Author Topic: Weight loss Challenge  (Read 496042 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Weight loss Challenge
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2012, 02:39:11 pm »
Funnily enough Amy I thought you were young perhaps 3-4 weeks ago when you mentioned something along the lines you were starving. I felt it in my waters then. If you live in Perth or whatever, I would love to have you over for morning/arvo tea on the weekend and perhaps dinner on a week night if you wanted. It would be a pleasure  :D Even if you lived in the country, I would be happy for you to come and stay the weekend (now that a couple of little birdies have flown the nest) and we can have a cook up.

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2012, 06:27:27 pm »
Amy i hope my kids are as well adjusted as you when they grow up.. Still babies for the moment...your family must be proud :)

Re diets i dislike them... Lol

The french way of eating works which is pretty much what jd mentioned... Breakfast thy say healthy bread with either butter, jam etc.. Yes your allowed and pref whole fruit as it takes more to digest plus the fibre and a yoghurt

Lunch is generlly free range within reason ie a meat starch and vegies

Dinner is the key ie mainly veg, never starch of any kind and maybe twice a week chicken or fish but limit it

However not to deprive yourself.. If you want something have it but limit the portion...

Oh and never mix starches ie if you have potato in a dish then no pasa o rice or bread with it

Oh and every meal portion size and drink lots of water.. I followed this after my son was born and lost 18 kgs very easily doing no extra exercise oth than general running around doing errands etc...

Am now on a similar healthy eating plan so will see how i go... However have cut alot of sugar out, practically all in support of dh...doing it in my own time though with everything going on..

Ps i dont succeed all the time with the french way of eting actually not at all unless i put my mind to it as thry make dishes look so pretty and taste divine that i have no hope... 😁
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2012, 09:18:15 pm »
Count me in, if you are willing to have me.  I know that my weight is just on the cusp of healthy for my age and height. my desire to lose weight is purely vanity. That and as an endurance athlete the lighter I am the faster I go.

I used to weigh about 95kgs and lost a little over 25kgs. Over the last 12 months my eating has degenerated back toward my old habits and I have gained about 7-8 kg. I have manged to lose 5 kg then fell of the wagon again and put 3 kgs back on.

I struggle with sugar. I have a serious addiction to it. Also I love good food generally and I am not good at having only a little.

Dennis

Oh and by the way. Amy you are a very well adjusted teenager and give hope for the future.

Yes Dash we definitely will add you on the list.
You certainly have lost a lot of weight too :o well done.
We have a good list of people now on the challenge :D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

stacelee

« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2012, 11:54:34 pm »
Watch who you are calling an old farts ;p....I'm a middle aged fart!

Amy you are welcome here.  It's great to see someone of your age cooking.  My teenagers think the magic brownies in the kitchen buy and make the food (most of the time...they do occasionally cook)

stacelee

« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2012, 12:00:43 am »
Dash,

I don't know if this would help with the sugar but I find it helps me to have beef jerky sitting around that if I'm really craving something I go and grab some to gnaw on.  I also portion up home made dried apple into approximately one apple packs.  It takes me longer to eat than a normal apple and tastes sweeter, I also do it with kiwi fruit. My other standby are the flavored teas from t2, the choc chip chai and oolong choc chai are my saviours when I need chocolate.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2012, 12:13:13 am »
I have a thing for peanuts at the moment. I measure out 50g and munch on them of a night time yummy :)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2012, 12:35:22 am »
Funnily enough Amy I thought you were young perhaps 3-4 weeks ago when you mentioned something along the lines you were starving. I felt it in my waters then. If you live in Perth or whatever, I would love to have you over for morning/arvo tea on the weekend and perhaps dinner on a week night if you wanted. It would be a pleasure  :D Even if you lived in the country, I would be happy for you to come and stay the weekend (now that a couple of little birdies have flown the nest) and we can have a cook up.

Is that what they call mother's intuition CP? ;)
You'd really be happy for me to stay a weekend with you? :o

Thanks Kim :)
I was surprised to read how healthy the French diet is. For some reason I thought it was generally quite a fatty diet :P

It's great to see someone of your age cooking.  My teenagers think the magic brownies in the kitchen buy and make the food (most of the time...they do occasionally cook)

LOL a lot of teenagers seem to think there's some food fairy or something that makes food appear in the pantry :-)) Food is unlikely to appear in our pantry unless I make it or write it on the shopping list. But thats good because it means I choose and make healthy things. I've done a lot of research on nutrition and I have a couple of friends who are dietitians, so I like to think I've got a good handle on how to create a balanced diet for my family ;)

Dash, have you tried chewing sugarfree gum? Its gives you the sweet taste without the calories ;D

I have a thing for peanuts at the moment. I measure out 50g and munch on them of a night time yummy :)

Peanuts are a good source of several B group vitamins and vitamin E ;) And they're yummy! :D

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2012, 01:02:52 am »
Glad to hear that Amy, thought you was going to say DON'T EAT PEANUTS cause you will explode :D or something similar.
Now Amy you said you have lost quiet a bit of weight, how old was you when you decided to change your life style of eating?

