Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8974061 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #36780 on: September 12, 2022, 05:34:37 am »
Those Tim Tam balls sound very tempting, Judy ... do you have the recipe handy?

I had an easy weekend, just made some Non Fried Fried Rice - good, all in one meal using the jug and varoma and quick to make.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36781 on: September 12, 2022, 05:53:03 am »
Yes sure Marina. Don’t know where I found the recipe, it’s handwritten and uses cream cheese instead of condensed milk.

400g Tim Tams
250g full fat cream cheese (at room temp)
1/2 cup coconut or crushed nuts (I blitzed some shaved almonds slightly as that’s all I had)

I only made half quantity and made 36 slightly smaller bite sized balls. This is what I did.

Blended the biscuits until smooth, didn’t take long in the Thermomix.
Added the cream cheese and mixed on speed 5 for a few seconds until it all came together.
Refrigerated the mixture for 30 minutes then rolled into 1 teaspoon balls, rolled in the nuts and refrigerated.

Freezes well and apparently can be popped into your mouth in a frozen state so they are no safer in the freezer than the fridge!  I have no idea what they taste like but they should be nice.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 05:57:24 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #36782 on: September 12, 2022, 07:45:03 am »
Judy I though having Timtams in the cupboard hard enough to resist but they sound yum .
Made chicken stock paste , I use to make this all the time but no for years . Mine is green as I added lots of herbs , no celeriac so added fennel parsnip carrot .

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #36783 on: September 12, 2022, 07:59:15 am »
Judy, those Tim Tam balls sound very nice.
I made a pot of leek, potato, cauliflower & broccolini soup for lunch.  A batch of vegetarian/vegan sausage rolls for two of my GD.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36784 on: September 12, 2022, 09:03:00 am »
I hope someone tries the balls ladies so that I know if they are nice.
Margaret your grand-daughters must love what you do for them and the soup sounds interesting. I find plain cauli or broccoli lacking something these days.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #36785 on: September 12, 2022, 09:04:03 pm »
Yes sure Marina. Don’t know where I found the recipe, it’s handwritten and uses cream cheese instead of condensed milk.

400g Tim Tams
1/2 cup coconut or crushed nuts (I blitzed some shaved almonds slightly as that’s all I had)

I only made half quantity and made 36 slightly smaller bite sized balls. This is what I did.

Added the cream cheese and mixed on speed 5 for a few seconds until it all came together.
Refrigerated the mixture for 30 minutes then rolled into 1 teaspoon balls, rolled in the nuts and refrigerated.

Freezes well and apparently can be popped into your mouth in a frozen state so they are no safer in the freezer than the fridge!  I have no idea what they taste like but they should be nice.

Thanks, Judy, that's a nice easy recipe, unfortunately I don't know of a vegan swap for the cream cheese - I might have to do a fair bit of research on that one - I am thinking a macadamia cream (if there is such a recipe out there!)

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #36786 on: September 13, 2022, 12:00:38 am »

400g Tim Tams

Thanks, Judy, that's a nice easy recipe, unfortunately I don't know of a vegan swap for the cream cheese - I might have to do a fair bit of research on that one - I am thinking a macadamia cream (if there is such a recipe out there!)

Marina, try one of these sites for vegan cream cheese, Loving It Vegan, Nora Cooks  & Minimilist Baker they all have a recipe and use cashew nuts.  These sites are the ones I mainly use for my vegan GD.   
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #36787 on: September 13, 2022, 12:54:18 am »
Thanks for those suggestions, Margaret.  I refer to Minimalist Baker a lot, she has heaps of great recipes (she recently published a vegan tiramisu recipe which is fantastic), but I haven't heard of the other two you list so I will go and check them out.  Quirky Jo also has some dairy options ... looks like I have got my internet time booked up between all those sites.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #36788 on: September 13, 2022, 06:04:01 am »
Those Tim Tam Balls sound deliciously dangerous Judy.
Cuilidh I have a recipe for Cashew "Cream Cheese" that is pretty similar if I remember correctly. It's from the vegan Rainbow Recipes book. Let me know if you would like the recipe and I'll try to remember how to message it to you.
No cooking for me for a little while. We'll be living out of the freezer and airfryer. Thermie has been returned to base for a minor fix and service. After 12 years of tireless hard yakka I think a little break is well deserved. At least I hope it's just a little break. Fingers crossed.

“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36789 on: September 13, 2022, 09:04:55 am »
I had mine done a little while back Gayle, it doesn’t get used now like it used to and I wanted it to keep on going before they ceased spare parts for it. That’s after 20 years I believe. The parts are expensive but the labour cost is very reasonable I thought but no matter what it was going to cost, I was going to get it done.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What are you cooking today?
« Reply #36790 on: September 13, 2022, 12:58:23 pm »
I made a Macadamia fudge thing. It needed a bit more baking but after being in the fridge it firmed up. https://www.lindt.com.au/recipes/Lindt-Milk-Chocolate-and-Macadamia-Brownie
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 01:01:05 pm by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #36791 on: September 13, 2022, 08:20:07 pm »
Those Tim Tam Balls sound deliciously dangerous Judy.
Cuilidh I have a recipe for Cashew "Cream Cheese" that is pretty similar if I remember correctly. It's from the vegan Rainbow Recipes book. Let me know if you would like the recipe and I'll try to remember how to message it to you.
No cooking for me for a little while. We'll be living out of the freezer and airfryer. Thermie has been returned to base for a minor fix and service. After 12 years of tireless hard yakka I think a little break is well deserved. At least I hope it's just a little break. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the cream cheese suggestion, Gayle, I have Rainbow Recipes so I will take a look that as well as following up on Mab's suggestions.

I recently sent my TMX in for a service.  Like yours, mine is around 11- 12 years old. 

I am bitterly disappointed, I do not think I got my own machine returned to me, they charged me for a new fascia panel and the one I have got is clearly used; it now makes a very unpleasant 'trilling' sound when it beeps at the end of a cooking period; I do not think it heats to the higher temperatures and the blades are blunt.  I will have to send it back, I just haven't had time to arrange it yet.

Hopefully this is just my unhappy experience and yours is returned promptly and working well.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #36792 on: September 13, 2022, 10:43:26 pm »
Needed a break from packing so made these bread rolls. Also made Banana Cake from my blog.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36793 on: September 14, 2022, 01:03:40 am »
You do still need to eat Chookie so those breaks would be enjoyable to spend in the kitchen doing what you do best. Perfect rolls as we would expect.

Marina that’s not good enough with your machine after a service, for a start it should have come back with new blades if yours were blunt. I’d certainly be jumping up and down on the spot with them about your observations of the replacement front panel too. Mine was done in Adelaide and they let me know in advance what needed replacing and how much it would cost.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36794 on: September 14, 2022, 10:40:03 am »
Not good Marina. If by any chance you still have any of your purchase details the serial number should be on it. You could then check. When my 5 went in I put a dob of pink nail polish on all the parts. I was able to check when it came back.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/