Author Topic: Chow- mein - achookwoman  (Read 30963 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Chow- mein - achookwoman
« on: November 28, 2009, 01:29:34 am »
Chow-mein

Ingredients:

300 g. minced steak
1 dessertspoon oil
1 packet of chicken noodle soup,
1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
1 Tblsp. of rice
2 tsp. curry powder
1 small onion chopped
350g. mixed vegetables [ I use carrot, French beans, celery, cabbage and mushrooms.]
2 cups of water

Method:

Cook mince with oil in TM for 5 minutes at 100oC (TMXr's note - Varoma temp may be better here?) on   ^^ gentle  :-:reverse, with Measuring Cup out.

Add rest of ingredients to TM bowl and cook for 15 mins. at 100oC on   ^^ gentle  :-: reverse, with Measuring Cup out.

Tips:

Kids of all ages love this. You may wish to add more curry for adults.

Variations:

1. can stir bean shoots into mixture at end.

2. can serve over noodles

3. can add water chestnuts

An easy meal in 20 mins.

Originally from here: http://achookwoman.blogspot.com/2009/11/chow-mein.html

members' comments

JD - I always found this one to taste so much better the next day. I had cut up too many vegies (did them all by hand whilst the meat was sauteeing so that this one would look exactly like we are used to having it, doesn't take long) so put them all in (around 600g), sauteed the onion first with the mince in the preheated oil.  Once I added the vegies I cooked it on speed 2, reverse and it didn't mush anything up.  Will be serving it with mashed potatoes, our favourite side dish with this recipe.  Apart from a couple of changes, I followed your recipe and am very pleased with it.  Turned out thicker than the batch I used to make in my dutch oven - it's really nice.
Leftovers - served over baked jacket potatoes and I also made some spring rolls using spring roll pastry - they were delicious. Freeze them uncooked or you can even make them earlier in the day and cook later - just keep them covered in glad wrap so they don't dry out too much.  Either spray with oil or melted butter and cook in the oven or deep fry them if you want them really crispy and brown'

maddy - thank you Chookie......hubby gave it a thumbs up. I sneakily blitzed all the veggies up fine, then when finished I scattered through some beans.....kids thought that was the only veggies in it then.

CC - I made this and we all loved it. Thanks Chookie. Found this if anyone is interested.
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/chicken-noodle-soup-mix-in-a-jar-406268

Seezora - we LOVED it. I used a packet of French Onion Soup mix instead and a small tin of champignon bits and pieces (as well as carrot and cabbage which I chopped whilst the meat and onion were cooking) served on rice. I think this has become a family favourite.  Thanks for posting!

em - it got the thumbs up here, will make again.

thermo 18 - Really love this meal, had it last night, even better today with left overs for lunch.

Thermomix Lover - This meal was a hit with the Family!!!

jeninwa - my family make pies with this recipe.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:39:18 am by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Chow- mein - achookwoman
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 01:31:59 am »
Thanks chookie.  I know JD will appreciate this.

Just wonder if you put the oil in and heat the TM bowl at Varoma for 3 minutes before adding the mince and then continue at Varoma it may cook better and less stewing of the meat (BUT I HAVEN'T MADE IT AND YOU HAVE !!)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:45:46 am »
We used to have this last century. Might have to try it in the TMX.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 07:47:20 am »
Yes, same here Cookie1, have been making it for years and was thrilled to bits when I saw it on achookwoman's blog.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:47:04 pm »
OMG. We are all showing our age aren't we. I will be trying this for old times sake as well. ;) ;)
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 10:52:51 am »
On my mums recipe:

it has 500g mince (perhaps too much for TM bowl and given that you have probably already tried this before posting), no mention of the chicken stock (so I will delete seeing as we already have the chicken noodle soup with saltiness), and instead of the french beans (which are probably great) will add mums chopped green capsicum. (I would recommend that people slice the cabbage thinly by hand in lieu of doing a quick chop in the TM if you want the original version). 

I didn't particularly like the version in the Budget Busters. Yay no more heavy frypan to wash, this is an all time fave  8) Thanks Chookie
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:33:09 pm by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 06:44:30 am »
I have just made this recipe for tomorrow's lunch - I always found this one to taste so much better the next day. I had cut up too many vegies (did them all by hand whilst the meat was sauteeing so that this one would look exactly like we are used to having it, doesn't take long) so put them all in (around 600g), sauteed the onion first with the mince in the preheated oil.  Once I added the vegies I cooked it on speed 2, reverse and it didn't mush anything up.  Will be serving it with mashed potatoes, our favourite side dish with this recipe.  Apart from a couple of changes, I followed your recipe and am very pleased with it.  Turned out thicker than the batch I used to make in my dutch oven - is really nice.  Thanks Chookie.  Passing this one onto my DD as she also still makes this one, especially in winter.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 08:46:04 am »
Judydawn,                     I like the way you went about this.   I first made this to take to a school camp all the little kids loved it.I have just made 2 biscuit slices , converted to T.M., I looked at the site and couldn't find anything similar.   They are made with a crushed biscuit base.   May be I'm looking in the wrong spot.    I looked under cakes.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 08:49:05 am »
We don't have a real spot for biscuits/slices chookie. Perhaps we should as we have quite a few of them. I just put them under cakes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 04:14:14 am »
Good thing I made this yesterday for today.  DD & family called in this morning so I made some mashed potato, reheated the chow mein and whipped up a meat/salad platter as well.  Everyone enjoyed the chow mein - it is so much nicer than the saucepan method. Why?  I have no idea but I've read where other people have said the same thing about other meals - tastier made in the TMX. 

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 05:34:34 am »
Aren't they supposed to be looking after you in your convalescence ?
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 06:18:57 am »
It wasn't planned Thermomixer, it just happened and was no trouble.  SIL did pull out a dead palm trunk and another dead bush and in it's place planted a frangipanni tree I bought ages ago and never worked out where to put.  It would have been ages before I had the strength to pull them out myself so I am a happy little chappy this afternoon.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 03:24:04 am »
Had about 1 serve of the chow mein leftover so baked some jacket potatoes in the weber cut them in half and served them with the chowmein on top for the 2 of us.  Lovely ;) ;)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 06:15:44 am »
Thank you Chookie......hubby gave it a thumbs up  :D

I sneakily blitzed all the veggies up fine, then when finished I scattered through some beans.....kids thought that was the only veggies in it then  ;)

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 06:38:07 am »
What could I use instead of Chicken Noodle Soup mix?  That's what I used to use but not too keen on it these days.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com