Author Topic: macarons  (Read 38028 times)

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
Re: macarons
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2012, 10:38:59 am »
You make me laugh out loud!! Ok I am going to treat these buggers as a trial run and start early tomorrow morning ...thanks Gert!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2012, 10:41:39 am »
They will still be delish. Doesn't matter it they are not perfect with legs or feet or whatever.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2012, 10:42:24 am »
One more question...how do you know when the skin has formed and it is ready to pop into oven?

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2012, 10:46:24 am »
I am certainly no expert but they look sort of shiny and hard. Just walk away for an hour or so. No hurry. Go shopping.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2012, 10:53:45 am »
Prefer a glass of scotch!!!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2012, 10:55:53 am »
I'll join you.

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2012, 11:05:32 am »
They no longer feel sticky.

Gretchen what a beautiful set. I have bits from Mum. It is the same except it's name is 'sunshine' and it has the number 4030 on it. I have 5 bread and butter plates, a sandwich serving plate and a tiered plate like they use for cupcakes now.  She always served home made scones on it, with home made jam and cream from the cow.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2012, 11:11:12 am »
They no longer feel sticky.

Gretchen what a beautiful set. I have bits from Mum. It is the same except it's name is 'sunshine' and it has the number 4030 on it. I have 5 bread and butter plates, a sandwich serving plate and a tiered plate like they use for cupcakes now.  She always served home made scones on it, with home made jam and cream from the cow.

Ok cookie you are number two if emeraldsue does not want them. Only fair.  I don't want to take them to the Sallies and I do not want to leave them for the kids to toss.

They are a bit yellow inside and very crazed but so beautiful and so old.

Do you have a pic of them?

Gert

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2012, 01:44:49 pm »
Gert,

I really love my grandmother's plate, and I would love to have your set. Thankyou so much for the offer. Are you really sure that you want to part with them? It is such a lovely pattern. My grandma loved cooking and was always baking. I think I got my love of baking from her as my mother doesn't enjoy it at all. She gave me all of her cake decorating equipment, this plate and some tea cups from Japan in lovely colours.

Couton, don't stress too much about piping the Macarons or how long to leave them before baking. You can always google "Macaron piping help"  if you want to see someone else do it. I just use the disposable piping (icing) bags from the supermarket with my plain (ie. round) nozzle with a hole in the end about 1 cm wide. Don't forget to use one hand to squeeze the bag gently and use the other hand to guide the nozzle end. Piping is all about squeezing and releasing. I stand directly above where I want to pipe the macaron and hold the piping bag directly over the top of the template ie without much of an angle. Just do what feels comfortable for you.
You can see from my previous post that I had a really bad day making my Macarons, but they were still edible. Kids care more about how they taste than how they look.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2012, 01:52:34 pm »
Thank you for your lovely words but the macarons were an unmitigated disaster...I cooked and cooked and it still did not come off the baking paper.  I finally gave up and binned it. The nozzle has to be a round hole about 1 cm? I may have to go to shops to find one. All mine have tiny holes or flat thin 1 cm length holes.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2012, 02:29:48 pm »
This is a photo on my nozzle that I bought from a cooking shop.

If you couldn't get them off the baking sheet, that suggests that they aren't cooked enough. I have successfully made them many times before I had my TC using Nigella Lawson's recipes. She cooks them at 180C, so you could try increasing the temperature and see if that helps.

I hope you didn't really bin them. They would have tasted yummy smashed up over ice cream or in a trifle.

Good luck tomorrow
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2012, 11:00:52 pm »
Emerald Sue. I am happy to send my jugs to you. Will PM you to get your address.

Sorry cookie1 that I didn't have more of these.

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2012, 11:13:18 pm »
You're a legend Gertie.  Once again this shows the generosity of our forum members.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2012, 05:27:24 am »
I would hate for them to be binned Gert. They will have a loving home.
I'll try to put a photo of mine up. Off to Melbourne tomorrow. DD is going to a conference and I am catching up with my cousin and nephew. The latter is going to Romania to live for a while. My cousin and I can talk for days, so it will be fun.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2012, 06:10:08 am »
Wow,Romania, that will be interesting. Have a great time chatting.

Gert