Author Topic: my bread!  (Read 22043 times)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
my bread!
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:35:54 am »
Im just not happy with the bread!!!
I like a nice big piece of toast and normal looking sanwhiches but Ive not been able to get a loaf out that looks like a 'normal' loaf
They are either like vienna loaves if I dont put in a loaf tin, or like a banana cake shape loaf if i do put in a loaf tin
Anyone willing to share their bread tips and pictures!!  I guess Ive been used to a breadmaker shaped type of loaf

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: my bread!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 09:26:53 am »
i think the secret is using a bread tin (which i also need to source and buy)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 10:08:37 am »
hmmmm well make sure Im the next to know where you got one from!!!!
i bought a large loaf tin but its more like a cake loaf tin...and it just doesnt cut it...need on with higher sides i think

Offline Djali

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 02:53:39 pm »
This is the bread I usually do (right now it's in the oven ;) ). I am Spanish so I have had to translate the recipe, I don't know if everything it is ok, but if there's something you don't understand, please ask me, I will try to explain it.  :-*
The recipe is from Potota, and I've taken it from here: http://www.lasrecetasthermomix.com/search?q=masa+de+pan+rapida

Ingredients (for 800 grams of dough, approx.)
300 g of  warm water
20 g of fresh pressed yeast
500 grams of strong flour 
5 g sugar
10 grams of salt
1 spoonful of soya lecithin (this makes it softer)

preparation:

Pour the water and dissolve yeast programming 5 seconds, 4 speed.
Put the flour, sugar, soya lecithin and salt inside and mix 30 seconds, speed 6.
Knead 2 minutes programming, closed lid  *:, speed  ::.
Let the dough into the cup until double in volume (30 m approx.).
Put the dough on the work table where you have put flour powder first, knead a little to remove the air and make ball. Give the desired shape: loaf  rolls, etc.. Put the bread in the oven tray lined with baking paper. Let stand until double in volume (30 m approx.) And make cuts with a knife or scissors on the top.
Preheat oven to 220 º. Bake 20 to 25 m (if small loaves) or 30 to 40 m (for large loaves).

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:16:39 am by Thermomixer »
http://djali.hazblog.com/   

This is my blog, it's in Spanish, sorry. But if you like any of the recipes I have there just tell me and I will try to translate them for you.

Offline Djali

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 05:56:23 pm »
When I want to make bread for sandwiches I use a baking tin like the one for plum-cake and it gets this shape:

This is my blog, it's in Spanish, sorry. But if you like any of the recipes I have there just tell me and I will try to translate them for you.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 07:42:41 am »
my bread never looks that aireated...it looks a lot more dense....i must be doing something wrong!

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 04:14:58 pm »
Well, I don't use the TM for my breads, but I have a great "no knead" method that results in wonderful bread...  You can find the recipe HERE with a bunch of step by step pictures and even a video at the end.

Offline Djali

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 05:33:32 pm »
The bread looks great, and thank you for the link it's very good. But the TM is really good for kneading, it's easy. I make bread quite often, I've tried different recipes, and all of them are delicious. The easiest one is the one I told you before but I will try to translate some others. I love bread  ;D

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 07:07:00 am »
What you need is a bread tin which here in Adelaide South Australia is available from bread supply shops or some specialty kitchen ware shops.  I have two sizes but the smaller one is what you need for the recipe in the book.  I also spray water into the over a couple of times during the baking time to help firm the crust. 

Hope this helps

Trudy

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 05:28:43 am »
A shallow dish of col water in the bottom of the oven is also an excellent way to give a crunchy crust.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 01:19:03 pm »
Thanks for this recipe, Djali, it's wonderful!  I made it this morning, and it's fantastic.  And that's without the soya lecithin, as I didn't have any (DH tasked with buying some from the health food shop today).  Also, I didn't have fresh yeast (haven't found anywhere I can get it!) so I was using Hand Baking Dried Active Yeast, which you activate in a similar way to fresh.  You hadn't mentioned what you brush the top with, Djali - I used milk.  Loaf and rolls turned out perfectly - yum, yum, yum.  I find the UK and Oz recipes a bit dry for my taste (possibly because I'm using Spelt flour, I can't eat wheat), but this one is perfect.

This is the bread I usually do (right now it's in the oven ;) ). I am Spanish so I have had to translate the recipe, I don't know if everything it is ok, but if there's something you don't understand, please ask me, I will try to explain it.  :-*
The recipe is from Potota, and I've taken it from here: http://www.lasrecetasthermomix.com/search?q=masa+de+pan+rapida

Ingredients (for 800 grams of dough, approx.)
300 g of  warm water
20 g of fresh pressed yeast
500 grams of strong flour 
5 g sugar
10 grams of salt
1 spoonful of soya lecithin (this makes it softer)

preparation:
Pour the water and dissolve yeast programming 5 seconds, 4 speed.
Put the flour, sugar, soya lecithin and salt inside and mix 30 seconds, speed 6.
Knead 2 minutes programming, closed lid  *:, speed  ::.
Let the dough into the cup until double in volume (30 m approx.).
Put the dough on the work table where you have put flour powder first, knead a little to remove the air and make ball. Give the desired shape: loaf  rolls, etc.. Put the bread in the oven tray lined with baking paper. Let stand until double in volume (30 m approx.) And make cuts with a knife or scissors on the top.
Preheat oven to 220 º. Bake 20 to 25 m (if small loaves) or 30 to 40 m (for large loaves).

As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Djali

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 04:42:51 pm »
I'm glad you liked it Caroline. I don't usually brush the bread but I think that your idea of brushing it with milk is great.  ;)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 08:45:14 pm »
As I mentioned in completely the wrong thread ( :P) I used buttermilk instead of water when I made this (because I had some hanging about in the fridge) to give more of a sourdough taste.  Thought I'd better post that here where it's supposed to be  ;D

Made it again today, this time with the soya lecithin.  My husband prefers it with the lecithin, I prefer it without.  Both ways are very good.  Used buttermilk again, by the way (still have lots left  ::) )
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 03:13:36 am »
my bread never looks that aireated...it looks a lot more dense....i must be doing something wrong!

Mine does too. I can't figure out why. I made the TM31 bread the other day. I think my tins are wrong. I have 2 small ones (which are really too small for quantity of bread in a batch) and a really big one (which seems to be too big). I'm not using bakers flour at the moment because someone gave me a 25kg bag of plain flour. It does rise really well, but it doesn't seem to stay up when I put it in the oven. It flattens off at the top. Even the bakers flour seemed to do that though. Next time I bake some bread, I'll take some photos. It's probably easier to see in a pic.

Cathy
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.