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2012, 01:08:25 am »
Glad to hear that Amy, thought you was going to say DON'T EAT PEANUTS cause you will explode :D or something similar.
Now Amy you said you have lost quiet a bit of weight, how old was you when you decided to change your life style of eating?

I would never say that Mandi :D If you said you were eating chocolate, I would say "go ahead, have a little bit because it releases endorphins in the brain which make you feel good". There are positives about every food, its just about balancing them right ;) ;)

I was 15. I had a spinal injury for 9 months and put on a lot of weight because I couldn't exercise. After my surgery, I was so depressed and miserable with myself and my body that I had to do something. Especially being 15, surrounded by skinny girls wearing make-up and pretty clothes and having fun. I was just a fat, miserable blob :'(
So I started exercising, I started saying "no" to the second slices of cake, and I made myself eat vegetables. Lots of vegetables ;)

So I've lost over 20kg now, and I still can't believe it :o

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2012, 01:47:54 am »
That is an amazing effort for someone so young. Well done Amy is all I can say. You might be only young but you have a lot of life experiences already under your belt :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2012, 01:49:11 am »
Thats amazing Amy, well done for recognizing what needed to be one and getting out and doing it. You sound like you have quite a number of inspiring stories, we could al probably learn a thing or two from you.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2012, 03:15:11 am »
Amy, you can come & visit us,we take children up to 18, LOL

:)

Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cooking-good-looking

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2012, 03:30:45 am »

I would never say that Mandi :D If you said you were eating chocolate, I would say "go ahead, have a little bit because it releases endorphins in the brain which make you feel good". There are positives about every food, its just about balancing them right ;) ;)

I was 15. I had a spinal injury for 9 months and put on a lot of weight because I couldn't exercise. After my surgery, I was so depressed and miserable with myself and my body that I had to do something. Especially being 15, surrounded by skinny girls wearing make-up and pretty clothes and having fun. I was just a fat, miserable blob :'(
So I started exercising, I started saying "no" to the second slices of cake, and I made myself eat vegetables. Lots of vegetables ;)

So I've lost over 20kg now, and I still can't believe it :o

Hi Amy,
I just have to comment on this as I am in exactly the same position- I had a spinal injury too- follwed by spinal fusion of l5 S1. I am now 4 months or so post-op and LOVING being able to walk for longer distances again and swim swim swim! Swimming my new addiction. I am about 10kgs heavier than what I want to be as a result of having a baby, a horrible back and then surgery! My Thermie was actually my post surgery present to myself! :) Loving life now- hope that your experience is a positive one too with your surgery.
CGL

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2012, 04:32:36 am »

Dede be careful  with nuts they are very energy dense. I love cashews, peanuts and nut butter. Nuts are a very good source of good fat but fat is also very calorie dense. Many people mistakenly believe nuts are a good source of protein, they are not. I think this misconception comes from the old food pyramid which should nuts with meats etc.

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2012, 04:44:43 am »
Thanks Mandi and Wonder :D Would you believe me if I said that I feel a lot older than I actually am? :P

LOL Hally I would love to come and visit you in your beautiful house ;D

CGL, I really think we should get together! Its so hard to talk about spinal injuries to someone who hasn't had one, and you sound like you're on the exact same page as me. That feeling of finally being able to walk again after being crippled for so long is just.... well, words can't describe it. Its like magic :)
I'm really glad to hear that you treated youself to such a worthwhile present after your surgery, and I hope you keep getting better and better :-*

Dede be careful  with nuts they are very energy dense. I love cashews, peanuts and nut butter. Nuts are a very good source of good fat but fat is also very calorie dense. Many people mistakenly believe nuts are a good source of protein, they are not. I think this misconception comes from the old food pyramid which should nuts with meats etc.

Its true that nuts are energy dense Dennis, but 30-60g of raw, unsalted nuts has been proven to have positive effects for weight loss. They are also nutrient dense as well as being energy dense. And almonds in particular are actually a very good source of protein.

:)