to transport that distance.

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire