Author Topic: Silverside  (Read 13474 times)

Offline lcjtaylor

• View Profile
Silverside
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:09:24 am »
Hi All

I was just wondering if any one had a recipe for cooking silverside in the TMX 31?

Thank-you
Caroline

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Silverside
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:58:17 am »
personally i dont think you could in the THX..although never say never ..hopefully someone will have a positve answer for you...ive only made it from scratch on the stove top as its not available over here prepared as silverside ???
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:17:21 am »
Cyndi has one called Organic Corned Beef with Orange Sauce in her Healthy Cooking with Cyndi O'Meara booklet. If you don't have it I will post the recipe Caroline.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dyljon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:03:27 am »
Has anyone made Cyndi's one? I saw it in the book the other day but am a bit reluctant to try it without a review, lol.
Donella - Happy Valley SA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 01:12:35 am »
I'm pretty sure I asked that same question last summer dyljon but I didn't get an answer so like you, wasn't game to try it either.  I'm sure you could take her recipe though and just do whatever version you currently do, using the steaming basket for your piece of already cured silverside (if it fits in the basket that is). 

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 03:30:54 am »
I haven't made Cyndi's recipe but have used her time to cook the silverside. I usually  put onion & cloves in the bowl with the water and the meat in the basket & away we go. The meat turns out really moist & tender. It can be hard to find a piece to fit into the basket & I've thought about using the varoma but haven't as yet.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline dyljon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 06:57:54 am »
Thanks Jan. Do you think using the Varoma would make a difference? The piece of meat in my freezer will not fit in the basket. Being quite new to the tmx world I haven't had varoma demo yet and have only used it a few times so am still a little nervous. Having my varoma demo next weekend though so will hopefully get a bit more confident and attempt it then  ;)
Donella - Happy Valley SA

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 07:21:20 am »
Do you think using the Varoma would make a difference?
I'm not sure. I've wondered if it needs the water bath but am going to give it a go in the Varoma anyway-just to see. I'll have to wait a while though as DH is not fond of silverside so I only cook it every now and then. DS2 & I love it  ;)
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 08:27:38 am »
the consultants in oz must have their work cut out for them..i keep seeing havent had a varoma demo..in france its an all in one..it last about two and a half hours but the show all the thermomix..varoma is showed along with the main part of the thermomix....its a pity i guess that you dont get to see the advantages right from the word go..it would certainly mean less work for the consultants!!  A more compacted demo displaying the thermomix totally  :)  Saying that i guess there are reasons behind doing it that way ie different cultures react differently!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 09:11:57 am »
Personally I wouldn't steam silverside. I think it would get tough and not that nice full apart texture it's loved for???? Saucepan full of water with cloves, peppercorns, mustard seeds and a splash of vinegar and let it simmer for a good hour or more. Will free up the TMX to make your yummy white sauce.  ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 09:31:13 am »
the consultants in oz must have their work cut out for them..i keep seeing havent had a varoma demo..in france its an all in one..it last about two and a half hours but the show all the thermomix..varoma is showed along with the main part of the thermomix....its a pity i guess that you dont get to see the advantages right from the word go..it would certainly mean less work for the consultants!!  A more compacted demo displaying the thermomix totally  :)  Saying that i guess there are reasons behind doing it that way ie different cultures react differently!
Frozzie, over 2 years ago at the demo I went to, the varoma was used.  We had a tomato based sauce in the bowl, chicken in the varoma bowl and vegies on the tray.  I don't know if things have changed since them, consultants seem to make risotto nowadays.

Offline trudy o

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 01:19:44 am »
I've made Cyndi's corned beef recipe and it was absolutely beautiful.  I cut a piece of beef silverside in half and put it in the basket after salting etc and although it was a small piece was delicious.  Have done it a number of times now.  I prefer the usual white sauce though.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 01:24:34 am »
TrudyO, was the piece of meat you used just plain beef or was it a piece already corned?  My take on this recipe is that it is plain meat, something like a 'girello' roast.   I think we all prefer the traditional method of any way of cooking and I like mine with parsley sauce although others make a mustard sauce for theirs.

Offline trudy o

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 02:46:07 am »
Judy, it was a normal piece of beef silverside.  we buy our beef in 1/4's and we always get a silverside and I opt to get mine "uncorned" and cook it as per cyndi's recipe

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 04:00:49 am »
Thanks trudyo, I did think that but thought I'd make sure.