Author Topic: Bread recipes for the Thermomix  (Read 6096 times)

vivacity

Bread recipes for the Thermomix
« on: May 08, 2009, 04:36:48 pm »
Well, my Thermomix finally arrived today and I've just been skimming through the German cookery book (which isn't really that inspiring, so I am going to start reworking my own recipes).

The rep who gave me a demo last Saturday showed me how I can use the TM to bake wholewheat bread. Her theory was - and this seems to be the general idea in the cookery book - that you "grind" your grains in the TM, make a dough and then plonk it into a baking form and bake it straight away. I told her that I'd at least let it rise. The loaf (luckily she had gone home by the time it had finished baking) was really bad. The texture was like cement and you couldn't cut it because it crumbled.

When I usually bake bread I knead it, let it rise, punch it down again, knead it a second time, put it in the form, let it rise again and then bake it. All the recipes in the TM book I've seen so far support my rep's idea that you just form the dough straight from the TM, let it rise a bit and then bake it. But surely that's not real bread, is it? It cannot be the aim of using a TM to make bad bread more quickly? ???

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:16:23 pm by vivacity »

Offline René

• View Profile
Re: Bread recipes for the Thermomix
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 08:55:05 pm »
Hi,

It can never be the idea to make bad bread in the thermomix, only to save time - it completely agrees with you there :)

However, as a quite successfull breadmaker, the Thermomix saves me time a lot of work and time without compromises - since the kneading time can be shorter for the thermomix and also the leaveling time.

One of the articles that really got me started using the Thermomix instead of my ordinary kneading-machine, was the understanding that a lot of kernals could be milled fresh just before usage, and thus making it a more healthy bread.

I would recommend you to read this link below:
http://www.ukthermomix.com/recshow.php?rec_id=73

I think that this will aid you in a interesting series of adapting your favorite recipes :)
Kind regards,
René
Denmark

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 03:32:55 pm »
I think your demonstrator made a mistake!!
When I do a demo, we make the dough, let it rise for half an hour, then knock it back, put in a cold oven set at 180, it does the 2nd rise in the oven while its reaching temperature then cooks as normal....this is purely for a demo, if I was making at home I guess Id leave the dough out of the oven for the 2nd rise
Sounds like your consultant wasnt trained properley!!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 05:27:31 pm »
Vivacity, I can only comment on the spelt bread that I make, haven't tried any others yet. Will do soon as my DD has bought me a new THX bread recipe book. With the Spelt bread, the dough is shaped straight from the THX and left to rise once, about 30 mins. As you can see from my photos it works perfectly, like I said I can't comment on other recipe yet, but will get round to them shortly!
Amanda

Spain

vivacity

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 02:55:31 pm »
Thanks for all your replies!

I think my rep was quite new. Yesterday,  I recycled the dry, crumbly loaf from the demo  into really delicious dumplings (recipes in German TM book) and steamed them in the Varoma. This morning I made the wheat rolls and they were OK. I'm just going to try out my tried and trusted recipes, i.e. grind the grain in the TM, add the other ingredients, mix and go from there. I'm really impressed at how fine the TM grinds grain. You do end up with flour!

Once more, thanks for your help!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 03:29:48 pm »
Enjoy Vivacity! And when you end up with the best results, post it for us to try!!! ;) ;) ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:51:40 am »
I prefer to let it rise a second time and place in hot oven on a bread/pizza stone.  It does work with the second rise in the oven for rolls, but prefer in warm place and into hot oven for loaves.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:53:06 am »
Living in Cairns is great for dough rising