Author Topic: Mince Meat Curry  (Read 100762 times)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Mince Meat Curry
« on: May 16, 2009, 07:21:24 am »
Name of Recipe: Mince meat curry
Number of People: 4 serves
Ingredients:
1 onion, quartered
2 cloves garlic
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
45g oil
2 teaspoons curry powder (or more to taste)
500g minced beef (or make your own in the TMX)
300g 200g water
1 teaspoon homemade meat stock or a beef stock cube
2 tablespoons tomato paste
l heaped tablespoon fruit chutney
3 teaspoons cornflour

Preparation:
Place onion, garlic, carrots and celery in the bowl.  Chop 3 seconds on speed 5.
Add oil and curry powder & saute 4 minutes/100o/speed 1.
Add minced meat and cook 10 minutes/varoma temperature/reverse/soft speed (or speed 1 if the food isn't moving enough).
Mix the cornflour with a bit of water, add the rest of the water, tomato paste, fruit chutney and meat stock and add to the bowl.
Cook for 15 minutes/100o/reverse/soft speed (or speed 1) with MC on. If you feel as if there is too much liquid in the bowl, leave the MC off to help with the evaporation.

Serve over rice.
Tips/Hints:
You could stretch this meal further by adding any vegies of choice after you add the stock etc and cook until the vegies are done. We don't like hot curries so this is only a mild one - I'm sure the kids wouldn't even know it is in there.

12/4/10 Have reduced the original quantity of water to make it thicker.

members' comments

Rowyfo - Thanks SO much for this. My 10 yo daughter loved it and she is soooo fussy. And DH said it was good enough to have once a week!  I used pork & veal mince instead of beef and added frozen peas, corn and beans until it was sitting at the 2L mark. Everybody ate it apart from miss 4 but that's normal!

Carrie - I made this tonight, a nice quick easy dinner. Was very yummy too. Thanks for posting it, JD.

tonydav - Very nice. Kids both had seconds and the wife said "it's a keeper". I added zucchini, mushrooms and capsicum as well. Just love how it ends up still textured but tiny so the kids just think it's mince.

maddy - Thanks Judy......kids wolfed your dish down tonight! I also added mushroom, capsicum and used 3 tablespoons of leggos (garlic/herb) pizza sauce, instead of the tomato paste. We had some sauce left so I will freeze it and use it as a topping for whole baked  potatoes.

MJ - This was delicious! Mine was very sloppy, even though I used less water. But, I'll definitely make it again, thanks JD!

chookie - Made JD's curry mince. Thought I had better stick with the recipe, thought there was too much veg but pressed ahead. It was perfect except DH doesn't like carrot so I zapped it on speed 7 for 5 seconds.  Chopped the carrot nicely.
Judy, this is soooo easy and tasty. I made it again today to fill some little round bread rolls. I will cut off the tops, dig out the crumb and fill with the curry mince then heat in the oven. Thanks for making this so easy.

farfallina - I finally made it and it was great. Thank you for the recipe. I am happy I managed to make also chutney, it wouldn't be the same otherwise. For me it should be served with rice. They are just great together. It could be used also as pasta sauce.

Frozzie - thanks JD love this recipe.  Always a hit...have made this recipe several times in the past couple of months and everyone always loves it, even the French and they aren't big fans of spice!

missgrunge - I made this for my first dinner meal in my TMX as a newbie.  It was so easy, quick, nutritious and tasty. I used Branston pickle for the fruit chutney and the finished curry was delish!  I told my son the meal was called "Meat-o-rama" as I don't believe 'Mince Meat Curry' does it justice, and I didn't want to put him off with thoughts of hot spicy curries.  He LOVED it!  Well done and thank you for the recipe.  Meat-o-rama has a secure place in our home now.

nix - Made this but didn't have some ingredients so ad-libbed - it tastes great.  I used chopped dried apricots instead of chutney and added garam masala and chilli flakes for some heat. Also added pumpkin.

dede - This is a hit. Very quick and easy and everyone loved it. My 4 year old asked if I could make it again in the thermomixer thing. Thanks for sharing this.

