Author Topic: Patty Cake Tin  (Read 5946 times)

stacelee

Patty Cake Tin
« on: July 10, 2009, 06:10:14 am »
Hi Guys,

I have a question that someone may be able to help me with.  A few years ago I was given some cake tins that included a couple of gem scone irons, madeleine trays but there is also one that I was told was a patty cake tin.  It has twelve indentations which are round bottomed.  My dumb question is how do I use it! I frequently make cup cakes in "normal" cupcake trays but have no idea what I am supposed to do with this tray.  Do you put the cake batter straight into it?

Thanks
Stacey

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Patty Cake Tin
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 06:21:24 am »
Hi Stacey, that tray sounds exactly the one I use to make mini quiches in for parties. That is the only thing I use it for. I made 5 doz the other day and froze for grandson's 1st birthday party this Sunday.  Made my own pastry, cooked up some bacon bits and onion, placed a teaspoonful into the pastry (unbaked) shell, topped with cheese and chopped parsley then a soup spoonful of a beaten egg and milk mixture.  Did everything in the TMX so if you want the recipe I can post it for you tomorrow as I'm just about to head off for the rest of the day right now. Are your trays the non-stick ones? They are better but I made these for years in the ordinary ones previously.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 02:33:29 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

stacelee

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 06:42:29 am »
Sounds wonderful.....I'm just getting started with Tom.  The more recipes that I have the better.....particularly as I have to bribe our storeperson with tidbits as I just pilfered a heatproof spoon spatula and a dishbrush out of stock....was eyeing off some of the bread tins and then remembered that I have no more room in my cupboard for tins :).  The joy of selling catering equipment is that my kitchen is overflowing with things that seemed like a good idea at the time!

Have a great afternoon
Stacey

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 06:53:51 am »
Hi Stacey,

These tins also make good "cheesecake"tins.  These are not the cheesecake - cream cheese or dessert like.  I have no idea where the name comes from but Mum always made them - were my Dad's fav.   
Line each tin thinly with pastry.  Place about a half to one teaspoon of jam on top.  Then top with a cake mixture and bake till golden.  When they have cooled ice with either lemon or a pretty pink icing and sprinkle with coconut.

Another thing I somtimes do is make up a plain cake batter.  Add some currants and some lemon essence.  Bake till golden.  This is like a smaller version of a currant cake that is sold here in South Australia.

Cheers
Trudy

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 07:16:33 am »

Do you put the cake batter straight into it?

Yes, but grease well.  I use them for jelly cakes/fairy cakes - after dipped in jelly and cocnut, cut the tops off, cut in half, place cream on the bottom and then position the wings.

My mum used them for making mince pies for Xmas.

Lots of uses.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 08:31:29 am »
I inherited mine from my Mum and use them for everything. I love the round base.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 03:04:44 pm »
Tiny quiches Makes 5 dozen
2 qtys shortcrust pastry - everyday cookbook
1 medium onion, cut into 4
230g lean bacon, chopped roughly into large pieces
20g oil
3 eggs
1-1/2 cups milk (360gms)
10g parsley leaves
180g tasty cheese, roughly chopped
S & P to taste

Grate cheese 5 seconds on speed 8. Remove from bowl. 
Chop onion and bacon 3 seconds speed 5.  Add oil and saute 4 mins on 100o on reverse, speed 1.
Remove from bowl and set aside to cool.
Without cleaning the bowl, add the parsley and chop 3 seconds on speed 6.  Put butterfly into place and add the eggs, milk, salt and pepper and whip 20 seconds on speed 4.
To assemble the quiches - roll out rested pastry and cut out rounds with a 7 cm cutter.  1 batch of pastry will make approx 2-1/2 dozen tiny quiches. No need to oil non-stick pans but would do so if not non-stick.  Press the pastry into each one, place a scant teaspoon of the bacon/onion mixture into it followed by some cheese. Top each one with a dessertspoon of the egg/milk/parsley mixture.  There should be enough mixture left over for another 2-1/2 dozen quiches with the second batch of pastry or you can make 1 large one instead.  Don't overfill the pastry cases with the egg/milk mixture. Cook 200o for 6 minutes.  Reduce heat to 180o and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes.  If they are to be frozen and reheated later, don't allow the pastry to get too brown.   If you want to make large quiches, bake them at 200o for 15 minutes, turn heat down to 180o and bake a further 20 minutes or until mixture is set and edges are browned. Kids love the little ones though and they freeze really well.
For vegetarians I saute the onion, place that in the bases then add a small amount of chopped tomatoes before the cheese and egg mixture.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 11:32:54 am »
my mum used to use them to make butterfly cakes - you know the ones with the bit cut off the top, filled with craem and the top halved and pt up like butterlfy wings?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog