Author Topic: Queen of Puddings  (Read 47956 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Queen of Puddings
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:51:04 pm »
This is one of those old fashioned desserts.  It is easy, inexpensive in that you have most of the ingredients on hand,  and uses fresh bread crumbs.  It is also flexible in that you can make the middle layer to suit what you have on hand.   It is traditionally made with lemon butter,  but today I didn't have any so I used what I had,  which was raspberry jam and the last of the Autumn raspberries.  I have been thinking of making it for some time but was undecided as to whether to cook the custard first or  pour the uncooked custard mix over the breadcrumbs and then cook it.   Thermomixer solved the problem for me today when he posted his B&B pud,  Aussie Style.  He cooked it in the Varoma.

50g. sugar
Peel of 1/2 a lemon.
185g. milk
65g. cream
2 egg yolks
1 cup of fresh white breadcrumbs

Filling layer, e.g. lemon butter, jam, cooked rhubarb,  fruit-cooked or fresh.

2 egg whites
30g caster sugar

Zap lemon peel with sugar on TMX bowl
Add milk,cream, egg yolks, mix 15 sec. on speed 3.
Select a heat proof baking dish that will fit into the Varoma,  and will accommadate the breadcrumbs and the mix in the bowl.   ( about 350g )
Place the bread crumbs into the dish and pour over the contents in the TMX bowl.
Cover the baking dish with glad wrap,  and place in Varoma,  I put an egg ring under the baking dish so that  plenty of steam would circulate around the dish.
Place 750g of warm water in the bowl, Varoma temp. for 20 mins. speed 3
Place Varoma on TMX and steam
After 20 mins. check that custard is set, ( it will set up after you remove it from Varoma)
Remove glad wrap,  let stand for 5 to 10 mins. During this time you could beat the egg whites until stiff adding the caster sugar gradually.
When the custard has set up a little on standing,  spread a thin layer of filling over the custard.
Spread the egg whites over the filling, covering right up to the edge of the baking dish.
Place in a preheated oven 200,  to set the egg white and lightly brown the top.

This makes 4 generous serves.

The custard could be flavored with spices instead of the lemon zest.

Members' comments
JD - How easy is this one Chookie.  It is delicious.  I used about 1/2 cup pureed stewed apricots I've had in the freezer for ages as the filling.  I think it was even better cold than hot - I loved it. DH thought it was a bit sweet so I will cut the sugar slightly next time.

MJ - The Queen Pudding that I make uses cake crumbs. I use barely any sugar in the custard.

JD - Between this recipe and MJ's comment about using cake crumbs I have today made a version I will call Black Forest Queen of Puddings.

25g sugar
10g cocoa
185g milk
65g cream
2 egg yolks

1 cup (100g) ILB's Bimby Chocolate Cake - crumbled

Cook as per Chookies recipe above and whilst cooking, prepare the filling.

1 x 400g can stoned cherries
3 level teaspoons cornflour
Place the juice from the can of cherries into a small saucepan, add some of it to the cornflour and mix that all in.  Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Add the halved cherries and allow to cool whilst the pudding is steaming. You will only need half this quantity so freeze the remainder for another time. No need to add any sugar, the surrounding mixtures are sweet enough.

Top with the meringue - 2 egg whites & 30g castor sugar and bake in a 200o oven for around 5 minutes until golden.

Chookie - Made this last night for visitors.  Used raspberry jam and frozen mixed berries under topping.  Visitor said it was her favorite pud as a child as her grandmother used to make it .  I was a bit worried as I had fiddled with the recipe and used fruit and jam,  (the original has lemon butter in the layer).  I asked her if it was up to standard,  she said it was even better.  She said that in Tasmania where they lived 50 years ago they couldn't get lemons so used any jam that they had made.  So use whatever you have for the layer.

CP - Its no secret I love Lemon Delicious, and DD23 made this last night and I think I have found another favourite dessert. Mmn, she used lemon curd to spread between the layers and then sprinkled some frozen raspberries and blackberries over the top.  love, love, love.

