Author Topic: What's for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 5180670 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What's for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #21735 on: January 01, 2023, 10:01:36 am »
When I met DH 55 years ago I spent quite a lot of time at his place. (Being away from home) and it took me many years to try some of the dishes. Vareniki wasn’t one.  His Mum made soups a lot as the boys wouldn’t eat vegetables   I eventually tried Borscht and loved it. She also made another soup with slime green stuff. It looked ghastly. It took me a long time to try it but it was lovely. She wasn’t the best cook, except of Ukrainian dishes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Online K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #21736 on: January 01, 2023, 01:59:22 pm »
steak and soba noddle salad with avocado added soya beans , from Simple cookbook. It has Cardamom in it and lime also pistachios . Boys had a small tub of mango gelato. Paddock meals are very up market this year .

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #21737 on: January 01, 2023, 07:39:51 pm »
When I met DH 55 years ago I spent quite a lot of time at his place. (Being away from home) and it took me many years to try some of the dishes. Vareniki wasn’t one.  His Mum made soups a lot as the boys wouldn’t eat vegetables   I eventually tried Borscht and loved it. She also made another soup with slime green stuff. It looked ghastly. It took me a long time to try it but it was lovely. She wasn’t the best cook, except of Ukrainian dishes.
Your MIL's cooking sounds like my DM's - she was from the Outer Hebrides of Scotland and anything that came off the croft or from the sea she was fine ... sheep's head soup anyone?  She would be totally stumped by the meals / food that I use today.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #21738 on: January 01, 2023, 11:36:47 pm »
Cookie, that certainly look good.
As a child, I grew up in a family of good cooks. I was lucky as I can eat almost anything. I couldn’t try the raw whale in Norway. But this was partly because I didn’t agree with killing them.
When I met RAL , he was a meat and 3 veg boy. Now he will try most stuff I cook. I’m not very good at Indian or Central European but do have a go. I could do with a lesson from Cookie’s DH.

Online K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #21739 on: January 02, 2023, 02:05:43 am »
 Chookie I grew up with mum being Avery good cook and she dragged me along to any French  cooking school , which I loved . My  DStepF insisted DM make what they had eaten at a restaurant! Poor DM was making crepes stuffed with chicken and white sauce or brandy crepes on a Sunday night . Sounds mad now . Now we all self learn .

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #21740 on: January 03, 2023, 08:08:35 pm »
K Atie, I smiled when I read your comments about the cooking schools and re creating meals eaten out. I have done both to extreme. It certainly keeps one interested in cooking.
Last night Pumpkin, carrot and potato soup. Lunch, chicken and Mushroom risotto adapted from Cookidoo.

Online K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #21741 on: January 04, 2023, 10:23:02 am »
Made apricot chicken ( mince ) risotto. Added asparagus. All in the thermosever waiting for DH DS to return home from harvesting the canola .

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21742 on: January 04, 2023, 11:14:19 am »
I made some pesto the other day using basil, Parmesan evoo, and some spinach. We had some tonight stirred through chicken, bacon, Sundried tomatoes and pasta. It was very nice.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #21743 on: January 04, 2023, 05:36:56 pm »
Potato, cauliflower and butternut bake. DH has decided on loads of adaptations to make based on this recipe so that will keep me occupied for a while!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #21744 on: January 04, 2023, 07:52:04 pm »
Marina, interesting. Good as you can use up those extra veggies in the fridge.
Looking for inspiration.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21745 on: January 04, 2023, 09:31:29 pm »
I found a packet of Lite & Easy spaghetti bolognaise in the freezer clean out yesterday so had that for dinner last night. Well some of it, I will have another meal of it tonight. It wasn’t bad, the flavour was a bit strong which is why I could only eat half of it. Every now and then I try something in a box and this is the first one I’ve been able to eat.

Marina are you doing anything different to a cheese sauce on those veggies. I’m really not enjoying veggies at the moment, sick of cheese sauce and tomato based ones too. Guess it doesn’t leave much else to try does it!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #21746 on: January 05, 2023, 02:23:14 am »
Silverside with potato bake, carrot & parsnip mash and home grown beans from our garden.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #21747 on: January 05, 2023, 06:22:17 pm »
Oh Mab , how lovely to have some home grown veggies.
Tried new recipe yesterday. Chicken cubes , dusted with cornflour spray with little oil,
and cooked in AF. When cooked, covered in a Chinese type sauce. 
Judy, you may like this as an alternative to cheese and tomato sauces.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #21748 on: January 05, 2023, 07:05:01 pm »
Judy, this isn't a "cheese" sauce per se as it is vegan and uses nutritional yeast flakes as a substitute for dairy cheese. This is DH's adaptation,

1/2 cup of margarine
1/2 cup plain flour
1L almond or soy milk
6 tbs nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 ½ teaspoons mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs

All in TMX.  20 sec / sp 7 then 9 min / 90 / sp 3.  He would also suggest adding some cauliflower to the sauce at the first 20 second mix mark to chop it finely.

When finished use it as a pasta type sauce or in a bake or over veges on the side.  It makes quite a large quantity and I am not sure of how it will freeze, perhaps there will be note in the original recipe, below.  If you are not used to it the nutritional yeast may not be to your taste, but it is worth a try.

The original recipe is https://www.theannoyedthyroid.com/2017/09/11/vegan-potato-bake/

I know you are fed up (sorry for the pun) with tomato sauces, but have a look at this recipe from Caroline W as well, it is also a simple sauce but tastes fantastic http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4528.0

and there is also this RTE recipe which I tried earlier this week https://www.recipetineats.com/quick-broccoli-pasta/

Hope you get some inspiration from one of the above.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #21749 on: January 06, 2023, 04:42:54 am »
Some nice recipe ideas Chookie & Marina.

Tonight we are having Tuna & Vegetable Bake with home made chips and more beans from the garden
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.