Author Topic: Weight loss Challenge  (Read 496001 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Re: Weight loss Challenge
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2012, 09:38:15 am »
Ok I've decided I might join in too. I would like to lose 15kg's ideally but I'll be realistic and try for 5kg by the end of October when I will be holidaying in Bali.

I'm trying to incorporate more veges in my diet and trying new recipes from Quirky Jo's site.

Now if only someone could suggest some appealing healthy snacks....

Keiramax - You might like to try the busy mum's fitness club https://www.busymumsfitnessclub.com/ which I have restarted again today. It's free to sign up and you choose your level and it tells you what exercise to do each day. There are little videos about 10 minutes each and I find them great to do at home.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52:36 am »
Yay Tasty welcome to the challenge. Ideally I would love to get down to 63kg. That's what I weighed after I had DD 12. But to be any where in the 60 -70kg would make me really happy. :)
I will add you to the list :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline cooking-good-looking

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2012, 12:10:21 pm »
Thanks Mandi and Wonder :D Would you believe me if I said that I feel a lot older than I actually am? :P

LOL Hally I would love to come and visit you in your beautiful house ;D

CGL, I really think we should get together! Its so hard to talk about spinal injuries to someone who hasn't had one, and you sound like you're on the exact same page as me. That feeling of finally being able to walk again after being crippled for so long is just.... well, words can't describe it. Its like magic :)
I'm really glad to hear that you treated youself to such a worthwhile present after your surgery, and I hope you keep getting better and better :-*

I have a thing for peanuts at the moment. I measure out 50g and munch on them of a night time yummy :)

Dede be careful  with nuts they are very energy dense. I love cashews, peanuts and nut butter. Nuts are a very good source of good fat but fat is also very calorie dense. Many people mistakenly believe nuts are a good source of protein, they are not. I think this misconception comes from the old food pyramid which should nuts with meats etc.

Its true that nuts are energy dense Dennis, but 30-60g of raw, unsalted nuts has been proven to have positive effects for weight loss. They are also nutrient dense as well as being energy dense. And almonds in particular are actually a very good source of protein.

:)

Sorry I dont know how to take out only the quote bit that relates to me... Amy the first day that I was able to walk 20 minutes after my operation I took myself to a picturesque place that I used to LOVE walking at. I turned my music up so loud and walked, and cried, and walked and cried. You really do appreciate the function of your body once it has been taken from you. How long ago was your surgery? Do you think that you are back to full function as you were pre-injury? I still get twinges up my spine. Mostly I feel tight above the level I had fused. I am hoping this too passes! :)

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2012, 12:25:17 pm »
CGL and Amy it sounds like you have both been through a lot. And your right it's hard to imagine not being able to walk, and how wonderful it would be to walk again.
I know when I was in plaster for 7 week it was horrible and I just couldn't wait to get that darn plaster off and walk on two feet again. When the plaster came off it was wonderful :) and that is nothing compared to what you girls have been through.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2012, 01:03:44 pm »
Sorry I dont know how to take out only the quote bit that relates to me... Amy the first day that I was able to walk 20 minutes after my operation I took myself to a picturesque place that I used to LOVE walking at. I turned my music up so loud and walked, and cried, and walked and cried. You really do appreciate the function of your body once it has been taken from you. How long ago was your surgery? Do you think that you are back to full function as you were pre-injury? I still get twinges up my spine. Mostly I feel tight above the level I had fused. I am hoping this too passes! :)

CGL I remember the first night I got home after my operation, and I slept in my own bed. Before my operation, I had spent most nights sitting awake in a chair, just dozing if I could, because the pain was so bad I couldn't lie down, and if I tried, I needed help getting back up and the pain was excruciating. But I got home from Perth after my operation and I lay in my own bed with my favourite teddy and I cried. It was one of the best moments of my life, just to not be in pain.
I injured my spine on the 13th of August 2009 and my surgery was on the 11th of May 2010. I remember the day of my surgery very well. I was at the stage of not caring whether I lived or died because the pain was that bad. And then I woke up after the surgery OFF MY FACE on pethidine ;D ;D
I have nerve damage to the nerve that runs down my left leg, so I sometimes get that twinge down there. I have worked hard to strengthen my back, but it aches in cold weather and I get very stiff sometimes. It also aches if I sit for long periods or in hard chairs. 
These are things that I will have to live with, but they are nothing compared to the pain I was in before. The whole experience inspired me to make the most of my body, so in terms of my fitness, I am a lot better than I was pre-injury. So it has positives as well as negatives ;)
I hope your twinges pass, but mine haven't after two years so I'd be very jealous if yours do lol!
Take care CGL :-*

CGL and Amy it sounds like you have both been through a lot. And your right it's hard to imagine not being able to walk, and how wonderful it would be to walk again.
I know when I was in plaster for 7 week it was horrible and I just couldn't wait to get that darn plaster off and walk on two feet again. When the plaster came off it was wonderful :) and that is nothing compared to what you girls have been through.

Mandi, I saw that photo of your hairy legs after the 7 weeks and that looked like a highly traumatic event to me! ;D
In all seriousness though, don't say your injury was nothing because it was something, and it was yours and you had to deal with it. You felt the pain, you were uncomfortable, you had to put up with lugging the horrid plaster around. You did it and you got through it. Be proud of yourself woman! :D :D :D

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2012, 01:37:20 pm »
Amy i believe you when you say you  didnt care   if you  lived or died, i have been there and its not a nice place to be.

i never what to put frank and the kids through  that ever agian.

