Author Topic: Yellow Fragrant Rice - A Taste of Vegetarian  (Read 4027 times)

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
Yellow Fragrant Rice - A Taste of Vegetarian
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:40:59 am »
Has anyone else tried the Yellow Fragrant Rice recipe from A Taste of Vegetarian (page 42 in my copy)?

I made it tonight as a side dish and it was terrible, in fact no-one in the family could eat it.

I did use basmati rice instead of jasmine and only used 200g instead of 330g but there seemed to be something majorly wrong with the flavours here, in fact I still have a horrible taste in my mouth a couple of hours later.  I feel like there was way too much cumin and/or turmeric even though I put in the quantities that were listed in the book.

If anyone else has had a similar experience with this dish I'd be interested to know!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Fragrant Rice - A Taste of Vegetarian
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 09:49:03 am »
hmm not sure what would have been wrong, except that Jasmine rice does have a distinct flavour that Basmati doesn't ... not sure if that would have changed anything.  ??? ???

What version is your book asha? Looking at my book I would have thought the quantities were ok  :-\ :-\
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
Re: Yellow Fragrant Rice - A Taste of Vegetarian
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 09:59:26 am »
At first I wondered if it was because I swapped jasmine for basmati but I really don't think that was the problem, as it seemed to be the taste of the other ingredients that was so off-putting.

I have the March 2011 version of the book.  That one uses 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 2 tablespoons turmeric.  At the time I wondered if it was too much turmeric but thought I would see what happened as I knew it was also going to colour the rice.