Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4477943 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #10680 on: November 29, 2013, 10:58:41 am »
It' say hard one stacelee. I moved all my books up to Cairns from Sydney. Well most of them but unless you have the air con on all year round they get  mouldy and smell very quickly. The kindle was the way to go for me? Jamie's 15 minute meals was the first book I have bought since For food's sake. I have ordered the new one as well but I will see the departure of a couple of older cookbooks as that is the rule here.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

stacelee

« Reply #10681 on: November 29, 2013, 09:21:06 pm »
I'm really impressed with our local library and the speed at which they get new books in...I've started reserving books as soon as they are ordered and usually have them a few days after they are released in the shops.  With the cookbooks, I normally look through them to see if they have any recipes that I will actually use....if there are only a few...I scan or write out those recipes....the ones that there are lots of recipes I want in, I either buy as ebooks if they are available or have a list to look out for when they are finally released.  I'm hoping one day the Jamie Oliver books are released as ebooks because they take up a massive amount of room on my shelves....the women's weekly ones also...I just wish they would release them as epubs not just in their app.  I buy them through their app but there is no easy way of printing off the recipe for when you want a physical copy :(.

I'm hoping to get to typo today to get a couple of those cookie stamps....they are sooooooo cute.  I'm also planning on getting some ingredients so that I can finally try out the ice cream machine.  Its a cold rainy day here today and I'm stuck running the kids back and forth to work so I can't go far afield....a perfect day to cook up a storm in the kitchen!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #10682 on: November 30, 2013, 12:29:29 am »
With the Breville at first I seemed to get a bit stuck to the sides that was hard to get off but now I don't seem to have that problem. It is a little fiddly getting the ice cream off the paddle, but like with the TMX you find your own way of doing it after a few goes. Depending on the recipe some ice creams seem to freeze much harder and stay harder as I'm scooping into the container for the freezer, while others stay more firm. With Tenina's chocolate (a staple here) it seems to melt quickly, while the peppermint choc chip from the forum stays more firm. The kids also haven't noticed a difference in batches where we have made the custard in advance from those where we have put it into the ice cream machine while still warm. During DD's exams she was making the peppermint custard and putting it straight from cooking in the TMX to the ice cream machine and then eating. It took a while longer for it to churn but only by about 15 mins she said.  I ended up paying $360 for my Breville and am very happy with it.

Let me give you a tip to try with getting the ice cream off the paddle.  I've been using self-contained ice cream freezers for decades, since I got my first Simac back in the '80s.
I used to use a nylon pastry brush - the stiffer type - but now I use a SILICONE BASTING BRUSH.  It gets into the nooks and crannies and cleans the stuff off the paddles quickly. 

My machine lives on a large metal tray - actually it is a full-size sheet pan for baking, but since I no longer have my big oven, I have repurposed the sheet pans for other uses.  It catches all the drips and I can lay the paddle down on it as well as scoops and spoons and it is easy to clean.   I know they are available from some vendors in OZ because my friend who lives in Victoria uses them in her cheesemaking - also to catch drips from draining cheeses.  She is off on a trip right now so I can't ask but I'm sure one of you knowledgeable folks will find the info, if you don't already have it.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

stacelee

« Reply #10683 on: November 30, 2013, 12:44:36 am »
You can get a full sized stainless steel steam pan which is 327mm x 527mm x 20mm deep....it would fit the breville with room to spare.  There are also lots of different size aluminium baking sheets that you could also use that are cheaper than the stainless steel.  Most catering equipment companies stock them as a standard item...the aluminium sheets are usually around the $20 mark.

I didn't even think about putting it on a tray...its a brilliant idea...I've always kept my toaster on a tray so that the crumbs drop on it, but haven't thought of doing it with any other items.  My toaster sits on one of the plastic trays that are similar to what butchers use.  They come in lots of different sizes.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #10684 on: November 30, 2013, 07:54:10 pm »
Andi thanks for the tip re the silicon brush, I have one of those but we never really liked it for basting so it's in the bottom of the draw.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10685 on: November 30, 2013, 11:00:21 pm »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10686 on: December 01, 2013, 03:17:01 am »
I couldn't help myself.

I will buy anything about bread that looks interesting. Then this other book seemed glued to it or something.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10687 on: December 01, 2013, 08:34:56 am »
how good does that Breville ice cream machine look  8)  sadly no room for it here, only room for the separate ice cream bowls in the freezer.

I love Typo....funky & fun that shop is!

Well I was only dashing into "house" to pick up the Zuko slushie book

But also walked out with a cheesemaking kit  :-))  the packing is just adorable
https://www.house.com.au/product/millie's-fromage-homemade-cheese-starter-kit

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #10688 on: December 01, 2013, 09:04:15 am »
The cheese kit looks interesting Maddy,  may have to investigate that ;) ;D

Cookie, love the bread magazine, don't think I have seen that one locally

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10689 on: December 01, 2013, 10:00:12 am »
Apparently they come out 4 times a year. They are British. I found it in a newsagent near Hally's place.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10690 on: December 01, 2013, 10:02:24 am »
Apparently they come out 4 times a year. They are British. I found it in a newsagent near Hally's place.

Ooohhhh where cookie, must look :) was it risley village?
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10691 on: December 01, 2013, 12:30:19 pm »
Andi, thank you for your suggestions. They both helped reduce the effort and mess. Sometimes it really is the simple suggestions that are the best. Putting a tray underneath made the clean up easy. Yes the silicon brush worked a treat.
Karen, this is probably a silly suggestion but do you make sure your machine is on before you add your custard. I have the cuisinart ice cream machine too ( would love one with a compressor). The first time I poured then switched on not so good!
Denise

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
Will
« Reply #10692 on: December 01, 2013, 12:57:41 pm »
That's a great idea Andi.  Will definitely do that in the future (if they ever sort my ice cream machine out lol).

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #10693 on: December 01, 2013, 01:08:41 pm »
I bought all 3 boys Furby toys today .......... bargain price of $29.99.  I'm very chuffed at getting a bargain for Christmas lol. Toysrus had them for $90 ......... got them to price match Mr Toys for $29.99. $180 saved and I think the kids will love them.  I love Christmas ......
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 01:14:12 pm by Debbiebillg »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10694 on: December 01, 2013, 08:55:56 pm »
Thanks Andi.  About to make Ice Cream today.