Author Topic: For Foods Sake- Beef and Ale Pie  (Read 17179 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: For Foods Sake- Beef and Ale Pie
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 12:12:35 am »
Ok quick quick.. Crazy week this week and im sitting typing this after 1am so here it is..

We finally had this tonight.. Made the filling and it sat in The fridge for two days.. Made some up as individual tortes and the others up as pies (individual ones too) and,..... They were delish.. Dh even said they made his top 10 preferred dishes lol so thats saying something and ds who is incredibly fussy scoffed his down and said je me regale!!! (basically he is in heaven and really enjoying his dinner which doesnt happen often so big smiles all round)

The only thing i may add next time is perhaps a little sweet or spice .. Its very nice but just thought a little something extra would take it just that bit further.. 9 1/2 out of 10 from us tenina!!! A definate yum!!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 05:43:48 am »
My turn to try this one.  Made half quantity of the recipe using Blade steak but used the full amount of cornflour seeing as everyone is saying it is very runny.  I left the MC off for the last 35 minutes of the 60 minute cooking time. Made 2 individual pies and 1 little ramekin for Mum but DH decided he couldn't eat the bigger one and he would have the smaller one.  Really enjoyed this - steamed the vegies whilst the pie was in the oven.  The timing works out perfectly if you are all ready to go.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2012, 11:44:51 am »
I made this for a Mothers Day lunch. I doubled the recipe and cooked it in my pressure cooker. I used a whole stubby of Coopers Pale Ale and beef shin( as it looked so nice in the shop). Once I bought it to pressure, it only took 15 minutes to cook. The meat was so tender, and  flavoursome. It had just the right amount of sauce too. I topped it with bought puff pastry as I was short on time. I made the filling the day before, and the flavours developed nicely overnight.. I have to say though, this was not all that popular with the kids as I think that the flavour of the ale was too rich for them. I loved it ;D
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2012, 11:47:48 am »
I made this for a Mothers Day lunch. I doubled the recipe and cooked it in my pressure cooker. I used a whole stubby of Coopers Pale Ale and beef shin( as it looked so nice in the shop). Once I bought it to pressure, it only took 15 minutes to cook. The meat was so tender, and  flavoursome. It had just the right amount of sauce too. I topped it with bought puff pastry as I was short on time. I made the filling the day before, and the flavours developed nicely overnight.. I have to say though, this was not all that popular with the kids as I think that the flavour of the ale was too rich for them. I loved it ;D

Alright you guys , am I know going to have to buy a pressure cooker? Everybody seems to have one these days.

This is a very good recipe

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2012, 12:37:40 pm »
Cooked it in the pressure cooker for 30 mins and the meat was lovely and tender. Thumbs up from the meat eaters in our household.

Offline Mrs KK

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 05:46:36 am »
I made this on the Thursday night to share with 40 friends at a casserole night. I doubled the meat but only increased the liquids by half, going by the comments I read. I also left off the mc whilst cooking. I wanted to double the quantity of mushrooms but the  *: was quite full. I just kept adding the mushrooms over the course of cooking time allowing each lot to cook and make more room. I also added an extra 30mins cooking time. I had rave reviews from everyone. 5/5 from all!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 04:19:38 am »
Threw this in my pc.

Still had a lot of liquid, but love it. Left over liquid is a good base for something else ;D

Splitting this with another family. Great it makes so much :)

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline TamG

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2013, 08:12:57 am »
I made this recently with very good results.  DD doesn't like mushrooms so I left those out of the mix and cooked them up separately.  I made mini pies in muffin tins with mine.  Using the one mix I made 3 flavour variations since the mix made so much.  One was mushroom, by just adding the separately cooked mushrooms, one was beef with the mix as is, and one was pepper by adding some pepper to the cooked meat.

Delicious Tenina.  Can't wait for the new book.