Author Topic: Egg Custard  (Read 30427 times)

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
Egg Custard
« on: March 10, 2009, 02:56:14 am »
Hoping someone can help!  Trying to make a custard that just uses eggs. Last one that I tried was 1 litre of milk [2%]  4 eggs  2tblsp of sugar & vanilla. Cooked it for 12 min on 90 and on 4 and it tasted great but it looked liked it had curdled. So have I done something wrong or is that just the way that it goes??? Or doesn`t it work unless you put some flour in it.  Thanks Sandy

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Egg Custard
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 03:32:38 am »
Have you tried the Creme Anglaise recipe in the new Australian Everyday book?

500g full cream milk
6 egg yolks
100 gm sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
7 minutes @ 80C on speed 4 or until thickened, then blend for 20 seconds on 8 without heat.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:42:19 pm »
I've made the 6 egg yolk one, and it was delicious - but ... it uses 6 EGG YOLKS!!!!  That's a LOT of eggs.  And then I have to figure out how to use up 6 egg whites.

So I too would love to have an alternative custard recipe - ideally that uses fewer eggs, and preferably the whole egg.

At the moment my family are on a custard ban, as I'm unwilling to use 6 eggs when our hens aren't up to laying speed due to winter.  And my family (of 3) already get through 18 eggs a week, without 6 a pop for custard.  I shudder to think what any nutritionist bods would say to me!  :-[

But we love custard, so if any nice, caring person could see there way to providing us with a reduced egg but still yummy custard, you will be voted Custard Hero of the Year in our house  ;D
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:56:09 am »
custard powder?  ;D :D
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline pammo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:51:09 am »
Or maybe maize flour (ie. true corn flour) if you are trying to avoid wheat?
cheers

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:54:02 pm »
The recipe we have here in Spain is called 'Natillas' which is a custard dessert, but poured into small bowls and a plain Marie biscuit on top, served chilled. Very popular with children and DH!!! But obviously can be served as hot custard too!

The recipe we use here is either 6 yolks(if you have them left over from a meringue or something) if not 3 whole eggs. All ingredients thrown in together.

3 whole eggs
130g sugar
vanilla sugar sachet (if you don't get that there, just add bit of vanilla extract)
600g milk
1 teaspoon corn flour
(I also add a bit of liquid caramel so it's more yellowy!) ;)

Throw all the ingredients in, 8 mins, 90º, speed 4, half way through cooking time take off MC (this stops it curding, I think!) By allowing more air to circulate in THX. Chill for at least 2 hours.

However there is a tip, if it does curdle or separate, just add half MC of cold milk and 30 seconds speed 4.

Mine has never curdled. Great everyday dessert in my house. Nothing special......but kids love them. Try them cold and see what you think, can also be sprinkled with cinnamon instead of biscuit on top. 

This one in the photo has brown sugar, 3 whole eggs and some vanilla bean extract. Its delicious cold!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:15:16 am by bron »
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 06:41:21 am »
I just invented drinking custard!! Well, there is such a thing called drinking yoghurt so why can't we have drinking custard. I was trying to adapt my recipe for French custard in the TM as it is a 'to die for' dessert but at first attempt in my 'test kitchen' nothing worked.  You make the custard with just whole milk, 3 egg yolks and a little bit of cornflour and plain flour, let it cool then whisk in some beaten cream and lastly fold in 2 egg whites which have been stiffly beaten with some castor sugar.  Even the first step of making the custard wasn't right, it was too runny right from the start. The egg whites wouldn't beat (how people make meringues is a mystery to me) so I gave up and just mixed the lot together and will drink it.  My next try will be just to fold in some beaten cream to the everyday recipe for custard and see how that tastes.
A test kitchen whizz I am not!! Can't say I am not trying though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:14:52 am »
Well done Judydawn. I have made lots of 'drinking yoghurt'. If you don't try you don't discover.  You could always add gelatine and have custard jelly. ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:40:33 am »
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 10:43:19 am »
The recipe we have here in Spain is called 'Natillas' which is a custard dessert, but poured into small bowls and a plain Marie biscuit on top, served chilled. Very popular with children and DH!!! But obviously can be served as hot custard too!

Thanks, Bron.  3 eggs I can go with, that sounds good.  I'll give it a go sometime in the next few days.

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 10:54:52 am »
Kids at school used to buy cartons of custard from the tuckshop and drank it straight from the carton... blech.. I preferred to eat it with a spoon, preferrably on top of apple pie or something LOL
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 11:40:47 am »
Bet it wasn't as runny as mine ;D   I'm going to try Amanda's recipe too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 01:40:23 am »
W
Cooked it for 12 min on 90 and on 4 and it tasted great but it looked liked it had curdled. So have I done something wrong or is that just the way that it goes??? Or doesn`t it work unless you put some flour in it.  Thanks Sandy

Hi Sandy,  you can make custard without the flour, but it may be better to use only 80 deg.  If you use flour, then you can cook at a higher temp without the fear of the eggs curdling.  There is a scientific explanation that Howard McGee has in his book.  I think if you only use yolks you need a lower temp again.

You may need 5 eggs for 1 litre of milk in the TMX and cook with slower speed.

If it does split, then, as Bron says, blitz it to break down the curdled bits, and I add another egg and cook a bit longer and watch to see that it doesn't get overdone.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 07:24:13 am »
Thanks Everyone for your suggestions, will be trying them out very shortly. They have all been very useful. 
   Sandy

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 01:50:15 pm »
Thanks to you Sandy - let us know how you go.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.