Author Topic: Crio Bru Chilli Beef  (Read 10852 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Crio Bru Chilli Beef
« on: April 03, 2012, 04:24:50 am »
I watched Tenina demonstrate this at the Cooking Class that I went to and it was delicious!

I made it for our visitors, but didn't cook it in  the TM as I was making other things and didn't want it tied up for an hour. I made the base in the TM and then transferred it to a casserole dish.
There was a lot of liquid, which I drained off and boiled off in a saucepan. I think I'd reduce the liquid next time, probably would leave out the beer.

My guests thoroughly enjoyed it. The Crio added a wonderful colour and flavour. I'll definitely make this again and will do so in the TM earlier in the day.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Crio Bru Chilli Beef
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:40:12 am »
I thought from the sample we had that the flavours were nice, but the meat was a little tough. I may even cook it in my PC
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:29 am »
I wouldn't use gravy beef in this one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:01 am »
what would you suggest JD - chuck or blade, or something else?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:51:53 am »
I'm a blade steak person CP but Tenina did say she used gravy beef at the class I went to.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 06:38:04 am »
I used stewing steak. It was beautiful meat, though and looked almost like baby beef.
The one Tenina made in Albany wasn't tough at all.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 12:29:02 pm »
I did half quantity today, swapped the beer with red wine because it wasn't worth opening a bottle of beer for just 50g.  Used blade steak which started out weighing 568g but ended up at 390g after I cut off all the fat  :-)) Would make sure I had the full quantity of 500g next time. Cooked for 60 minutes then did 5 minutes on 100o and thickened it with 3 tspns of a cornflour slurry during the last 1 minute. There was still enough for 3 people though.  It was very flavoursome and we both enjoyed it. Would probably be too spicy for kids though.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 04:02:13 am »
I want to make this one this week but don't have crio bru. I read somewhere that it could be substituted but can't remember what with. I need to have 170g brewed crio bru liquid and 2 tbsp crio bru granules. Any suggestions?

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 06:50:43 am »
I want to make this one this week but don't have crio bru. I read somewhere that it could be substituted but can't remember what with. I need to have 170g brewed crio bru liquid and 2 tbsp crio bru granules. Any suggestions?

I used, from memory, 2 tbsp of pure raw chocolate powder. Organic  CACAO  Power brand crom the health food shop.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 08:13:33 am »
Thanks Gert. I knew someone would be able to help.

Offline Stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 10:28:50 am »
I made this the other night with Crio bru.  It was great.  I left out the beer because my son is a coeliac and added 1 tbs of treacle for the malty taste.  I only used 1 chilli because we are sooks but would use 2 next time.  I used shin beef and found I needed to cook it at varoma temp for 20 mins after the initial cooking time.  This tenderised the meat perfectly and reduced the sauce. The family loved it. Thanks for another great family meal Tenina ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 02:33:23 am »
Just put this in TM, there was 400g rump steak left over that dh didnt use yesterday

Made 1/2 the version.

Everyone talking about this, so interested to see how it turns out :)

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 04:03:32 am »
The more expensive your cut of meat, the less time required in cooking. If you use a gravy beef you could stand to cook this recipe for even longer!!! Not all gravy beef is born equal either...you need sinew and fat to give flavour but this means longer cooking times....

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 04:14:37 am »
This has finished & I must say I was rather surprised at HOW GOOD IT WAS. I am glad I used rump & wouldnt use anything below rump. Half is enough for dh & I, but would make full amount to freeze 1/2 or give to friends.

Next time I would add another chilli, I dont think my garden ones are very hot.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 11:00:58 am »
Oh, Tenina - thank you.  This was beautiful.  It worked very well with round steak.  For slow learners like me, maybe in the next edition you could say to brew the Crio Bru near the start of the method.  I know it was in the ingredients but some of us don't concentrate.  No problem - I just added extra beer and another tbp of granules and it was all good.  Next time, I might thicken up the gravy as JD suggested. 
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution