Author Topic: Is alcohol 'burnt' off in TM?  (Read 10742 times)

Offline bickie

• View Profile
Is alcohol 'burnt' off in TM?
« on: March 13, 2012, 03:21:22 pm »
Does anyone know if ok to serve children meals made with alcohol when prepared in thermomix. Was thinking of doing the beef with Guinness stew, but wondered if that meant I was giving the kids alcohol. I think I read somewhere on a stove top it evaporates leaving just the flavour so is ok to serve children. Assuming the same in thermomix ?  Any chemists out there????

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Is alcohol 'burnt' off in TM?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:34:28 pm »
I'm sure that heat kills the alcohol content and just leaves the flavouring. So I'm certain it's safe. But better get someone else to confirm that for sure :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:44:04 pm »
Im sure there will be some leftovers of alcohol but probably very little. I know that when you cook Boeuf Bourguignon some alcohol is still left after boiling softly for more then 1½ hour with no lid. Guiness has less alcohol then wine but most likely there will too be a bit of alcohol left. How much depends on cooking time and amount of beer your dish has.

Anyway i would consider it safe for children to eat unless they have an enormous appetite ;D

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:05:16 pm »
To reduce the alcohol content the food has to be cooked for a specific time at or above a specific temperature.  Rapid cooking, even flaming, does not lessen the percentage of alcohol appreciably.

Alcohol in soups and stews that are cooked more than 30 minutes is reduced to a point where it will have no effect. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline bickie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:26 pm »
Thank you!

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 12:01:15 am »
Thank you Andie & Bluesed. Very useful information.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 01:08:28 am »
yes it was extremely interesting
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 01:13:52 am »
This is good to know. I don't use alcohol in cooking very often, probably only a beer batter or my Christmas puddings.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 04:54:16 am »
My kids love that beef and Guinness stew.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 11:04:30 am »
Looking it up i found that after 1½ hours of soft boiling without a lid there will be 20% alcohol left. 

Offline bluesed

• View Profile

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 12:30:40 pm »
We use alcohol in a number of recipes and alot of them are staple french recipes that are often fed to children an there have never been any issues concerning alcohol content thy i have heard of... I know the flavour of the alcohol lways stys but the alcohol content doesnt but at what percentage i have mo idea.. Would be interesting to know exactly as i always assumed it evaporated at a certain heat??
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 12:55:50 pm »
The alcohol evaporates at all temperatures above freezing point(in an non closed container) but how much depends on the temperature, the surface and how much time.
I posted a link before where you can see the leftovers of alcohol after cooking.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 03:08:12 pm »
Thx blueseed... I do however think it bothers anglophone countries more than europeans in general as this topic has never been an issue in the twelve years ive lived over here.. The small amount in any given recipe  would hardly do any harm anyhow except maybe baba au rhum which no kid would touch anyway lol
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 07:34:59 pm »
Thx blueseed... I do however think it bothers anglophone countries more than europeans in general as this topic has never been an issue in the twelve years ive lived over here.. The small amount in any given recipe  would hardly do any harm anyhow except maybe baba au rhum which no kid would touch anyway lol

I have to be careful because I am allergic to alcohol (causes swelling in the larynx and other soft tissues around the nose, mouth and throat.)
I can cook with alcohol as long as the residual level is below about 5%, but any dessert finished with raw alcohol is forbidden.  I use it in baking cakes and pies as the prolonged exposure to oven heat will reduce it but I am cautious about eating any that has had a significant amount.  I taste first to see if I get that tell-tale tingle in my mouth and if so, don't eat more.
Soups and stews, because they are cooked for a prolonged time, especially when it is wine, that has a low alcohol percentage to start with, are okay.  I don't add wine at the end, as some cooks do.

I also often have guests that don't use alcohol for religious reasons, either Muslims or Mormons, and I always omit any alcohol from dishes I cook for them and I use flavorings that are also non-alcoholic - vanilla extract made with glycerin or vanilla powder.   
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/