Author Topic: Chooks :)  (Read 28423 times)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Chooks :)
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:52:05 am »
I would love to get some Chooks (as pets for the children but also to produce  eggs) but we have a small amount of outdoor space with garden but no grass! Does anyone have Chooks in a small space and if so how do you manage them? Would love to hear about people's chook experiences. Type of chook house set up etc.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chooks :)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 06:45:32 am »
That will be lovely for all of you Meagan. I believe you can get mobile chook houses that are up off the ground and you can move them round. I don't suppose you want the garden dug up.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:53:23 am »
That will be lovely for all of you Meagan. I believe you can get mobile chook houses that are up off the ground and you can move them round. I don't suppose you want the garden dug up.

Well I am happy for them to free range in part of the garden during the day. I have been googling a lot - there are so many different coops you can get.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:23:26 am »
The ABC's Organic Gardening magazine has run a couple of articles recently on different chook breeds that may be interesting.  Then again, we have our own Chookwoman who will, I am sure, have loads of words of wisdom and suggestions for you, although I think her chook run is on a larger scale than you are anticipating.

I think it's a great idea to have your own hens and I am envious - we have the chook house in our back yard but no chooks yet - one day we will get some, when we are more settled.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline disgruntleddog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 07:52:12 am »
We've got Pekin Bantams. A great little chicken that produce half size eggs. They are docile and suitable for small spaces. They deal with humans pretty well and we've got a number that we can just pick up. They are also stunning.

I'd recommend getting a rooster as well. They really help with flock dynamics and are really fun to watch. Plus they are gorgeous. You just need to put them in a box at night so they don't annoy the neighbours.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 08:00:14 am »
Oh, they're just gorgeous DD!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:42:26 am »
They are beautiful. I miss having chooks after growing up with them.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:21:34 am »
According to the council you can't have a rooster in our area. You also have to have a huge coop etc etc. To be honest if everyone who had chooks adhered to the rules I don't think many of them would actually have them in the first place  :-)) I know the neighbors 3 doors down had them ( not sure of they still do ) and they had them right up against the fence which is ' a no no ' as far as the council is concerned.

I do want a portable set up so if we move in the future then we can take it with us. I will come back in a tick and add a link to different coops I found ;)

Here it is lol Cluck Med made me laugh
http://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:23:20 am by Meagan »

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 09:24:34 am »
Beautiful chooks DD. have you had them long? What happens when they stop laying?? I don't like the idea of having to get rid of them  :-\

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 09:42:26 am »
you had better get them the mansion Meagan lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 10:04:06 am »
Meagan we had 4 chooks in a unit in East Freo may years ago. They used to free range around the courtyard and even along the front fence. It could be quite amusing sometimes as people would suddenly stop and back up when the realised the chicken was real and not a statue.

I keep Austalorps and Langshans at the moment They are both quite docile and good layers. I have also kept Isa Browns and Plymouth Rocks but prefer the Australorps and Langshans. The kids also used to have a couple of Silky Bantams. They were lovely to look at but not great layers.

Most chooks will lay for about 4 years.  After that you have 2 choices either let them live out a happy retirement or dispatch them.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 05:00:32 am »
Meagan you will have to get them the pent house.

Offline disgruntleddog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 06:23:41 am »
Beautiful chooks DD. have you had them long? What happens when they stop laying?? I don't like the idea of having to get rid of them  :-\

We've had chooks for about 6 years. We accept that they aren't productive when they get old. Still kind of fun to have so we allow them to retire with dignity. When they get to old to be chickens I put them down. Same with most of the roosters. Not my favourate job but one that has to be done.

I'd ignore the council regs. Give your neighbours a dozen eggs and put the roosters in a box inside overnight and they won't/can't crow. You won't have any complaints.

Breeding chickens is easy. We just let them sit on some eggs and have had a couple of lots of baby chicks every year. The mother hens know what to do. Baby chickens are so cute.

I'll take a couple of photos tomorrow of the two batches of chicks we have right now.

Offline disgruntleddog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 06:27:04 am »
I'm going to build a proper chook run and shelter in the new year. We'll be getting some Faverolle chickens. A heritage breed that is both good layers and meat birds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faverolles_(chicken)

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 06:37:28 am »
We used to have 2 chooks in a small suburban backyard.  They would run up to the back door when they heard us and would take vegemite toast out of the kids hands when they ate breakfast outside, or from plates of unsuspecting guests.  They scratched up most of the lawn but I didn't care.  I fenced off the patio so we could sit out in a manure free zone.  Me and the kids adored them but eventually they were taken by a fox.  We were slack at keeping them locked up at night because we didn't know there were foxes around.  Grumpy husband won't let us get more, he prefers his lawn rather than fresh eggs and delightful chook chatter.   If I got more I'd get some ex-battery hens to give them a nice life.