JD -  I used lemon curd I had previously made, had plenty of breadcrumbs in the freezer and although I had no cream, I just increased the amount of milk and it worked just fine.  Normally I would go to the shop if I am missing an ingredient but it is not always necessary to stick to a recipe completely.  A beautiful dessert Chookie, I love it at room temperature or cold.  Simple but nice enough to serve to visitors.

Cecilia - I have so much to learn, Chookie, but I thank you for this recipe.  I have been trying lots of different recipes in the Varoma today and I saved this one for last.  DH and DS have kindly devoured big helpings, but I confess I'm disappointed with my meringue this first try.  Never mind - something to strive to improve, next time around.  Cheerio and thank you for the recipe.

Cuddle cook - Recipe worked perfectly (I used store bought raspberry jam, whipped the egg whites in the cake mixer). Dh said it reminded him of his boarding school days but thankfully tastier.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:49:10 pm by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Queen of Puddings
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:38:45 pm »
You are right Chookie, I will love this - thank you so much  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 04:46:03 am »
How easy is this one Chookie  ;) ;)  Have a lamb roast and vegies on out in the weber at the moment for lunch so made this for our dessert.  Couldn't wait until after the main to try it - it is delicious.  I used about 1/2 cup pureed stewed apricots I've had in the freezer for ages as the filling.  I'd say it probably is just as nice cold as hot - is it? Thanks again Chookie  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:44:19 am »
Thanks Chookie.  Glad I could help you get this into print.

Always looking for things to do with breadcrumbs and spare bread.

Sorry Chookie - I can't place it on your post:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:58:42 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 06:28:34 am »
This brings back memories.  I just have to  make it. Thanks. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 01:36:40 pm »
I think it was even better cold than hot - I loved it. DH thought it was a bit sweet so I will cut the sugar slightly next time.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:43:46 pm »
How easy is this one Chookie  ;) ;)  Have a lamb roast and vegies on out in the weber at the moment for lunch so made this for our dessert.  Couldn't wait until after the main to try it - it is delicious.  I used about 1/2 cup pureed stewed apricots I've had in the freezer for ages as the filling.  I'd say it probably is just as nice cold as hot - is it? Thanks again Chookie  :-* :-* :-*

:o :o :o And you didn't invite me for lunch JD???  :-))  ;) :D :D :D

Sounds yummy. Might have to try the rhubarb version next time my friend visits.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 03:29:45 pm »
Oh yes ILB, that would be great, the rhubarb would cut the sweetness of the custard and meringue - perfect. 

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:52:56 am »
Thought I might try it with a spice in the custard,  may be Star  Anise.  A thin layer of Quince,  and the topping as usual.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:01:31 am »
Sounds like a good idea indeed Chooike - think the start anise would go well with the quince - might be something to do with those spare quinces
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:15:15 am »
I love quinces. I must see if I can find some.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:27:39 am »
Sounds yummy. I'm a sucker for deserts. I think I could convert it to failsafe by replacing the lemon rind with citric acid and using pear jam for the filling. Now if I only I was at home and could access my Bimby. Oh well, guess it's a Salada & cream cheese snack again :(

Russell.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 11:32:30 am »
Sounds yummy. I'm a sucker for deserts. I think I could convert it to failsafe by replacing the lemon rind with citric acid and using pear jam for the filling. Now if I only I was at home and could access my Bimby. Oh well, guess it's a Salada & cream cheese snack again :(

Russell.
Does citric acid give you the lemon flavour?  How far can you go with that idea (DH is allergic to lemon and so I miss out too.)
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 11:38:48 am »

Russell.
Does citric acid give you the lemon flavour?  How far can you go with that idea (DH is allergic to lemon and so I miss out too.)

Yes it does. Citric acid, su8gar, water = fake lemonade. Citric acid, sugar, jamsetta = fake lemon jam etc etc.

Russell.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 12:11:10 pm »
Last year I attended a cooking class at The Agrarian Kitchen in Tassie, where we cooked Quinces with Star Anise in the wood fired oven.We then made Ice Cream,  with  Star Anise flavor.  I have just borrowed the idea.