Author Topic: Ipads in the Kitchen  (Read 4580 times)

stacelee

Ipads in the Kitchen
« on: December 20, 2011, 02:23:13 am »
I know there are a few other people who use their Ipads in the kitchen.  I thought I would let you know that I just tripped over a new Belkin Ipad dock/holder at Dick Smith that is designed for use in the kitchen.  I thought it was a brilliant design....I'm constantly propping my Ipad up on things.  Its available on their website (DSE)...I'm not sure if anyone else is carrying it yet.

Take care
Stacey

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Ipads in the Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 02:29:02 am »
I use my recipe book holder, works brilliantly :)

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 03:46:48 am »
Excuse my dumbness but are ipads expensive to connect to the internet?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 03:58:32 am »
I have three different covers for my iPad and they all fold in some way for propping up in the kitchen. Great  help.

And cookie 1 it connects to your wi fi Internet and costs nothing extra.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 04:54:03 am »
is that the one with the touch pen as well Stacelee? I saw it in a catalogue here on the weekend.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

stacelee

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 05:22:14 am »
Yup.  Its the one with the stylus and the stand.

If you don't have a wireless network at home, you can get a 3G ipad and use prepaid Sims.  It cost me $150 for 12Gb data.  The first year I had my iPad, I used 7Gb of the 12Gb......and I am constantly using it when I'm out and about...I do have wireless networks at work and home.  I haven't checked what my usage this year has been.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 06:12:05 am »
We just went out and bought a new modem for wifi, internet bill same as before. Only outlay was a new modem

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 06:46:37 am »
Thank you. We don't have wi fi at home but I do use a pre paid wi fi gadget on my netbook. I'm getting very interested in ipads.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 06:49:28 am »
Cookie there are two types of iPad

Wifi and 3G ... If you have alot of wifi in your area you just need the basic model wifi only which is a free connection but if you think you dont have alot of wifi around you then 3G is best to ensure a connection wherever you are but at a cost  ;D
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 06:52:50 am »
You could also just get the 3G and only use it when there is nô wifi...if it has the same option as the iPhone you CAN turn the 3G off and use only the wifi
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 06:58:20 am »
Yup.  Its the one with the stylus and the stand.

If you don't have a wireless network at home, you can get a 3G ipad and use prepaid Sims.  It cost me $150 for 12Gb data.  The first year I had my iPad, I used 7Gb of the 12Gb......and I am constantly using it when I'm out and about...I do have wireless networks at work and home.  I haven't checked what my usage this year has been.

Bargain . Might just get  a sim card in Jan. it would be very useful when I can't login to someone's unlocked wi fi. LOL! Was that a Telstra  data card  stacelee?

Gert
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:08:53 am by Gertbysea »

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

stacelee

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 08:26:22 am »
I've used both Vodafone and Telstra sims.  Our company mobiles are on Vodafone so I automatically bought a Vodafone sim for my iPad.  I now have a Telstra one due to coverage problems when we travelled to Tasmania last Christmas.  DH insisted that we change our iPads to Telstra so we didn't have the problems again.  Which is better probably depends on where you live.  We are in Brisbane and the three other iPads we have bought for our sales staff are all on Vodafone sims and they are working without any problems....but my husband and two teenagers are currently down in Albury.....DH is having no problems with his telstra sim using the internet, but my kids are complaining that their 3G is slow and they are also on Vodafone sims (we are the iPad family....even my mother has one).

I love having my iPad in the kitchen and have scanned all my thermomix cookbooks in as pdf's so that I don't have the originals in the kitchen getting dirty.  I use an app called Paprika which now has a add-on for pc browsers which allows you to save recipes from sites like taste.com.au.  I have just bought a macbook air (after swearing that I would never use a mac again after leaving QLD Police) and there is a Paprika program for mac.  Makes it very easy to carry my recipes around.  I also use Evernote, but more for day to day record keeping.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 09:12:59 am »
Thanks for that stacelee.  I would have to go with Telstra as the Vodaphone  coverage is hopeless in  Far North  Queensland. I love my iPad  and Kindle as much as my Thermomix.  If my laptop ever dies  a Macair is on the cards for sure. The iPad is certainly a handy thing to have in your handbag. One thing I don't have any use for is a mobile phone.  Now that is a time waster for sure. LOL!

Thanks again for the info.

Gretch