Author Topic: Weight loss Challenge  (Read 495697 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Weight loss Challenge
« Reply #795 on: July 30, 2012, 06:38:43 am »
Mandi, how can your BMI be decreasing if your weight isn't?

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #796 on: July 30, 2012, 06:44:47 am »
The fitbit scales I use are telling me my BMI is decreasing, I guess more muscle and less fat
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 30, 2012, 06:45:38 am »
..... BMI doesn't differentiate between fat and muscle. I'm a bit confused ???

jakodai

« Reply #798 on: July 30, 2012, 06:49:51 am »
The scales tell you your body fat percentage, maybe that's what you mean?

I'm going to buy a pair of bathers, the ones that hide the thigh fat, and start taking DS to swimming lessons again. I keep putting it off because I don't want to wear bathers and because I don't know what the deal will be with his ears after he gets the grommets in, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. You can buy head bands to stop the water going in their ears, so maybe I just have to buy one of them.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 30, 2012, 06:51:24 am »

• View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 30, 2012, 06:52:49 am »
You can buy head bands to stop the water going in their ears, so maybe I just have to buy one of them.

The headband sounds like a good idea Amanda. I used to get terrible ear infections from swimming, and I didn't even have the pre-existing problem that your DS has.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 30, 2012, 07:37:32 am »
Mandi, i think you will find body fat % and BMI are two different things. My understanding is that BMI is just a measure of using your weight and heights whereas body fat % is calculated based on the make up in your body. Your BMI will only change if either your height or weight change whereas your body fat % can change with an increase in muscle, water etc in your body.

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 30, 2012, 07:40:29 am »
Spot on Wonder :)
Thats why the BMI is not an accurate scale. It doesn't allow for muscle, fluids, body structure, etc. Just think, bodybuilders are often classed as obese on the BMI, but they are actually very fit people and just have a lot of muscle.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 30, 2012, 07:43:39 am »
Ok thanks for that info Wonder, well my body fat % has changed. But can scales actually work that out? Or am I just reading into something that's not right? Maybe I need some of those fat pinches lol to see if things are changing. I feel like they are, and 2 pair of my trousers are becoming so loose that I have to double over the waist band when I wear them.
I feel healthier and have more energy and my love handles are shrinking :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 30, 2012, 07:56:35 am »
Mandi, body fat % can be a very good indicator or how you are progressing and in some cases much better than focusing on just weight. I don't know about the fitbit scales in particular but many scales these days are able to give you a body fat % reading, I have found in the past that the scales can have quite a high degree of variability though because there are so many variables in the body that can affect the %. I would say to keep a record of the body fat % but don't get to disheartened if it goes up every now again.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 30, 2012, 01:01:50 pm »
Ok thanks for that info Wonder, well my body fat % has changed. But can scales actually work that out? Or am I just reading into something that's not right? Maybe I need some of those fat pinches lol to see if things are changing.

Mandi the sensors that you stand on on the scale send a small electrical current through you body. The current passes through muscle and fat differently, that is how the scale measures body fat. The reading can be influenced by hydration levels in the body. If you are always weigh your self under the same conditions you should get a consistent reading.

The only truly accurate way to determine body fat is a dexa scanning x-ray. This is expensive and difficult to get done. The next best option is basically where you get into a tank filled with water and the amount of water you displaced is measured. Muscle and fat displace the water differently and this is calculated to figure out the muscle to fat ratio.

Pinch tests are only as good as the operator and the equipment. They are very difficult to do to yourself.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 30, 2012, 09:10:38 pm »
I just pictured myself getting in a 44 gallon drum full of water :o
Think I will stick to the scales and measurements :D

stacelee

« Reply #807 on: July 31, 2012, 12:36:08 am »
My scales are going out the window.....I was 80kg on Saturday and yesterday and today the blasted things read 81.5.....not at all happy with them.  I know that it is water weight because I've overdone it with exercise plus did heavy work in a community garden for 4 hours on Sunday...BUT...the blasted things are still weighing heavier!!!!!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 31, 2012, 12:40:56 am »
Stacelee I find I have to weigh myself 3 or more times to get a consistent weight. Usually the first time I get on te scales it tells me I'm around 1.5 kg heavier than what I am (I check on my other scales) then the second and third time seems to be more accurate. Not sure if I like the Aria scales. :(

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 31, 2012, 02:04:11 am »
I just bought a prune fitbit for me and a blue one for dh.. Will be here in a couple of days.. Hope it gets us more motivated..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/