Author Topic: Sang choy bow  (Read 12378 times)

Offline dyljon

• View Profile
Sang choy bow
« on: December 18, 2010, 09:36:50 am »
This is my first attempt at a recipe conversion, and it worked out pretty well... adapted from CSIRO Total wellbeing diet bk 1.

Name of Recipe: Sang Choy Bow
Number of People: 2-4 depending on how hungry you are!
Ingredients:
1 iceberg lettuce (or baby cos)
6 water chestnuts, finely chopped (could do this in tmx at start I guess - I forgot so did it by hand.)
1 tbs EVOO
8 shiitake mushrooms (I use dried and soak them in boiling water for 5 mins)
2 cloves garlic
2cm piece ginger
400g lean minced pork (or pork/veal mince)
50g dried rice vermicelli, soaked in hot water for 10 mins then roughly chopped
2 tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs salt-reduced soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 small red chilli (or more if you're like me!)
1 egg
hoisin sauce
4 spring onions finely sliced

Preparation:
Discard outer leaves of lettuce, then cut whole leaves from head to form cups. Set aside.

Chop garlic and ginger 3 seconds, speed 7, then scrape down sides of bowl. Add EVOO and shiitakes, saute 2 mins, varoma temp, speed 1.

Add mince, cook 8 mins, :-: ^^, placing steamer bowl on lid instead of MC.

Add water chestnuts and noodles for 3 mins, 100 temp,  :-: ^^

Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, cornflour, chilli and egg. Cook 10 mins, 100 temp,  :-: ^^

Allow to cool slightly before dividing into lettuce cups. Drizzle hoisin sauce over top and sprinkle on sring onions.

Tips/Hints:
I sometimes don't bother with the lettuce and just eat this as a bowl of mince! In its proper lettuce form it's nice alongside some steamed Asian greens.

members' comments

Maluhia - Husband thinks that this is proof, after this and the chili con carne debacle, that Thermomix food is bland.  I think I really needed to heed the suggestion and add more than one chili.  I felt like the recipe base was a good basic Asian flavor throughout but the lack of browning that happens to the meat, etc. in the thermomix might impede some of the taste. 
Do you notice a difference in the taste for this dish when you use a saucepan and fry vs. the thermomix?

dyljon - I didn't notice a taste difference but a texture difference. The mince was a bit "mushier" than in the frypan. I personally use more garlic, ginger and chilli than suggested in the recipe, but put down quantities here from the book. While I am still new to the world of tmx, I have noticed already that you do need to add more spice/seasoning etc to compensate for the non-browning issue.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:53:53 am by judydawn »
Donella - Happy Valley SA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sang choy bow
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 12:26:50 pm »
Sounds like a great recipe dyljon - we can certainly do with more Asian recipes on here.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Maluhia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 01:26:06 am »
I am so making this for lunch today!

Offline Maluhia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 04:42:45 am »
Reporting back - made it. 

Husband thinks that this is proof, after this and the chili con carne debacle, that Thermomix food is bland.  I think I really needed to heed the suggestion and add more than one chili.  I felt like the recipe base was a good basic asian flavor throughout but the lack of browning that happens to the meat, etc. in the thermomix might impede some of the taste. 

OP, do you notice a difference in the taste for this dish when you use a saucepan and fry vs. the thermomix?

Offline dyljon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 06:03:49 am »
Hi Maluhia - I didn't notice a taste difference, but a texture difference. The mince was a bit "mushier" than in the frypan. I personally use more garlic, ginger and chilli than suggested in the recipe, but put down quantities here from the book. While I am still new to the world of tmx, I have noticed already that yiou do need to add more spice/seasoning etc to compensate for the non-browning issue.
Donella - Happy Valley SA

Offline Maluhia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 06:08:16 am »
I agree the TMX does much better with MORE spice added, that is my next trick :)

Offline natalia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 07:20:55 am »
Hi, what temperature do you cook the mince at? Thanks.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 05:20:33 am »
I don't like the texture of mince in the TM

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 08:00:44 am »
I love my thermie for almost everything - except mince.  Now that my kids are older (and not hanging off me :-)) I have reverted back to using the stove top for mince. I make a Sang Choy Bow mix on the stove top (similar recipe with more chili and brown rice instead of the rice noodles).   :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 07:53:31 pm »
Yummy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url