Author Topic: Hi from the UK  (Read 16707 times)

Offline fannyadams

• View Profile
Hi from the UK
« on: January 02, 2009, 06:43:21 pm »
My husband and I got ourselves a TM31 for Christmas and I am thrilled with it.  I have used it most days and have made delicious soups and puddings using recipes out of the booklet that came with the machine.  I am considering buying some other Thermomix cookbooks in the future, but I would love to know how to adapt recipes from my hundreds of cookbooks sitting on my shelves.  Any ideas would be most gratefully received.  I have looked with interest at the recipes posted here, and will look forward to trying them out on friends and family.  Everyone should have one.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
Re: Hi from the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 11:39:07 pm »
Hi Fanny,
As you know, I'm a new member too, but I started tagging some recipes made with the TM on my recipe site.  Feel free to visit www.recipesonrails.com.  If you want to go directly to a list of recipes using the TM, CLICK HERE.  Hopefully the list will grow with time :)  Like you, I'm really enjoying my TM.

Offline fannyadams

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:28:54 am »
Thanks very much, any help is much appreciated

Offline fannyadams

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 12:58:36 am »
I check this forum daily, and no one seems to post anything. This is not a criticism, but surely if we are going to help each other we need feedback from the recipes posted already, and new ideas.  I am a real newbie, but when I have anything that I think others may like I will post.  I was talking to some Spanish girls this evening and the TM31 is huge in Spain, as I think we all know.  It could be big here in the UK but we need to spread the word.  My brother lives in Sydney, and he hadn't heard of the TM31, and as this forum started in Aus, we need to spread the word there too.  Come on guys, lets get posting.  I am planning to move to Aus in a few years, and my TMX is definately coming with me, whether I'll take the old man and the kids......................( ;D)

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 01:47:01 am »
I didn't cook yesterday, as we met some cousins for dinner over in New Jersey.  I did work on a new recipe today and I hope to get the recipe down later. 

I've suggested before that we start a sub-forum just for chatter...  That might help.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 02:47:32 am »
I check this forum daily, and no one seems to post anything. This is not a criticism, but surely if we are going to help each other we need feedback from the recipes posted already, and new ideas.  I am a real newbie, but when I have anything that I think others may like I will post.  I was talking to some Spanish girls this evening and the TM31 is huge in Spain, as I think we all know.  It could be big here in the UK but we need to spread the word.  My brother lives in Sydney, and he hadn't heard of the TM31, and as this forum started in Aus, we need to spread the word there too.  Come on guys, lets get posting.  I am planning to move to Aus in a few years, and my TMX is definately coming with me, whether I'll take the old man and the kids......................( ;D)

Hi fannyadams - I agree that we need to get more happening.  I have been in holiday mode and have not done any cooking for 2 weeks with my TMX  :(

Karen (aka brazen20au) can tell you how much we have tried to get things moving.  Even giving away a book (hope you found it useful Alina).   ???

One of the big problems relates to the method of sales - by referral.  I knew nothing about it until I went to Spain in 2003.  Because it was not sold thru shops and nobody in Melbourne seemed to know anything I left it.  When I returned to Spain in 2005 I saw it again and friends with me did some research when we got home.  They purchased one after a lot of hassles because they didn't want to have a demo and invite friends.  They just wanted it.  They gave me the name of the local consultant and it wasn't until 15 months later that I finally got one.  Again I had problems because I didn't want to have a demo and invite 3 friends.

As you say, TMX is BIG in Spain (and also Italy) with over 1 million sold (in each country) and magazines devoted to TMX and even TV programs demonstrating the machine.  It is generally viewed by those in the media as elitist to own one. See the Dollarbird in http://www.theage.com.au/news/epicure/the-pecking-order/2008/08/25/1219516323875.html.

Tenina has moved things along since she started with Thermomix in Australia.  There is a monthly competition that more people need to be involved with, but how do you get them motivated?

Karen spreads the word over many forums
oooh which one would that be? lol (taste?) i am a forum w***e  :-[ :-*

Neither Karen nor I have anything to gain financially from the time we spend on the forum, just trying to increase discussion in English.  We tried a Yahoo group and a blog to get activity in Australia.

