Author Topic: Weight loss Challenge  (Read 496492 times)

jakodai

Re: Weight loss Challenge
« Reply #435 on: July 12, 2012, 05:15:30 am »
Fair enough - I'd like to have an all-round solution, though. I'm shocking at not tracking my weight, and if I could have it all in one place, it would be great. I haven't been able to find anything online about it, so it doesn't look like it. I had a look at the Fitbit iPhone app and at first wasn't all that impressed. It's clean, but it didn't seem to calculate how many calories you should have per day. I've just had another look though, and it does, so I might stick with that app, I think. I want it all to be as simple as possible so there's less chance for excuses!! I think I'm going to buy it on the week-end, if I can get to a Harvey Norman that have them. DS' dad would normally drive me because he stays on Friday night's, but he's being a bit of a jerk at the moment, so I don't want to ask.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #436 on: July 12, 2012, 05:33:35 am »
I don't think your weight does transfer to my fitness pal from what I can see either. I have been only using it for a day so still learning.
I'm really happy with it though :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

jakodai

« Reply #437 on: July 12, 2012, 05:52:21 am »
Well, I'm all set - I rang a Harvey Norman and they're putting the scales and the tracker aside for me, and I'm picking it up on Saturday morning! I'm going to start trying to lose weight on Monday, but because I don't have time to plan & calculate calories the way I normally would I'm going to do a normal meal plan, trying to pick healthy options, and calculate calories as I go. I don't think my meal choices are that bad, it's my portion sizes. And the crap that I eat in between meals. I always have the best intentions, I have lot's of fruit - but the vending machine wins.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 12, 2012, 05:58:01 am »
You will just have to concentrate on doing something else everytime you think of the vending machine. I'm not much of a snacker but I always have a glass of water handy and drink when i think I want something I shouldn't be eating.

jakodai

« Reply #439 on: July 12, 2012, 06:02:45 am »
Where I work, you need to use paypass Credit/Debit cards to use the vending machines, which are our building access / ID cards. I only put $10 on it a few weeks ago, so hopefully there won't be much left on it. It's good if I want a can of coke zero or something, because the cans are only about $1, but if you go to the cafe's down stairs, you pay about $3-4 for a bottle. I always find that once I start eating well, I don't want junk food - it's just the battle of getting to that point that's challenging.

I think the fitbit 'system' is going to do wonders for me. I'm very analytical, and a bit of a data junky, so being able to see all the information readily available, with all the graphs, etc is exciting! lol

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 12, 2012, 06:14:33 am »
Yes I think the fit bit is great. And while wearing the pedometer I find I'm trying to move about more to get my steps up as high as I can which can only be a good thing. :D

Offline Bambi

• View Profile
Re: Re: Weight loss Challenge
« Reply #441 on: July 12, 2012, 07:41:19 am »
My fitbit told me that while I was in bed for 8 hours last night I was woken 18 times  :O that is from bed sharing with a toddler who wants to feed all night!
I have the flu so I'll be back up and exercising in a few days right now I'm laying up in bed resting .

stacelee

« Reply #442 on: July 12, 2012, 08:34:01 am »
Wow, I can't believe the number of people who are now into the fit bits :).  I've had mine for a week today and I am loving it....I am so much more conscious of making myself move, even to taking the long way around to the bathroom at work and purposely going downstairs to talk to people rather than picking up the phone and buzzing them.  I've lost more than a kilo this week so they are obviously helping.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:58 am »
Wow, I can't believe the number of people who are now into the fit bits :).  I've had mine for a week today and I am loving it....I am so much more conscious of making myself move, even to taking the long way around to the bathroom at work and purposely going downstairs to talk to people rather than picking up the phone and buzzing them.  I've lost more than a kilo this week so they are obviously helping.

And before a few days ago I and a few others had never heard of a fitbit :o
And it only took one person to mention it and bang lots of us have got them now lol. Even a friend who lerks on the forum (hi Bell :D ) went out and got both the pedometer and scales yesterday.
Thanks stacelee :)

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 12, 2012, 09:08:40 am »
My fitbit told me that while I was in bed for 8 hours last night I was woken 18 times  :O that is from bed sharing with a toddler who wants to feed all night!
I have the flu so I'll be back up and exercising in a few days right now I'm laying up in bed resting .

Apparently I was awake 7 times last night. I did have a restless night. I think I was conscious that the fitbit was tracking my sleep and it actually made me restless lol.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 12, 2012, 09:09:22 am »
Hi everyone,

Just letting you know that I have just started my Nutrition and Dietetics Assistant course! Hooray! I'm on my way to becoming a qualified health professional :D

stacelee

« Reply #446 on: July 12, 2012, 09:18:26 am »
Congratulations Amy, thats great, I'm sure that you have a great future ahead of you.

My family always tell me that I find them the best toys.  I am a massive technogeek and we have two wireless networks running around the house, two isp's (cos I don't share my work related internet nicely with twits who get me speed limited because they are playing world of warcraft too much....DH and Bratboy), we have media players/boxees/apple tv's on every tv and a media server that currently has about three terabytes of media loaded on it.  I also have a kindle fire, iPad, macbook air, laptop and a psvita, nintendo ds and nintendo 3ds.....my son's friends think that I'm strange.  I prefer to spend money on my toys rather than clothes.....probably because my toys don't get too tight and not fit when I get fat :).

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 12, 2012, 10:31:03 am »
Lol stacelee. I must admit I do love technology too. We don't have as many tech things as you but there are lots of iPods, 2 iPhones, an iPad and a apple Mac computer in this house. And play station 3, Xbox and wii. TVs I all bedrooms and 5 computers between te 7 of us. DH hates technology though. He has a basic mobile, and needs help to turn the computer on lol. :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 12, 2012, 11:42:25 am »
I hope the course leads you to a very interesting job down the track Amy - to a job that would certainly suit you right down to the ground. Well done.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 12, 2012, 12:47:31 pm »
Amy you could do a case study on us,
'The ups and downs of weight loss' ;D