Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9032391 times)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #29100 on: July 24, 2016, 08:07:23 am »
Chookie, I couldn't work out why the ice cubes were necessary either as the bread was sealed in the pot at the time.
The chocolate fudge cake looks good, as does Marina's.chick peas.
My machine has been getting a bit of a work out this weekend as I have been busy baking again. I made yet another batch of the Mochi Cheese Puffs, mini chocolate eclairs with custard and petit four glacé. I couldn't believe how long it took to make and then ice the petit fours. I baked a pound cake http://thermomixbakingblogger.com/thermomix-pound-cake/ in a Lammington tin and had to add more milk to loosen the mixture. It is a lovely tasting cake, but didn't bake evenly enough for the petit four. I cut the cake into quarters and sandwiched two quarters together with homemade apricot jam and the remainder with homemade strawberry jam. I then rolled out some marzipan and covered the top of both cakes in a thin layer and then froze them. The next day I cut them into 1 inch squares, basted with warmed apricot jam and then dipped them in the icing. I made the icing by melting rolled fondant with a sugar syrup in Thermie on 37C until thick and smooth. The fun came as I tried a number of methods to coat the frozen cake squares. I started by dunking each square in the icing and then flipping them with a large pallet knife, but the marzipan kept sliding off. Then I tried just pouring the icing over the cake squares, but then the sides didn't get covered. In the end I balanced the cake on my knife and used a spoon to coat the sides of the cake and then the top, and then eased the cakes onto the wire rack. It all looked easy on YouTube! I ended up very sticky as did my kitchen.  I then tried to pipe chocolate details on the top, but I couldn't find my cellophane cake triangles to make a small piping bag,so had to use a large plastic piping bag which had a sticky-out bit of plastic which got in the way. Once I did all that I tried to put them into mini cupcake wrappers which were too small, so had to find some medium ones. By the time I got to taste one, I was totally over them. However, today they taste really nice, although the icing is no longer dry to touch and is a bit sticky.

"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29101 on: July 24, 2016, 09:52:34 am »
Fantastic cooking girls. 8)

ES what a fabulous job on the Petite Fours.A real labour of love 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29102 on: July 24, 2016, 10:28:49 am »
ES they look perfect.
I haven't made anything today.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #29103 on: July 24, 2016, 11:55:04 am »
Brilliant cooking ladies. Mab I cooked the boiled fruit cake today too only I made mini muffin size ones. Love the petit fours ES.  I started the day with buttermilk waffles. My boys had never eaten waffles (bad mothering!) and we don't own a machine (DH says no more machines!!) so after a little googling, I made them in the sandwich press (jaffle maker) and they turned out much better than I expected. Crispy on outside and fluffy inside. Boys want them next weekend now. I also made lemon curd, granuesli, lMrs masons nuts and bolts, salted caramel fudge and pizzas.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29104 on: July 24, 2016, 12:44:07 pm »
They look brilliant Kim.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29105 on: July 24, 2016, 12:47:09 pm »
Wow you girls have been busy!  Love the waffles Kim. Sue how do you have the patience to do all that work for a little petite four, it would drive me crazy.  Are you thinking of entering something like that in the Royal Show?  Great job despite all the problems you had.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

*suzanne*

« Reply #29106 on: July 24, 2016, 01:16:05 pm »
Great idea kimmy, I have a waffle maker and I've used it once
ES wow they are gorgeous , you must have the patience of a saint
I made a cob loaf too today to have with our chicken / salmon veloute it was delicious.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #29107 on: July 24, 2016, 03:01:01 pm »
ES, they are beautiful. Glad you agree about the ice blocks.
Kimmy, now that is a good suggestion. Very creative.
Judy, the shank and barley soup is beautiful. I bought a side of lamb, reduced in price. If I had bought a leg and 2 shanks , the 4/4 and loin chops cost nothing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29108 on: July 24, 2016, 03:21:49 pm »
Yes, it's the only way to buy lamb these days Chookie but a side for me would be way too much. I can't remember when I last cooked a leg of lamb.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29109 on: July 24, 2016, 05:16:37 pm »
Fantastic days cooking Kim.It all sounds wonderful and the waffles look great. :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 05:20:41 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #29110 on: July 24, 2016, 10:08:21 pm »
Kimmy and Emerald Sue both look great. :)

Yesterday I cooked sliver-side for dinner, , roast beef for tonight, . 2 lots of butter chicken, Korma chicken, Double batch of choc chip cookies for kids, and I Love Bimby choc cakes.

2 zucchini quiches for work lunches.

My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29111 on: July 25, 2016, 01:06:16 am »
Another great day's cooking Robyn.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #29112 on: July 25, 2016, 02:17:44 am »
Just going to share some of our favourite meals lately . The most moist pork I have had in a long time -Skinnymixers roast pork belly with Caramelized apples , steamed the pork in the lower part of the varoma . For vegetarians Chilli bean potatoes , DH asked for seconds and lunch the next day ! Practically devoured by DS and DD Tenia's cranberry,maple,pecan granola with lots of Yogurt . Soups are our go to food for lunch in winter , this becomes a daily exercise . Minestrone soup , DS favourite at the moment and requested this morning cauliflower and leek soup . My all time make you feel well soup is Quirky Jo's coconut lemon chicken soup .

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29113 on: July 25, 2016, 07:41:01 am »
Thanks for sharing your current favourite recipes Katie, it's interesting to know what our members enjoy the most.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #29114 on: July 25, 2016, 09:27:45 am »
Everyone has been very busy in the kitchen the past couple of days. 

ES ... where on earth do you get your patience for those totally amazing petit fours.  What a fantastic end result.

Kimmy, I'm too scared to try waffles in case I like them too much!!

Katie, I would love your recipe for Chilli bean potatoes if you wouldn't mind sharing.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.