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2012, 01:51:43 pm »
Uni, I've missed you for a couple of days! Hello my dear friend :-*
I'm so sorry to hear that you've been to that place too, its so horrible and dark and lonely that I would not wish it on anyone :( I hope you have recovered from whatever sent you there.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2012, 05:04:37 pm »
Amy just to nswer your comment re my comment lol.. Alot of french food is fatty ad thy like full fat a la natural but their success with weight is not eating those types of food all the time and when they do in very moderte portions..They dont blieve in depriving themselves however..  Little bit of something bad in the end is good 😁

I wish you all well in your weight loss endeavours... Dh and i are on a strict eating plan and he is losing twice as fast as me grrrrrrr ...but im still losing so i guess its ok

As far as hardships or health problems i believe although difficult it makes you a better person... Ive been in continuous pain for months on end some ten years ago now and not knowing what was wrong at the time then spent 18 mths on meds.. No urgery though nd i think the fear of not knowing and being unable to walk or take care of yourself longterm would e horrible...
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2012, 12:32:02 am »
Amy just to nswer your comment re my comment lol.. Alot of french food is fatty ad thy like full fat a la natural but their success with weight is not eating those types of food all the time and when they do in very moderte portions..They dont blieve in depriving themselves however..  Little bit of something bad in the end is good

Thanks Kim :) I was wondering whether you would see my comment among all the other stuff :-))
It sounds like a very sensible diet that the French follow. Do they really eat snails and frogs legs though? :o

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2012, 02:00:49 am »
Well I'm back on track after the weekend. Talking about french food, we went to a french restaurant and I could have stopped at entree only it was a 3 course deal thingy. Walked out of the place like I was 9 months pregnant even though DD and I hardly touched our mains, and so unconfortable that I found it hard to lie down even. Everyone else felt the same, and we all vowed to lose weight from hereon. Have been having soup and smoothies mainly, taking my vitamins, and had osso bucco last night. Will try and avoid having bad snacks and cut down wine, and having some healthier alternatives on hand. DH has flown out this morning and has had a weight loss bet with the neighbour, and DD has started back into her exercise routine. I hate exercise and want to go down the portion control track, but I spose I will have to do something  :'(
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cooking-good-looking

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2012, 02:03:35 am »

CGL I remember the first night I got home after my operation, and I slept in my own bed. Before my operation, I had spent most nights sitting awake in a chair, just dozing if I could, because the pain was so bad I couldn't lie down, and if I tried, I needed help getting back up and the pain was excruciating. But I got home from Perth after my operation and I lay in my own bed with my favourite teddy and I cried. It was one of the best moments of my life, just to not be in pain.
I injured my spine on the 13th of August 2009 and my surgery was on the 11th of May 2010. I remember the day of my surgery very well. I was at the stage of not caring whether I lived or died because the pain was that bad. And then I woke up after the surgery OFF MY FACE on pethidine ;D ;D
I have nerve damage to the nerve that runs down my left leg, so I sometimes get that twinge down there. I have worked hard to strengthen my back, but it aches in cold weather and I get very stiff sometimes. It also aches if I sit for long periods or in hard chairs. 
These are things that I will have to live with, but they are nothing compared to the pain I was in before. The whole experience inspired me to make the most of my body, so in terms of my fitness, I am a lot better than I was pre-injury. So it has positives as well as negatives ;)
I hope your twinges pass, but mine haven't after two years so I'd be very jealous if yours do lol!
Take care CGL :-*

Mandi, I saw that photo of your hairy legs after the 7 weeks and that looked like a highly traumatic event to me! ;D
In all seriousness though, don't say your injury was nothing because it was something, and it was yours and you had to deal with it. You felt the pain, you were uncomfortable, you had to put up with lugging the horrid plaster around. You did it and you got through it. Be proud of yourself woman! :D :D :D

My pain commenced in Sept of 2009... I had the surgery this year due to misdiagnosis and pregnancy. I only got the diagnosis exactly in Nov 2011. Was a long long time of not knowing what was causing the pain, and a longer time being very debilitated with a new baby. I am so excited to say I am on the other side of that now. I agree the after surgery is so much more manageable than during the injury pain. I feel I lost two of the best years of my life and had the joy of the first baby overshadowed by pain but I agree you really do look at the positives! I am letting go of the anger and bitterness of being stuck inside a body that you don't recognize for over 2 long years! If it wasnt for my little girl, I def would have given up a long time ago. Thanks for sharing :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2012, 02:53:59 am »
I'm seriously considering participating in the Dry July campaign so that might aid in dropping a few kgs. I'm a little undecided as I'm really not sure I have the willpower to survive a full month with no alchol :-\

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2012, 04:50:00 am »
I am being really good the last 2 days and resisiting eating chocolate.

I also did a 12 minute cardio boxing workout at home yesterday and today I can really feel it in my thighs. I hope I stay motivated to keep this up as I also need to get fitter.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2012, 05:00:07 am »
That's great Tasty, do you do the boxing on a Wii?
I have been super good too. No chocolate for almost a week now :o
Tomorrow is my weigh day :)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2012, 05:02:31 am »
Dede - no the boxing is part of a workout video on the busy mum's fitness club website. It's free if you want to check it out.