Author Topic: Cleaning problems  (Read 23072 times)

Offline Karen Joy

• View Profile
Re: Cleaning problems
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 02:55:23 pm »
A tip I read somewhere was that you could put a clean tea towel into the bowl and run it on  :-: at speed 1 to dry it in a hurry

Hi Katya, thanks for the tip...I tried this one and it work...and it also worked well with hot water...so much faster! :-)

Offline mb5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 10:04:43 am »
Hi, I to am a new TM owner and have tried everything suggested (detergent, vinegar, bi carb, lemon in the bowl, also cut up lemons and left them on the lid) to get the onion smell off the lid, all with no success. I am now not wanting to make sorbet etc for fear of contanimation.
I was thing of buying an additional lid.  :-
I would be grateful for any suggestion.

Marlene.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 11:13:09 am »
Hi mb5, welcome to the forum.  These smelly lids seem to be a real problem so I have found a few threads for you to check out and see if there is any other method available to you.  I always wash my TMX immediately if cooking something with a very strong smell, never store my lid clicked into place, I hang it on the bowl with its little hook so that the bowl and lid air properly.  From time to time I take the seal out to air that too but you do have to remember to put it back in or you can have liquid everywhere :-)) :-)) You have tried a few methods already but maybe there are others on one of these threads that you can try - like placing it in the freezer overnight. I would buy a spare seal at least and keep one for desserts and one for savoury cooking. I think all TMX's should come with 2 seals to begin with.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3380.0

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=6304.0

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3352.0

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4545.0

http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/thermomix-tm-31/thermomix-tm-31/11344/smelly-lid-seal.html
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 01:43:21 pm »
Have you found that the smell transfers to your next dish?

I made a curry once that stained the lid and left a smell on the lid. I found that after a while the smell and the stain disappeared and quickly too. It also didn't taint any of the other foods I cooked in there afterwards. My group leader suggested that I just keep washing as normal and it would all be OK. Guess what it was.

I also learnt a few things on this thread so thanks for posting Karen Joy.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 03:41:29 pm »
A tip I read somewhere was that you could put a clean tea towel into the bowl and run it on  :-: at speed 1 to dry it in a hurry

Hi Katya, thanks for the tip...I tried this one and it work...and it also worked well with hot water...so much faster! :-)

Just be aware that your warranty can be voided by doing this with a tea towel  :o

Also to dry your bowl, after wiping it with a tea towel and your hand ( always in the clockwise direction ) put your lid on and wiz on spd 10 for a second or hit the turbo button. This pushes all water on the bottom of the blades and heating element to the side of the bowl then use your tea towel to wipe the lower sides of the bowel and voila very  dry bowl :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 12:13:27 am »
The best tip I use, as my seal also became smelly in the beginning is to never store with the lid on. Best to hang it on the bowl. My seal doesn't hold smells since doing this.
Denise
Denise

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 12:35:20 pm »
I've never had problems with smells hanging on until I got my new seal recently. My TMX has a permanent cooking smell - oniony, garlicky sort of smell.
The new seal is mainly clear, whereas the old one was a solid dark grey colour.

I've not really worried too much about it and have made the custard for ice cream, cooked apples and cakes and the smell hasn't transferred.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline supernanny

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 05:25:10 am »
Re. cleaning and drying your TM. The first few days are the worst trying to get used to it all.
I usually take out the blades for cleaning. Adding vinegar to cleaning water takes away the smell.
If I need to use it again quickly, the hair dryer is a good option for the underneath connections
that must be dry before use.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 06:07:38 am »
Welcome to the forum supernanny.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 06:27:24 am »
Meagan, re drying with a tea towel on reverse, does that void the warranty?  At both my initial and delivery demonstration my consultant showed this as the standard way of drying the TMX. I personally haven't bothered but am curious to know if the consultant is giving out incorrect advice.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 01:09:18 pm »
Meagan, re drying with a tea towel on reverse, does that void the warranty?  At both my initial and delivery demonstration my consultant showed this as the standard way of drying the TMX. I personally haven't bothered but am curious to know if the consultant is giving out incorrect advice.

Yes the consultant shouldn't be doing that. It was a directive about 3/4 months ago, maybe longer. If you accidentily wizzed it at a higher speed then yes your warranty would not cover it.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 01:19:11 pm »
Oh wow, thanks for that Megan.  I was shown at a class how to do the teatowel thing and often do it when I'm using the TMX for lots of different things! 
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline KylieJade

• View Profile
    • Embrace Better Health
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 12:51:14 am »
Re the tea towel dry method - we used to show that at demos as a bit of a laugh, but now have been told not to; if done with a nice new tea towel it is fine, but if someone tried it with a bit of an older tea towel with threads hanging off the threads could get twisted up in the blades.... so no more self dry!

As for the seal retaining smells - I made a few curries and could not get the smell off – so I bought a "curry seal" especially for use for those smelly dishes. But sitting unused for a few weeks in the drawer it now has absolutely no odour... it must just have been that first few days after making the curry...

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 05:27:01 am »
I am a new TM owner and thought you could take the seal out but it seemed very difficult whenever I tried so I thought it was stuck in place. I haven't really had much of an issue with smells. However, I just went to try taking out the seal after reading all this and figured out how to do it  :-)) so I have learnt something as a result of this.

I have also learnt how to clean the TM better as a result of practice but I still find it annoying how sometimes things get caught under the blades.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 01:18:10 pm »
oh you have got to be kidding..this guy is getting annoying...MM I hope you can get onto this soon  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/