Author Topic: Have ordered, now to get ready... questions...  (Read 10800 times)

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
Have ordered, now to get ready... questions...
« on: July 18, 2009, 12:41:05 am »
Yippee, my TMX is ordered!!!  ;D  So hopefully sometime in the next 2 weeks it will be on my bench (the downfalls of living over the Strait - waiting...)

So I want to start getting my pantry ready.  Going to start freezing ice for the sorbets, actually I could go and scrape it off the grass its that cold here LOL.

Questions

1) Can I just freeze banana in chunks as is or does something have to be 'done' to it?

2) Milling flour, I would really like to do this.  How fine can you get the wholemeal? 

3) What should I cook first?  LOL I know this is taste dependant!  But what is a good easy thing to do first?  Custard is on the list!

4) Can i use skim milk in the custard?

5) What other tips and tricks can you give me to make this even better!

TIA
Narelle

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Have ordered, now to get ready... questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 02:32:18 am »
I am sure we have had threads about what to do to get ready - may need to make it a sticky in the Tips section (note to self..)

The bananas can be frozen whole and then thawed slightly and snapped into pieces later.

I haven't milled flour for wholemeal but you should be able to get it very fine, especially if you blitz/sieve a bit and blitz some more.

What to cook first - try something simple like pumpkin soup - in 15 minutes.  I chop the onions in the TM bowl and saute for 3 minutes then put the pumpkin, cut into chunks and blitz it and add the stock and cook for 10 minutes then blitz it on speed 9.  It is so creamy tasting.  You don't have to add cream ( but nobody's watching)  ;) ;) ;)

There are so many simple, tasty dishes - you won't be able to stop.

Check out what Tenina did here: http://cravepublishing.com/steamovencooking/2008/05/thermomix-revolution/ - make sure you clear your freezer to be able to store your produce, ....... or invite us over  ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 02:37:54 am »
I just freeze slices of banana as is - they will go black if they are in the freezer too long (I mean many months).
I only use skim milk for everything but don't make yoghurt which I believe should be with full cream milk.
Mashed potatoes is a good one to start with - I did it as is in the Everyday cookbook but soon tired of the cheesy, fluffy texture and now leave the cheese out altogether and cook it with half milk and half water.  Try it both ways though, we are all different.
The rice pudding is great too.
You must make the vegetable stock concentrate fairly early on as you will be needing that in many recipes.
Bolognaise sauce, mushroom sauce, pizza sauce - all freeze well.
Scones are wonderful - could never make a decent one prior to my TMX arriving, now I know they are going to work.
Dips are so easy and healthy.
Bechamel sauce - just throw everything in - no lumps, no stirring, wonderful with some cheese added for pouring over vegies or adding tuna and corn for a mornay.
Many, many more but these were my first attempts that worked - had quite a few other things that didn't!!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 12:07:41 pm »
Frozen nanas are a staple here.. if we're out of them 14yo DS has a melt down. *roll eyes*  I buy "smoothie" or seconds bananas cheaply at our organic store and either freeze or dry them (in the dehydrator) depending on the amount.

Haven't tried milling the wheat yet... on the list though! :)

I second the stock concentrate... it was very interesting.. I was stunned at the lack of added liquid but can't wait to use it in recipes now.

Skim milk should be just fine for the custard.  My demonstrator did it with what I had here and I don't buy full cream. ;)

My biggest suggestion/tip is to jump right in and not be afraid to "have a go"!  I sat and looked at mine for a few hours before using it.. DS1 just walked up and threw ingredients in and did it...  :P
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 12:40:32 pm »
I mill wheat or rye grain all the time, its fine after about 1minute of milling on speed 9 for 100g, just like wholemeal flour

Risotto is always a good one to start off with, but make sure you get proper Italian Arborio rice, not sunrasia from Coles, it just doesnt work the same!

i think its a bit too cold to be making sorbet, it doesnt last well more than a week i think it goes too icy, and unless your kids like eating sorbet in the winter which mine dont then it seems to be a bit of a waste

soups are easy easy easy

get hold of some quinoa, I always put that into my vege soups too

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 12:56:22 pm »
I mill wheat or rye grain all the time, its fine after about 1minute of milling on speed 9 for 100g, just like wholemeal flour

What do you cook with your milled flour Baf - bread, cakes??  I find that I can't get it fine enough (without putting it through a fine sieve afterwards) to do anything much with it.  If I keep milling trying to get it finer I just end up bringing on the temperature and losing the nutrients of the grain.

Chelsea  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 02:10:01 pm »
Think the secret to milling, like mincing meat, is small amounts at a time.

I did chick pea flour from dried chickpeas tonight and started with too much, when I took out half and restarted it worked like a breeze and fine enough for almost any application.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 02:22:34 pm »
chelsea, i mill the wheat mailnly for bread, but ive also used it to make muffins with, like the ones in the kids snack book ( i think i sent you that?)
it seems to be okay to me, i only mill probably 100g of grain at a time tho

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 04:14:34 pm »
I only use skim milk for everything but don't make yoghurt which I believe should be with full cream milk.

I had success with hilo milk for my yoghurt, wasn't going to post it until I tried it again tomorrow and had two successes  :P :P but thought I would just drop that info in lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 01:38:05 am »
That's good news Kathryn - I really don't like having to buy full cream milk for recipes. Once summer returns, I must give making yoghurt another try - my first lot was like drinking yoghurt so I never did it again.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 01:31:24 pm »
chelsea, i mill the wheat mailnly for bread, but ive also used it to make muffins with, like the ones in the kids snack book ( i think i sent you that?)
it seems to be okay to me, i only mill probably 100g of grain at a time tho

Thanks for that - perhaps i am trying to mill too much at the one time.  I made pancakes this morning and milled buckwheat and brown rice succesfully for those so I will have to keep playing around with it.  You did share the yummy muffin recipe with me - I will give the muffins a go with my own milled flour.

Chelsea  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 10:26:27 am »
Faffa 70, well done. I only like using hi-low for anything. What is your secret with the yoghurt?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 06:03:31 pm »
Hi Cookie, if you go to the yoghurt thread, I have posted my recipe and method there...(I think it was there, if not let me know and I WILL post it there!  ;))

It is exactly the same only with Hi Lo milk. Going to try another one tomorrow and if that works going to try and move on from there  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 06:47:20 am »
Thanks Kathryn. I don't seem to get the time to check all the threads lately, so I just do a hit and miss thing.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 04:31:19 pm »
Thanks Kathryn. I don't seem to get the time to check all the threads lately, so I just do a hit and miss thing.

I know what you mean, we have grown so much it is wonderful, BUT if you miss a day (or two or in my case three this week) OMG it is almost daunting trying to catch up  ;D ;D ;D