Author Topic: Failsafe disasters  (Read 5378 times)

Offline mumofthree

• View Profile
Failsafe disasters
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:10:43 am »
Hi there, I am new to this forum and have been a failsafer (intol to dairy, salicylates and amines) for the last 3 months.
When I heard about the TX I booked a demo straight away - anything to save time in the kitchen cooking food from scratch!

Unfortunately my in home demo was nothing short of a disaster. The consultant attempted to convert the failsafe recipes (from Fed Up by Sue Dengate) with 5 of the 6 dishes tried thrown into the bin. I was not instilled with confidence and am still yet to commit to buying a TX.  In theory I want one, but I am yet to be convinced that it will save me time, given the limitations of failsafe ingredients  and having to start again after throwing dishes out.

I am keen to hear from any other failsafers out there. What do they love using their TX for, what recipes really work well?
I was thrilled to just read a recent post of a failsafe chicken risotto recipe, as the one we made at the in home demo looked like glue and was so 'leeky' it was thrown out.

So please, any reasons why the TX is a must have for failsafers.  I am hoping to use it for more than just custards and rice pudding!

Thanks, Sarah   

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Failsafe disasters
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 02:26:40 pm »
Welcome to the forum mumofthree.I am lucky as my family don't have food intolerance but there are plenty of forum members who are sensitive to certain foods who will help you here.I was pleased to read that you were not put off by the demo disaster and you could look through and see the full potential of the TM.Have fun cooking.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 02:36:25 pm »
Don't give up mumofthree,  the fault my be with the demonstrator not the machine.  The TMX is like a second cook in the kitchen,  once you understand it's wonderful potential.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:49:53 pm »
Did you throw the recipes out because they tasted awful or looked awful?  For example, you mentioned that the risotto was very leeky.

Over my year of cooking with TMX, the only things we haven't eaten were because we didn't like the flavours.  These also happened to be "risky" recipes to start with, as they had new ingredient combinations in them (new for us that is). 

So I guess I'm wondering whether it was the recipes that were cooked, rather than the how?

And in answer to your overall question, while we are not failsafers, I firmly believe that a TMX is an essential for anyone who is cooking from scratch.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Bambi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 02:03:08 am »
Im a failsafer ;) I replied to your other thread :) Welcome.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 10:14:09 am »
Welcome mumofthree.I hope we can help you to make your decision.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mumofthree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:59:30 am »
Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes.
Bambi, the blog link you sent for failsafers has been great to read and gives me more confidence in ordering a TMX.  I can't wait to try the chicken dumplings and rice paper rolls detailed there.
Cathy79, the recipes that we tried at the demo are ones that we eat regularly (cooking by conventional means) so I was interested in the time saving ability of the TMX.  I think the error with the risotto was that the leek got pulversied at the start and permeated absolutely everything, making the frinal product taste terrible. After reading more on this website I am aware that even the experienced cooks have 'off' days and that correcting a recipe after a failure is the way to go!  I also take on board that at the start it may be easier to convert TMX recipes to failsafe rather than the other way around.

I am still interested to hear from other failsafers. It's exciting to hear of the way TX helps with our restricted diets.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 02:45:56 am »
Welcome mumofthree. Glad you have not been put off. As mentioned there a many members with intolerances.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 06:42:37 am »
Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes.
Bambi, the blog link you sent for failsafers has been great to read and gives me more confidence in ordering a TMX.  I can't wait to try the chicken dumplings and rice paper rolls detailed there.
Cathy79, the recipes that we tried at the demo are ones that we eat regularly (cooking by conventional means) so I was interested in the time saving ability of the TMX.  I think the error with the risotto was that the leek got pulversied at the start and permeated absolutely everything, making the frinal product taste terrible. After reading more on this website I am aware that even the experienced cooks have 'off' days and that correcting a recipe after a failure is the way to go!  I also take on board that at the start it may be easier to convert TMX recipes to failsafe rather than the other way around.

I am still interested to hear from other failsafers. It's exciting to hear of the way TX helps with our restricted diets.

Good luck with your TMX.  They really are a fantastic machine to use when eliminating all sorts of nasties from your diet.  Please ask along the way for help converting recipes as we often all put our thinking caps on to help each other come up with solutions.  With regard to leek, I now sweat my leeks at 70 degrees (in oil or butter) for about 10 minutes before adding them to dishes and this helps to take the sharp taste away and leaves the lovely sweet flavour.  :)

Offline mumofthree

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 11:35:34 am »
Wow, I have been motivated so much by these messages that I have just ordered a TMX! It should arrive Wed/Thurs at the latest.
Wish me luck.... and you'll be hearing from me soon asking about those recipe conversions.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 02:35:49 pm »
Glad you got the feedback you needed to make your decision to buy mumofthree - you will not regret it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 03:48:21 am »
Wonderful news. Not long to go before you get it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 05:15:52 am »
Welcome mumofthree - hope some of your failsafe issues have been sorted?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline mumofthree

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 07:15:58 am »
Yay, we are still failsafe but are loving having had a thermomix for 24 hrs!
The custard is awesome and rice pudding so easy. We also tried the failsafe chicken risotto posted several weeks ago and the kids cannot get enough of the dairy free slushies/sorbet. A cashew butter has also worked well. We are now waiting for our soy ice cream to freeze! All good.