Author Topic: Front loader vs top loader  (Read 13024 times)

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
Front loader vs top loader
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:16:20 am »
Im after a new washing machine but not sure what to get. I currently have a twin tub and do 3 loads of washing per day. (In summer i usually wash every 3 or 4 days as i can get the clothes dry quicker) I like the look of the front loaders but dont know how well they will wash the clothes using less water etc - my kids love mud and usually have 2/3 sets of clothes per day! Also dont want to have to wait for hours for a load to be done.
I am familiar with top loaders and have used my mums a lot but not sure whether they have more postitive/negaitves over a front loader.
Please let me know what you would/wouldnt recommed!
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Front loader vs top loader
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:07:57 am »
Riv_Mum, I have a front loader and really love it. It seems to wash really clean. The only downside to it is that it will take over an hour to do an ordinary wash, even using cold water.  Once you get used to that I find it very good.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 08:18:22 am »
I have a front loader now, after years of a top loader.
The front loader washes perfectly clean and uses far less water and soap, making them gentler on the environment.  They are also much, much gentler on your clothes, making them last longer.
While the tubs may look small they will take a very large load - at least as much as a top loader and will take more and wash it much better than a twin tub!  (I had one of those once, too).
They do take longer to do a load, but as the loads would be larger than your twin tub, the extra time shouldn't be an issue.
The biggest problem that I have is when I drop a sock or something on my way to the machine.  Once it is started you cannot stop it to pop something else in.
A minor hassle compared to the benefits.

Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:08:35 am »
I have a top loader but am definitely getting a front loader next time - water saving benefits sound huge and I have used my DD;s and can pile heaps into it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Karen3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 10:34:34 am »
Hello,
I went from a massive top loader that used 200 litres per wash to a front loader that uses 57 litres/wash.  It washes fine and I haven't noticed any problems.  We were pleasantly surprised to see a significant decrease in our water bill.
Happy washing machine hunting,
Karen

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:28:00 am »
we have a front loader and i love it, the long wash doesn't bother me as we generally only hang washing out once or twice a day anyway and have no preferences as to when LOL (my mum lives in disbelief ;))

why not get one with a timer so it can be ready in the morning when you need it?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:42:55 am »
I have a front loader and I LOVE IT! Highly recommend one. With my 5 kids I only need to do one load a day and then the loads of linen etc as there is a load (eg the day I change beds etc) you will be surprised how much you can fit into one. I think they wash cleaner than a top loader AND YOU CAN USE THE TMX WASHING GOO in them  ;D ;D ;D ;D get one, get one get one lol

oinly con's are that you can't put something in once it has started (just wash it tomorrow lol) and yet they take longer to wash. In saying that with my top loader I was doing 2 loads a day and that took longer than the one in the front loader.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 11:59:47 am »
i can add stuff to mine after it's started  ;D
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 01:29:04 pm »
Thanks guys. The water use doesnt bother me much cos our monthly water bill is around $3. I have to wash in dirty river water which is brown before you start, if i use less what is it going to look like at the end!!!
What are your spin cycles like? RPM? I have heard that the clothes come out quite damp and so take longer to dry. Im definatly going to have to get one that can be opened part way through as i am always adding things!
Which brand do you recommend?
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 02:16:12 pm »
I have a front loader too. Actually it is my second one. The first one was by Sears and broke way too soon, so I do not recommend that! The one I have now is by Bosch. You can add things after it starts, but you have to push certain buttons to unlock the door before doing so (to keep water from gushing out).

Mine has several spin controls from no spin to max. If you use a gentle spin, the clothes are pretty wet. But max spin-- I think they are actually drier than my top loader machines were. The water saving is good, too, but I think that the machine just cleans better and does not get off balance like a top loader. Personally, I would never go back.

If you have a cat or small child, maybe they would enjoy watching the clothes go round and round, too.  :D
Aunt Annie

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 03:17:33 pm »
i can add stuff to mine after it's started  ;D

OK...what is the brand and model?? It's not very often that I want to but would be a little handy ;) Mind is only 2 years old so will be a while before I can replace it  ;D

Mine has spin from 0 to 1000 RPM and believe me at 1000RPM you would almost think the clothes have been hanging on the line for an hour or so.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 03:24:15 pm »
Mine is a top loader, I love it! It does a 1200 rpm spin (adjustable obviously) and capacity is 5.5kilos.
It has various lengths of programs ranging from 30 mins to a daily wash of 1 hour and up to 2 and half hours. I personally prefer top loaders, as you can add something you forgot easily, and washes really well! Its a Whirlpool, I am very happy with mine! Has a timer too, to program it to finish up to 24h later!
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 11:06:13 pm »
actaully i wouldn't recommend mine LOL it's an ASKO. we'd also had an LG and sold it on before the warranty had even finished. both of them had multiple service calls (as has our ASKO dishwasher). if i could have afforded it i would have gone for the Bosch too. the BIG one!
My Cooking Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 11:25:29 pm »
oh and ours has 400-1400 rpm.

anyone else having trouble with the forum keep crashing this mroning?
My Cooking Blog

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 12:21:10 am »
I agree with everyone's comments. I've been very happy with my front loader. I wash one day a week and do about 3-4 loads. That's for a family of six. I'm amazed at how much I can cram into it and it washes great, clothes last longer. Mine spins at about 800rpm. It does take longer, but I'm used to it. If I'm organised, I'll put a load or two on the night before washing day so I can get it hung and dry by days end. I can unlock the door after its started, if I turn it off at the wall for at least 1min. Don't usually worry about it though.
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.