Author Topic: Cleaning fresh fruit (and some veg)  (Read 9371 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Cleaning fresh fruit (and some veg)
« on: January 11, 2020, 08:21:03 am »
I've been doing this for about 6 months now, since I saw the tip on line somewhere.  I had to try it out as soon as I saw it and have been doing it ever since.  Works so well with strawberries, blueberries, grapes, cherry toms to name a few.  Anything that you basically don't peel to eat, though I tried apples once but you can only fit about 3 in the basket so I didn't bother with doing them again.  Plums would probably be good too but I think raspberries would be too delicate.  It's supposed to wash off the wax and give them a better clean than doing it by hand. 

fruit of choice (don't overfill the basket)
1 litre water (no more)
about 2 tsp white vinegar

Place water and vinegar into TM bowl.  Place fruit into the internal steamer basket and set in place.
Wash 2 mins/speed 7.  You don't need to put the MC in place (though I haven't tested it in the TM31) and it's quite fascinating to watch the force of the water washing over the fruit. (I know, little things and all that!  :D )

Once done, rinse the fruit under running water then drain for a min or so before transferring to a clean tea towel and dabbing dry.  I leave for about 10 mins or so until dry then I return the fruit to their little punnets.  I find them the best way to store them as they allow air to circulate.

My strawberries were shiny and the little green leaves were standing up, the blueberries were shiny. 
I found they lasted longer than when not washed.

If you have a punnet of strawberries or blueberries in your fridge, give it a try and see what you think.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:22:46 am by JulieO »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning fresh fruit (and some veg)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 11:39:06 am »
That’s handy to know Julie, thanks for sharing.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 07:15:01 pm »
A great tip Julie. Thank you.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 01:35:11 pm »
Will do tomorrow as I have a couple of punnets of blueberries in the fridge.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/