Author Topic: Chicken Stock Concentrate  (Read 36169 times)

jakodai

Re: Chicken Stock Concentrate
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 07:07:01 am »
Judy, sorry I'm having a bit of 'blonde' day and I couldn't really follow your post, can you please clarify which one you preferred...?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 07:50:28 am »
 ;D ;D I knew what I meant jakodai, sorry I have now made it clearer on my last posting.  Tenina's is my favourite.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

jakodai

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 08:28:32 am »
That's OK, Judy - I'm much the same. My brain is normally going a million miles an hour, and my fingers struggle to catch up. Thank you for clarifying... :-)

Offline HARPER

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 12:58:54 am »
Is there a recipe for that on here somewhere?
My little Additive free cooking chatting page
http://www.facebook.com/groups/217330085044312/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 01:12:46 am »
No unfortunately Harper but check out Tenina's book here.
Mothers' Day is coming up, perhaps you can put it on your wish list ;)  It is a great book, a must have for Thermomix owners.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
Re: Re: Chicken Stock Concentrate
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 03:04:06 am »
Hey JD, an just about to make the dry powder from FFS. She doesn't mention whether I take the meat off and just dry out the carcass and the skin ( plus vege) but she later says take as much flesh from the carcass... As in the bits that are left, or do I add the whole carcass with flesh and remove skin...?

I'll add my Veges now too? Confused. :)
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 03:11:23 am »
I just break up a roasted chicken carcass after having kept the skin for the stock powder and taking off most of the meat Lilli. You place the vegies in and around the carcass and skin - try not to pile them up too much, the flatter the better.  I keep an eye on things and remove anything that is completely dry and isn't getting too burnt.  The onion will brown and dry up first so remove anything from the tray as you find they are dry enough otherwise things will burn and the end product will taste burnt and not be a success.  I find there isn't any meat to speak of to remove from the carcass at the end but if you've left meat on it, remove that and blitz it when the recipe says. DO NOT mince the bones.  I keep mine in the freezer.  Hope this helps.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 03:18:30 am »
Ok. So I do remove 'most' of the meat.
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 03:23:08 am »
Thanks JD. Will remove Veges as I go. Not sure what I do with the carcass. Is the chicken flav from the skin and residual meat?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 10:01:48 am »
Lilli, my carcass is usually one from a chicken I have either roasted or steamed myself and I tend to remove all the meat for us to eat. Why the carcass is roasted is not that clear to me - last time I didn't even bother looking for any meat on it but I suppose if you do leave a bit on it for this purpose, it is mainly the meat and skin plus the flavour of the roasted, dried vegies and other additions which give it the lovely flavour.  My second batch was better than my first - I think it takes a while to work this method out and it is quite time consuming, maybe a couple of hours to dry everything out so you are continually opening the oven door to check that things aren't burning.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 04:08:54 am »
Thanks JD. I bought a small roast chook yest for $5.95 or something. Took off loosely the meat, so there was still a bit there on purpose and I dried out a little extra. Once I had the skin onion and whatever other stuff was dry. I minced it all and put it back in. This helped speed it up as it was all small and the same iykwim. Turned out great. Looks like bought stuff but I know exactly what's there.

The juice from the bottom of the bag I even reduced in the oven then poured it over the shredded vege to dry out on them. ended up with 415 gms. Must have dried less vege than you JD but that's heaps!!! I was wrapped!