CarolineW -  made this for my family and it was a big hit - even with suddenly fussy DD1.  It has been requested by all that it gets added as a regular family meal from now on.
I didn't have curry paste to hand, so I just put in various spices I would put in a curry.  The only chutney I could find at that precise moment was mango chutney, so I used that.  My other chutneys came out from their hiding place the next day but I'm a bit afraid to use anything but mango in future, in case I have to face the Wrath Of The Family.
Thanks so much for sharing - this is now a family favourite.

foodiebate - it was a winner with my two fussy children....
Today when I made it, a bit sad .....I heard you could walk away after the timer goes off and not worry that the dish will continue cooking with a tmx.... Well I had to race to an appointment and when I came back the meat is almost mush....no fault of the recipe...just going to remember that it does indeed still cook...

JD -  foodiebate, I wouldn't advise leaving the TMX on and leaving the house.  Yes you can leave it whilst you go off somewhere in the house and do other jobs but once the timer goes off, it really should be turned off as soon as you can get to it.  The continuing movement of the blades would be what has caused it to turn to mush. 

johnro - This dish was one of the first meals I did in thermie and has always been tops - did this for dinner tonight with jacket potatoes, sour cream and grated cheese - fed 4 adults and 4 children.

Jamberie - This is great! I had 250g pork mince and 250g beef mince I wanted to use and didn't feel like bolognaise (again).
I made quite a few tweaks based on what I had in the cupboard, thought I'd post the tweaks just in case someone finds it useful.
The biggest tweak I made was to add 200g rice to the bowl after the mince was browned - to minimise dishes! I then added a can of crushed tomatoes and 300g water and 1/2 packet of frozen spinach and cooked the lot for 17mins/reverse/sp1...about 2 minutes from the end I added a cup of peas.
Also, I didn't have any fruit chutney so I added 2tbsp golden syrup and 1 or 2 tbsp of soy sauce.

obbie - Made this with vegies. yummy.

JuliaC83 - Made this and although it is visually unappealing, everyone loved it. Used 500g pork/veal mince. Served with buttery couscous and peas/corn mix!

djinni373 - Made this and it was really good. I did a few things differently and I think I’ll do them again. If my memory is correct this is what I did:
-added an extra carrot
-fried the curry powder with the onion etc
-didn’t have cornflour so put equal amount normal flour in with the mince and fried it
-didn’t have fruit chutney so I sliced 4 or 5? dried apricots and added them instead.
-added a diced large zucchini and added with the water etc
-added a big handful of broccoli floweret pieces and a small handful of sultanas with 10 minutes to go.
Chookies rice for the family cooked itself in the thermoserver while this cooked in the thermie. (I always use quality “heart smart” mince which I think has a lower fat content)
Very quick, very easy and tasted good too - just a hint of sweet.
Sorry no pic but it actually looked pretty good too. Next time.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:58:22 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Mince Meat Curry
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 07:52:33 am »
Thanks JD - a simple, quick, doable tasty meal.  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:07:25 pm »
Ohhh this is going to be a hit in my family!! Thanks so much Judydawn - lol I will have to hide vegies in mine though...to stretch it and also fill them up!!   :o
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:46:54 am »
Thanks SO much for this. My 10 yo daughter loved it and she is soooo fussy. And DH said it was good enough to have once a week!

I used pork & veal mince instead of beef, and added frozen peas, corn and beans until it was sitting at the 2L mark, and everybody ate it apart from miss 4, but that's normal!
Row

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:58:41 am »
Thanks Rowyfo, it is such a thrill when you read that someone has tried one of your recipes and liked it.  Nice winter dish born out of necessity and lack of meat recipes in any of the TMX books. Cheap too.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 10:26:38 pm »
Thanks Rowyfo, it is such a thrill when you read that someone has tried one of your recipes and liked it.  Nice winter dish born out of necessity and lack of meat recipes in any of the TMX books. Cheap too.

