Author Topic: Weight loss Challenge  (Read 496155 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Weight loss Challenge
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2012, 05:09:05 am »
Thanks Dash and Amy, I have been weighing out 50g and munching on those. It's only a hand full but they last awhile.
I guess like everything in moderation is ok. :D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2012, 05:13:06 am »

Its true that nuts are energy dense Dennis, but 30-60g of raw, unsalted nuts has been proven to have positive effects for weight loss. They are also nutrient dense as well as being energy dense. And almonds in particular are actually a very good source of protein.

:)
[/quote]

Nuts are a great nutrient source Amy. I was just highlighting that due to the energy density it is easy to accidentally eat more calories than you might intend too. I know my wife and I have both been caught out eating nuts and dried fruit thinking of it as healthy snack only to later realise that we were eating as many calories as a glazed doughnut because of the quantity we ate and the amount of energy they contained.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2012, 05:14:44 am »

Even moderation should be taken in moderation.  Every once in a while it is ok to have a little spurge.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2012, 05:17:41 am »

I was 15. I had a spinal injury for 9 months and put on a lot of weight because I couldn't exercise. After my surgery, I was so depressed and miserable with myself and my body that I had to do something. Especially being 15, surrounded by skinny girls wearing make-up and pretty clothes and having fun. I was just a fat, miserable blob :'(
So I started exercising, I started saying "no" to the second slices of cake, and I made myself eat vegetables. Lots of vegetables ;)

So I've lost over 20kg now, and I still can't believe it :o

It is great to hear stories of people, especially young people, taking the initiative that you have and not wallowing in self pity.

What type of exercising do you do?

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2012, 05:23:49 am »
With the nuts I am using a calorie counter app and only having some as a snack of a night when I know I still have enough calories left in my allowance to have some. Do you think that is ok? I really do love peanuts :)
Maybe I should only have some once or twice a week?

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2012, 05:33:36 am »
Thanks Dash and Amy, I have been weighing out 50g and munching on those. It's only a hand full but they last awhile.

Even chocolate :D :D :D

I was 15. I had a spinal injury for 9 months and put on a lot of weight because I couldn't exercise. After my surgery, I was so depressed and miserable with myself and my body that I had to do something. Especially being 15, surrounded by skinny girls wearing make-up and pretty clothes and having fun. I was just a fat, miserable blob :'(
So I started exercising, I started saying "no" to the second slices of cake, and I made myself eat vegetables. Lots of vegetables ;)

So I've lost over 20kg now, and I still can't believe it :o

It is great to hear stories of people, especially young people, taking the initiative that you have and not wallowing in self pity.

What type of exercising do you do?

Thanks Dennis :) I can honestly and proudly say that I have never been a wallower in self-pity. Life throws you crap sometimes and you just have to deal with it :-))

I love all types of exercise. I think it comes from being unable to do anything for so long, not even walk on some days, that I found a new appreciation for what the human body can do. Now I walk, run, do weights training, use the cardio machines at the gym, do gym classes or make up my own circuits. I love interval and agility training. When the weather gets warmer I'd like to get back into swimming as well ;D

With the nuts I am using a calorie counter app and only having some as a snack of a night when I know I still have enough calories left in my allowance to have some. Do you think that is ok? I really do love peanuts :)

Mandi, even though nuts are energy dense they are really good for you. Keep eating them, but maybe reduce it a little bit to 30g instead of 50g. Every day is fine as long as you watch the portion size ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2012, 05:57:31 am »
Mandi, would you feel better if I told you that I eat nuts every day, and have done all through my weight loss? I even had a few binges on pistachios and I still lost weight :-))

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2012, 06:15:38 am »
Oh I'm glad to hear that Amy. I don't want 1 thing that I eat to be the thing that stops me loosing the weight :)
Will reduce to 30g snack thanks :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2012, 06:25:57 am »
Amy, no wonder you feel older than your years! You certainly seem to have had an interesting life so far and the more you share the more interested I am to hear, you also have a fantastic attitude for someone so young. I'm sure you will be a success at whatever you put your mind to.

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2012, 07:33:27 am »
Oh I'm glad to hear that Amy. I don't want 1 thing that I eat to be the thing that stops me loosing the weight :)

Its easy to become scared of foods when you read some of the stuff in magazines or hear about all these supposed "miracle" diets. I know a lady who is so sucked into one of these diets that she won't eat carrots because she says there is too much sugar in them :-))

I think one of the most important things to remember is that you are in control. You decide what you eat, when you eat it and how much of it you eat. You have the power over the food, not the other way around. I'll confess that once I actually bought a chocolate bar, smashed it up, ran water all over it and then threw it in the bin just to prove to myself that I had control ;)

Amy, no wonder you feel older than your years! You certainly seem to have had an interesting life so far and the more you share the more interested I am to hear, you also have a fantastic attitude for someone so young. I'm sure you will be a success at whatever you put your mind to.

Thanks Wonder :D People often say to me, "you have your whole life ahead of you." And I often feel like saying, "so what do you call everything I've done so far?" :-))
You're probably right when you say that I've had an interesting life Wonder. I don't talk about it much because I know that people my age get criticised a lot for being so focused on themselves. I've mentioned things to people in the past and they either say something to make it seem like a competition or they tell me what I should have done :(
I just remind myself that I've only ever done my best with the knowledge and resources I had at the time :)

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2012, 07:56:17 am »

What you are doing sounds fine Dede.  I only meant to highlight the trap that I fell into thinking I was having a healthy snack but under estimating the amount of calories I was eating.  If you are weighing the nuts and subtracting the calories from your daily allowance then you shouldn't go wrong.

When DW and I started counting our calories using myfitnesspal we were both gobsmacked at the caloric value of some foods.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2012, 08:15:36 am »
Yes I know what you mean. Last night I had 2 lamb chops and was supposed at the calories and fat content :o even though they were little and I cut off the fat. To count calories is a good exersize just to educate myself how many calories in different things.

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2012, 08:19:42 am »
Hi Dede, would love to join in.  My motivation is to get fitter, so want to focus on exercise rather than diet, but I'm sure the weight will come off when I start moving more.  I'm back at my pre-pregnancy weight but now want to lose the extra 10kgs that have crepted on over the years.  

I'm still breastfeeding so don't want to restrict my calorie intake, however I'm sure chocolate cake at 2am is not good for weight loss.

Ideas for exercise at home would be welcomed.  I have 2 kids nearly 2 year old and 8 months, so I'm restricted to what I can do.  Very hard to go walking at home as there are no footpaths in my area and don't want to walk on the road with 2 little ones.  I really want to focus on getting rid of the post baby jelly belly.

Thanks guys.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2012, 08:53:10 am »
Keriamax we would love for you to join in. If this thread helps us get healthier and loose some extra weight then we couldn't ask for anything better :)

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2012, 09:04:12 am »
Wow there are 11 of us now joined in on the challenge :D

Dede
Stacelee
Cream Puff
Cooking-good-looking
Tan
Jeninwa
Cookie1
Mcmich
Dashingden
Keriamax
Tasty

No rules, follow what ever plan you want to follow that works for you.
Keep us updated on your progress even if not positive so we can help each other out :)