Author Topic: Weight loss Challenge  (Read 496386 times)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Weight loss Challenge
« Reply #1185 on: December 03, 2012, 02:18:49 pm »
Meagan you are indeed to be congratulated. I 'm sure you feel wonderful as well as looking good. :-*

Thanks Cookie  ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: December 05, 2012, 03:03:04 am »
great weight losses here.
Over chrissie, I hope to loose more, as more time to walk, stay home too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: December 30, 2012, 10:13:09 pm »
Has anyone heard of the Trim Down Club?

They state that certain foods don't help and that a balance of the right foods and more importantly right balance of protein/carbs are important. There is a fee to join.£29.00 with a 60 day money back guarantee.

I was just intrigued to read about their five no nos in a sort of spoken flashcard presentation which said these foods  add to fat stores by affecting the metabolism. It was a long presentation.
Fruit juices especially from concentrate, I did know juice is not good, too much sugar in one hit.
Margarine again I knew marg is bad, and use butter. However have used marg in the past.
Wholemeal bread ( surprised at this one)
Soya all or any processed soy especially GM. Don't use this much but is in a lot of bought things, presume in lecithin too?
Corn all or any GM corn including processed flakes, and other corn derivatives. Interesting don't use a lot, some tins or frozen corn, DH eats a lot of cornflakes.

Going to research more, but wondered what anyone knew on here.
Thanks DJ.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: December 30, 2012, 10:32:12 pm »
DJ, I haven't heard of any of that stuff, but I wouldn't buy into it unless I had proof of the presenter's qualifications and solid evidence about what they're saying. I also have three friends who are dieticians, so I would be asking them as well.
In regards to juice, its okay in small amounts. 1 serve is 125ml. Its also very useful for people with diabetes when they have very low blood sugar.
I don't know what they are talking about with wholemeal bread, its low-GI and therefore regulates blood sugar, and is also high in fibre which is essential for bowel health.
I don't know much about soy, but I've heard both good and bad things about it.

I think they're just another fad group and their only aim is making money. But thats just my opinion from what I know about nutrition and dietetics :)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: December 30, 2012, 10:55:17 pm »
Thanks Amy
I wasn't going to buy it, and they do have some interesting articles and recipes on their web site. Just been looking.
Whole grain appears ok, and they are very keen on SWG sprouted wheat grains..... And talk about SWG  wraps etc but no recipes for that.

Unfortunately DH prefers a lot of white in his bread!
I'd ideally like to lose 1/2 stone but DH could do with losing a bit more than that.

Actually I stopped buying juice a while back as the family tended to drink it by the pint, and it was a cut when we lost our income. Not reinstated yet. Tomato juice might be an occasional exception.

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: December 30, 2012, 11:01:15 pm »
I might have a squizz too DJ, just for curiosity's sake ;)
Maybe they work for a SWG company and this is their way of subtely promoting their products ;D

Can you get high-fibre white bread over there? That would be better than just normal white :)
My mum used to make half-white, half-wholemeal loaves back when we took sandwiches to school ;)

1/2 stone isn't much DJ, I think you could do that easily :D Its just about the right balance of food and exercise, and moderation of everything in your diet.

I have never heard of tomato juice :o ;D

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: December 30, 2012, 11:20:01 pm »
Excuse swearing please. Have you heard of a bloody Mary? It's Tomato juice and vodka.
I don't drink but this is a well known drink.

Trouble is  *: makes such yummy things. Have reached a time in my life when hormones changing and have never dieted, ever and now just slowly gaining weight. Lost 3lbs before Xmas just from my rushing about with my job but put back on with yummy Xmas things like spiced nuts and fudge and my Xmas brioche.  I do eat sensibly on the whole, with occasional lapses. Have only had few nuts at a time, or one of my mini brioches instead of cake.
I think the the extreme stress has had an effect too, making me hungrier than before. I do notice that too.

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: December 30, 2012, 11:40:39 pm »
Swearing excused DJ ;D
I have heard of Bloody Marys but didn't know what they were. Now I do! ;D

I know what you mean, Thermie is so quick and easy for whipping up delicious desserts :-)) I'm sure when you get back to work and start rushing around again, you'll lose any weight you have gained. And it sounds like you have a generally healthy diet :D Besides, Christmas only happens once a year so its okay to enjoy the spiced nuts and fudge and brioche ;)
And a lot of people eat to soothe stress. Its one of our body's annoying instincts :P

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: December 31, 2012, 11:18:07 pm »
any one else to loose the weight for sure this year. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #1194 on: January 01, 2013, 12:48:33 am »
I'm going t try and loose some weight while quitting ciggies, but I'm not putting to much pressure on my self for the first few weeks :), but a few walks will help keep my mind busy too :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 01, 2013, 12:53:48 am »
Good luck Mandi, but just focus on the ciggies for now :D I'm sure healthy eating will follow when you start feeling better from quitting. You'll just want to make yourself even healthier! :D

I'm back in the challenge because I've put on weight since being sick. At the moment I'm just swimming but hopefully we'll get a cross trainer and my bike will get fixed ;)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1196 on: January 01, 2013, 01:53:23 am »
I'm joining if that is OK??? Have left it until after Xmas and New Year.  I am inspired by the will power shown and the K.s lost. As I am a list writer, it suits me to count the calories.  The TMX has not helped as I see a recipe and the Challenge is to try and convert it.  Then what do you do with even 1/2 a dish?  Eat it.!!! 
I am working on low fat and low sugar dishes that look good and taste good.  So far,  Strawberry Milk shake,  Quinoa Sushi,  and today Dried Vegetable and Fruit crisps.  Also going to make Cookie's Vienna Loaf into 12 flat buns. ( 65g )
Dede,  all the best,  you are a strong person and can do it.

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 01, 2013, 02:05:07 am »
Of course its okay Chookie ;D
I love the look of the healthy recipes you have posted. I think I will start converting some of my Healthy Food Guide recipes, and I must get out the Cyndi O'Meara Healthy Eating Cookbook again ;)
I am also hoping to convert mum and SD to a healthier way of eating :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 01, 2013, 02:15:58 am »
I will loose 13 kilos this year, and maybe more.
DH thinks i wont do it, so i will ;D ;D ;D

I have a goal, a reason to loose it, and a time frame to loose it by.

Just have to get on the elliptical trainer thing.

Have my goals written down, ready to go ;)

[/url

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 01, 2013, 02:18:58 am »
I have downloaded the I Quit Sugar book by Sarah Wilson, going to look into that as a healthy and possible weight loss idea