Author Topic: This morning I had a great idea LOL :)  (Read 9281 times)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
This morning I had a great idea LOL :)
« on: November 23, 2009, 02:02:11 am »
Wouldn't it be great if the EDC had a couple of pages at the end of each section (so two blank ones equating to 4 actual pages) with half tone pictures (I can't remember the technical word for it) on it so they are not totally blank so that people can add their favourite recipes to the edc? The reason I thought that is I am going through my EDC writing notes on it and testing the recipes so I can be more knowledgeable when I am asked about the recipes at demos and I am adding mine to the ends of pages where there is a bit of space. It would save having them all over the place. The other option would be to have blanks at the end of the book  ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: This morning I had a great idea LOL :)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 02:11:16 am »
Good idea Meagan, the pages do get awfully messy don't they  :-)) :-)) On the back blank cover I write down the recipes I do and the page it is on as I find it takes too much time searching through the index for them next time. That page is now full so don't know where to go with future jottings - add another piece of paper I guess.  One day I may just copy all my basic and favourite recipes from the EDC and start another ( :D :D :D) folder with an index in each section.   
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 02:32:07 am »
I have a lot of loose-leaf cookbooks.  The rings in the binder are too small to add many pages so eventually I will transfer them to a larger ring binder.
In the meantime - a very handy way of adding pages and/or editing same, is to insert some of the plastic photo or page protectors (an office supply store is a cook's best friend).
You can keep recipes in it, move the current one to the front or back - take the protector out of the binder, clip it or hang it where it is easy to read and if it gets messy, wipe it clean.

I have already "marked" the sections in my book with Post-It note markers - also the pages with recipes I want to try.
Every cookbook I own (I have hundreds because I also collect them) is loaded with these handy little stickers, often with notes or markers (red, green, etc., I have a code!) to make it easy to find pages that contain things I want to see again. 
I buy Post-It notes (the little ones) by the box. ;D   
Page protectors are sold in various amounts - I buy the 200 pack offered on Amazon. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 02:48:08 am »
Good thinking - send that idea to Tenina.

The old Italian Bimby cookbook came with a looseleaf version.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 02:51:07 am »
Have put the post it notes on my shopping list - beats scribbling all over the pages with every single hint I read.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 04:20:24 am »
I've used post its on my EDC too. I was spending so much time looking for the recipes it was driving me mad.  I also have an enormous file that is bursting at the seams with recipes from the forum. I'm thinking of typing up the recipe after I make it and photographing it and starting a new file with the recipes we like. Time is a big factor. Since I retired someone reduced the hours in a day to about 18.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 04:32:15 am »
I keep all recipes from the forum in categories with separate sleeves then, once I have tried them and liked them, they are transferred to my main huge ring binder into the relevant section.  I have made my own side tabs for all the categories.  This one is quite full but the ones still to try - well there must be hundreds in there and growing by the day.  I have a Victorian chaise lounge in my bedroom and it is always covered with recipe files as this is also my computer room too. I practically live in here unless I am in the kitchen.  What an addiction I have - I know I am not alone on this one though so that is of some comfort to me.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 05:21:35 am »
I use the post it notes for temporary notes, and then write in biro when its really proven to be tried and true. My forum recipes are in a display file that is bursting at the seams. I have divided the various sections up with some plastic dividers (from Officeworks) that you can clip into the top part of the binder. When I try a recipe that I like, it gets a tick. As I don't think that I could possibly add anymore pages, I am going to have be selective about those recipes that stay or go in the file. :-))

I snipped off some annoying bits of ribbon (you know the ones they sew into your clothes I suppose for hanging them up or something??) and tied a little knot loosely onto the top binder ring of the EDC for a moveable book marker.  :)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 05:25:29 am »
I snipped off some annoying bits of ribbon (you know the ones they sew into your clothes I suppose for hanging them up or something??) and tied a little knot loosely onto the top binder ring of the EDC for a moveable book marker.  :)

Great idea CP63
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 06:39:31 am »
I used to type up all the recipes that I would make again and print them off and put into a big folder in the different categories.  I used to also print off any recipes I'd find on-line that appealed and put into a "to Try" folder.  All in all I was going through so much printer ink and paper it wasn't funny.  So I bought myself a net book.  It's a smaller version of a laptop but still has a 10 inch screen and it is fantastic.  Primarily bought for recipes, but I've found I'm using it all the time now as it's wireless so connects to the internet wherever I am in the house. I very rarely use my pc anymore.

I have all the recipes that are tried and true with photos that I've taken added to the pages, all filed in relevant categories including a separate section for the TM.  Any recipes I see on-line now gets copied and pasted into a "to try" folder on my computer and when I make them they either get added to my growing list or just get deleted if we didn't like it.

It means that I put my netbook on the little bench/shelf that sits above the normal kitchen bench which is almost at eye level, opened to the recipe I am cooking and just follow that. Any changes along the way I quickly alter as I go (have got a silicone keypad cover over the keys to stop messing them up with floury hands etc, which can be washed clean)  Any changes are noted, so next time I make the recipe it is all up to date.

I know not everyone can do this, but if you can I highly recommend it.  It has made my cooking life easier, everything is so organised that I can find any recipe instantly and I no longer have to buy much ink or paper for the printer.  If anyone asks me to email them a recipe or produce on-line, it's all ready to go. 

I've been keeping all recipes on computer for a couple of years now.  I started primarily to be able to have a book printed to give to my daughter when she leaves home, containing all our favourite recipes, but as my file got bigger and I bought the netbook, my daughter said she would prefer to have it in disc form so she can load onto her pc and access whenever she wants and hopefully to be able to add to it with her own favourite recipes.   

How wonderful it would be if she has a daughter of her own in years to come and she could access these too and carry on the tradition.  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 07:58:25 am »
You are so organised JulieO.  Great cook too ;) ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 08:46:58 am »
I should be more like you JulieO, but tend to be too disorganised.  Will need to get my laptop neerer to the kitchen during cooking to make quick adjustments.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 09:04:38 am »
Beautifully organised Julie. That is my ultimate aim. Like you the reason I started was to give DD all the recipes from Mum that she wanted. I still have a while as she reckons she won't be moving out for a couple of years. She wants to save up a bit after buying the block. As she doesn't have a partner she's doing it all by herself.
I would love to have my Mum's old recipe file. Sadly it somehow disappeared when we were shifting her out of her house. Obviously someones need was greater than mine. It was all in her handwriting too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 09:45:38 am »
Great ideas!

That reminds me that ages ago perhaps JulieO  ??? was saying she would put together family favourites cookbook for the kids?? A lady at work is putting together a photo book for her Grandmother using www.snapfish.com.au. Apparently the books are really top quality. So for those wanting to pass down a family heirloom of recipes perhaps that's an idea?? Great pressie!  Apparently they had 40% off up until a few days ago, so I guess if you're wanting it for Christmas presents (next year) get organised early.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 01:54:47 pm »
Oh cookie, that's so sad...

JulieO, that's a wonderful way of organising recipes. I only have a laptop, no PC anymore. I do have all my recipes on here, but also print them off and file them in plastic display folders. One for Bread, Pastries etc, another for Cakes, Biscuits and Slices, Mains, Veges and Sides and another for Nibblies. I just realised I don't have a Desserts one! That's probably because I'm not a desserts fan.... Hardly ever make them or eat them.

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand