Author Topic: Dairy Free Butter  (Read 9035 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Dairy Free Butter
« on: October 15, 2009, 10:28:25 am »
I just did a quick search and couldn't see this but if something like this is already up - just let me know. I don't usually keep an eye out for this sorta stuff cause we are not dairy intolerant household (we have a cow for goodness sake!) I have not made this but got it off a friend as it looked interesting and I thought of you guys straight away! ;)
Ingredients
200mls EVOO
200mls soya milk
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
1 tsp tumeric
1 block of copha
Method
Melt copha - put aside to cool a little
Blend all other ingredients together adding melted copha and continue blending til smooth.
If anyone makes this could you please add in details for newer users such as temp and speed, time etc??
I'd be interested to hear how it works out.  ;)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Dairy Free Butter
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 01:47:15 pm »
(we have a cow for goodness sake!)

ROFL

Is copha a goodie or a baddie?? I don't know but would like to if anyone has the info.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 03:20:52 pm »
Copied From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Copha, a registered trademark of Peerless, is a form of vegetable fat shortening made from hydrogenated coconut oil. It is 100% fat, at least 98% of which is saturated. It also contains Soya Bean Lecithin. It is popular in Australia where it is used in many foods for children, such as chocolate crackles, made from Rice Bubbles, copha, and cocoa powder.

Copha is only produced in Australia, but there are many suppliers of hydrogenated coconut fat in various forms worldwide. It is a necessary ingredient in traditional Australian treats such as Chocolate Crackles and White Christmas, and a "chocolate coating" on baked goods that amounts to a rather waxy form of compound chocolate. A dramatic decline in the price of chocolate over the decades is likely to be a significant contribution to the declining popularity of copha-based confectionery[citation needed].

In New Zealand, it is marketed as Kremelta. In the United States and Europe it is not easily available. Known in Europe as coconut fat, it is available either in its pure form, or in solid form with Lecithin added as an emulsifier.

Copha is further an EU registered trademark for the Danish watch company Copha. Copha produce watches for the urbane lifestyle and is based in Copenhagen. The Copha name is an abbreviation of Copenhagen. 8

Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 12:32:15 am »
Yes I had the same thought when I first saw it faffa. I was wondering if it was the same as palm oil which is a baddie I think.  :-\

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:34:52 am »
i had the feeling copha is a baddy too. i think people are using some coconut based product instead now
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 04:17:32 am »
Thanks nay-nay - not sure about Copha being good or bad?  I haven't died from eating it, just gone a little crazy  :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 05:09:27 pm »
I know, gosh I ate it for most of my childhood, probably weekly!!! Still alive and kicking lol but then again, I ate a lot of stuff that I wouldn't feed to my kids now  ???
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 07:17:51 pm »
Is this copha orang looking?  I would love to have a cow  :) ( since it is illegal to buy raw milk  :-)) ) and I like certified organic Virgin oil de Coco Crème™ from Qualit first instead butter. Yummy with honey and cinamon and a good skin care as well.
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline MollyGrubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 04:31:37 am »
i had the feeling copha is a baddy too. i think people are using some coconut based product instead now

Copha is solidified Coconut Oil but it's hydrogenated (ie. bad fat).  In a lot of recipes you can use regular coconut oil (which solidifies in the fridge) not sure what kind of difference this would make to the recipe, if any, though.
Molly
Mum to 2
Wife to DH
----------------------------------------------
Every artist was first an amateur - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 05:38:54 am »
Is this copha orang looking?  I would love to have a cow  :) ( since it is illegal to buy raw milk  :-)) ) and I like certified organic Virgin oil de Coco Crème™ from Qualit first instead butter. Yummy with honey and cinamon and a good skin care as well.
Copha is just plain white when it's solid. That's probably why the tumeric is in it to give it a yellow colour.