Remember Tenina is putting together a meat cookbook - so send any meaty pieces to her (hope it's not too late ;) )
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 03:18:22 am »
Hi Thermomixer,

You must be in the "know"as I hadn't heard about the meat cookbook.  Unfortunately here in SAust we don't seem to get much info as to what is going on, hence why I'm loving this site!!!

Trudy

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:56:26 am »
I hope the meat recipe book will be indicative of the types of meat dishes we eat here in Australia not just ones translated from other books from other countries. 

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:24:26 am »
Hi Thermomixer,

You must be in the "know"as I hadn't heard about the meat cookbook.  Unfortunately here in SAust we don't seem to get much info as to what is going on, hence why I'm loving this site!!!

Trudy

Blink and you miss it - it was advertised in the Christmas newsletter that went out, but TMX HQ doesn't seem to be as helpful with Tenina (and us) as they could be.

Occasionally you see evidence http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=918.msg5090#msg5090  and this excerpt from the March blog http://thermorecipes.blogspot.com/2009/03/lime-meets-chocolate-head-on.html
SO...as this is late, the next posting will seem early, so don't take too long...make this weekend a Cookie-a-thon and let me know your vote soon! And just to be going on with, for April, I think we will go your VERY BEST 'meat in the Thermomix' recipes! We are trying to collate our meat book now...which to date remains nameless, so any good ideas on that score would be appreciated as well!
Don't be strangers now!

So, get to work and send in recipes to Tenina
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:32:41 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 09:33:31 am »
I hope the meat recipe book will be indicative of the types of meat dishes we eat here in Australia not just ones translated from other books from other countries. 

They'll only be Aussie if we send her recipes -  ;) ;) ;)  Let's get to work
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 10:30:43 am »
i tried! but all mine were disasters! :'(
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 11:55:04 am »

They'll only be Aussie if we send her recipes -  ;) ;) ;)  Let's get to work
So, remind me again, how do we get recipes to Tenina?

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 01:41:58 pm »
Tenina can be contacted via recipes@thermomix.com.au - thanks
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 06:47:02 am »
Just thought I should up update the happy Thermomix forum members;
I literally am mid meat book and am about half way. ALL GREAT stuff but room for more, so don't hesitate to send me anything that may be applicable to recipes@thermomix.com.au
We have loads of chicken and not many other cuts, so put your creative chefs hats on and get cooking! ;)

Offline Bekadan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 11:29:01 am »
Name of Recipe:Mince meat curry
Number of People:4 serves
Ingredients:
1 onion, quartered
2 cloves garlic
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
45g oil
2 teaspoons curry powder (or more to taste)
500g minced beef (or make your own in the TMX)
300g water
1 teaspoon homemade meat stock or a beef stock cube
2 tablespoons tomato paste
l heaped tablespoon fruit chutney
3 teaspoons cornflour

Preparation:
Place onion, garlic, carrots and celery in the bowl.  Chop 3 seconds on speed 5.
Add oil and saute 4 minutes 100o speed 1.
Add curry powder and minced meat and cook 10 minutes on varoma temperature, on reverse and soft speed.
Mix the cornflour with a bit of water, add the rest of the water, tomato paste, fruit chutney and meat stock and add to the bowl.
Cook for 15 minutes 100o reverse and soft speed with MC off.
Serve over rice.
Tips/Hints:
You could stretch this meal further by adding any vegies of choice after you add the stock etc and cook until the vegies are done. We don't like hot curries so this is only a mild one - I'm sure the kids wouldn't even know it is in there.

HI JUDY I AM MAKING THIS IT SMELLS YUMMY BUT WHAT DOES SOFT SPEED WITH THE MC OFF MEAN???????