This forum actually was set up by an Englishman based on a forum in Portugal.  Karen & I just hi-jacked it in September.  :D

I can assure you that I have tried to get things moving and you will see that I generally comment on most threads to encourage the posters. Look forward to getting some more ideas though.

With converting recipes -

At least while I've been collapsed on the sofa I've been reading TM cake recipes and comparing them to traditional to try and suss out how to convert recipes to TM.  Finally got it sussed (how completely is yet to be seen), mainly thanks to the inserts at the back of the Demonstrators Delights book, where different people showed how to convert a recipe.  Must admit I hadn't looked at them before, as they're just photocopies folded and inserted into the back of the book.  The fruit cake was a converted recipe, and has turned out perfectly, so that was a good start.  Something to cheer me up in all my misery, anyway  ;D

The Demonstrators' Delights book may be useful.  I intend to order a copy having read Caroline's review.

Hope you get some members inspired.   :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 03:08:40 am »
Hi fanyadams,
I try to post regularly too, although I haven't contributed much in the way of recipes. ::)
Here in Oz, most people shut down entirely for a couple of weeks over Xmas and everything goes very quiet.  I suspect that is what is causing the current lull, but I'm sure that as people remember that they have to provide meals again - as opposed to the holiday bbq's, eating out and Xmas leftovers - that the forum will become a little more lively!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 04:54:28 am »
I'll just add with regards to sales and demos, yes its all word of mouth and of course if you can do a demo and have 3 people there it means 3 extra possible sales or 3 other people to tell their friends and therefore get the word out !  However if I had someone who just wanted to buy a machine and didnt want to have a demo then of course I would sell the machine no problem.....you just dont get the Thermoserver bowl!! A sale is a sale is a sale! :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 05:25:53 am »
LOL - I finally managed to scrape up 3 people to come to the demo - a couple of months later - and was then asked to pay for the Thermoserver !!!  part of the reason that I have little likelihood of becoming a consultant is my lack of connections.   :(  :'( :'(

Which is why I waste so much time here  ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 06:55:10 am »
I must agree with Thermomixer about the need to invite friends along so it is a type of 'party' sale.  This is what put me off initially as I am not into this sort of stuff at all.  The person who I had been advised to consult re the thermomix wanted at least 3 households represented and I felt a bit awful inviting friends around for a sales pitch.
Baf 65, it is good to know that you are happy to sell without the "party". I think when more people realise this and see the machines operating they will be happy to purchase one.
I hink a lot depends on your consultant too.  Baf65, so you have designated areas for sales or can you sell anywhere?
Thanks for reading my 2cents worth.
Thermomixer and Karen you are doing a great job.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline fannyadams

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 09:44:12 am »
I was out with some Spanish friends last night and the ladies all knew about TMX.  Only one of my UK friends had ever heard of the machine.  I am having another demo, and have possibly 8 people coming, and I plan to have another with a different set of foodie friends.  Mind you with 'the credit crunch', I am not sure how many people will actually want to get a machine right now as they don't come cheap.  What is the TMX bowl, I haven't seen one.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 09:47:00 am »
i wanted to do a follow up party with my initial consultant as i had a friend who wanted to buy one (hi irene!) and i wanted to learn some new recipes. but the consultant insisted there had to be at least 4 people she hadn't met before at the party (at my first party she eventually sold 4 or maybe 5 tmx's, even though it took nearly a year for the last people to buy).

luckily thermomix-er told me about a lovely local demonstrator who i had come and do it instead and guess what, i had 6 or maybe 7 new people there LOL

but as for the forum, it's hard to say. i have been a forum junkie for 10 years now and i can say that i have NOOOOO idea why some forums just have a life of their own, while others can try really really hard but just never get 'there'.

we certainly have no problem getting members here, but getting people to say anythign is a different story (for me it's a fine line between keepign the chat going and posting so much i scare people off  8))

the chat board is a great idea though, has anyone actually asked MM directly? i will do it now just in case the answer is no :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 01:12:51 pm »
I think "What are you cooking ?" became the default chat spot.  It certainly has taken off.

'Twould be good to get a separate chat thread.  chiacchierata as the Italians call it.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 03:06:19 pm »
Good news, we have just opened a new chat area. http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?board=40.0

Enjoy.

Admin and MM

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 08:33:58 pm »
thank you MM!!! ;D
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog