Author Topic: Varoma chilli chicken dumplings with dipping sauces  (Read 33188 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Varoma chilli chicken dumplings with dipping sauces
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 06:47:07 am »
Oh no Suzanne! :( I pan-fried my leftover filling mixture and put it on pizzas. I try not to throw anything out if I can help it :-[

*suzanne*

Re: Re: Varoma chilli chicken dumplings with dipping sauces
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 07:34:43 am »
that's what I should of done but was so fed up with it in the end don't think I would have enjoyed it anyway ::)

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 11:36:07 am »
I used Gyoza wrappers. They are Japanese dumpling wrappers that are healthy and easy to use. Packet of 30 cost $2.35 from Asian grocery shop. Wonton wrappers are thinner so onlynreally suitable for wonon soups not suitable for pan frying or steaming.
From Perth WA

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 01:31:55 pm »
I don't think we have an Asian supermarket here... I can't think of one off the top of my head anyway ??? :(
I'll have to look around for those Gyoza wrappers. Thanks for the tip MEP :)

*suzanne*

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 01:07:58 pm »
I'll have to definitely send mum and dad to get me some then, thanks for the tip ;D

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 01:27:49 pm »
You're welcome  :)
From Perth WA

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 10:35:01 am »
I made these tonight for our dinner. I didn't make the dough, as suggested I headed to my Asian supermarket and purchased the wrappers. They had several types to choose from, but no "gyoza" wrappers as recommended by MEP. They did have "jiao zi" dumpling wrappers so I went with these.

I left the peanuts out of the filling as my DH has a nut allergy, but I added some ginger and a couple of extra chilli's. I sprayed my Varoma with canola oil so they didn't stick. They turned out beautifully.

I made both the sauces - the hoisin sauce was definitely our favourite. I also made some chicken cold rolls - way too much good for two! My DH really loved the meal and thought I'd been slaving away in the kitchen all day! Thanks for the recipe!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:38:17 am by Katiej »
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 11:29:51 am »
They look wonderful Katie, well done :D I must try and get some wonton wrappers so I can try these again :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 12:43:22 pm »
Nice surprise for DH tonight Katie and knowing how much he loves his food, he would have been delighted I'm sure to see so much.

I saw a recipe in BH&G whilst in the lounge at the hospital for wonton tart shells, another use for this pastry.
Preheat oven to 180oC, spray holes of a mini muffin tin with oil then line every second hole with a wonton skin. Press a second mini muffin tin into the holes of the first tin and bake for about 7 minutes or until golden brown.  Set aside to cool before filling with some savoury filling.  They suggested smoked salmon, creme fraiche, red onion and dill or bocconcini, pesto and cherry tomatoes or Thai chicken salad.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 01:45:16 pm »
They look fantastic Katie.

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2013, 12:05:40 am »
Judy, that sounds a lovely little recipe :)

I saw a recipe in a magazine for Nutella tarts using wonton pastry cases, they looked really yummy and I've been meaning to try them with homemade chocolate nut spread :)

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 09:34:13 am »
Oh Amy that sounds perfect for my daughter.

Must try this recipe too, sounds delicious for me and maybe the missus.
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 11:32:11 am »
Wow - don't know how I missed these  . . Sounds wonderful!!  Hope to get to try them very soon . . .

. . and thanks, Judy, for this tip . .

I saw a recipe in BH&G whilst in the lounge at the hospital for wonton tart shells, another use for this pastry.
Preheat oven to 180oC, spray holes of a mini muffin tin with oil then line every second hole with a wonton skin. Press a second mini muffin tin into the holes of the first tin and bake for about 7 minutes or until golden brown.  Set aside to cool before filling with some savoury filling.  They suggested smoked salmon, creme fraiche, red onion and dill or bocconcini, pesto and cherry tomatoes or Thai chicken salad.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2013, 08:25:12 am »
I made a version of these using 250g chicken mince, 1/2 scallion, 1 glove garlic, small piece of ginger, a little chilli and some kneecap manis. Mixed together and put in purchased gow gee wrappers. A quick afternoon snack which were all gone in about 10 mins.