Author Topic: Annabell Longbein's Christmas cake.  (Read 3596 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Annabell Longbein's Christmas cake.
« on: December 20, 2011, 02:09:13 am »

Annabel’s Christmas Cake

Prep time:
    20 mins
Cook time:
    1½-3 hours
Makes:
    1 large or 4 small cakes

300g dried pitted dates, chopped, divided
    250ml water
    2 tbsp golden syrup
    ½ tsp baking soda
    300g glace red cherries
    160g dried papaya or mango chunks
    160g dried pineapple rounds, quartered
    160g dried figs, quartered
    125g dried cranberries
    125ml whiskey
    150g brazil nuts
    230g whole almonds
    3 eggs
    220g brown sugar
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    1 tsp almond essence
    200g high grade flour, sifted
    ½ tsp baking powder
    1 tbsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ground cloves
    ¼ tsp salt

Place dates in a pot with water, golden syrup and baking soda. Bring to a simmer. Cook until dates are mushy and liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. While dates cool place all other dried fruits in a microwave bowl with whiskey. Cover and cook on 50% power for 10 minutes. Stir well and mix in the nuts.

Preheat oven to 130°C. Line tins with baking paper (I use recycled 450g tuna cans for small cakes). In a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs, brown sugar and essences to combine. Stir in date and fruit mixture. Add flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Stir until evenly combined (there is very little batter).

Spoon mixture (which will be very thick) into prepared tin/tins, pressing firmly with the back of the spoon. Bake until top of cake feels firm; 1½ hours for small cakes and about 2½-3 hours for one very large cake. Stand for 10 minutes, then turn out and brush with a little extra whiskey or brandy while hot. Wrap a clean cloth around the cake to prevent it drying out before storing in an airtight container. Cut with a hot knife.

I used the TMX when I could, chopped dates then added water , golden syrup and baking soda and cooked 5mins/100/ speed 1.
Added all dried fruits and whiskey ,cooked 5 mins./100/ soft speed.
Then rest in large bowl and mixed by hand.
Didn't like the result when cooked,  put it in the fridge for a week and then when I tasted it,  it was lovely.  Tastes of fruit , nuts and grog.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:21:49 am by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Annabell Longbein's Christmas cake.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:47:00 am »
..............tastes of fruit, nuts and grog.

Chookie that is my kind of cake. I will make this after Christmas to use up all the bits of dried fruit I have. Thanks. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/