Author Topic: Bokashi  (Read 8406 times)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Bokashi
« on: September 27, 2010, 04:13:10 pm »
Does anyone else here have a Bokashi bucket?  I have a green frog bucket http://www.bokashi.com.au/Products.htm and I am loving it :) It works so well with the thermomix. I just blitz up all the scraps that I have collected through the day ( kept in the fridge in a container ) at the end of the day after cooking dinner, sprinkle the bokashi stuff over it and that is it. It lives in the kitchen and doesn't smell at all, and I don't have to worry about it (like I did with the worm farm). I am really looking forward to emptying it into the garden for the first time.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Bokashi
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:01:09 pm »
No, but I'd love one. I have a composter that has never actually composted anything, just attracted insects!!

How long does it take you to fill the bucket Meagan?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 11:26:37 pm »
I have one Meagan. I stopped using it during the winter time. It is too difficult / messy to store, when you can't dig a hole in the frozen ground  ;).
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 02:31:16 am »
I have one & it is great. As you say - no smell. The TMX is great for breaking up scraps to speed up breakdown
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 02:21:35 pm »
No, but I'd love one. I have a composter that has never actually composted anything, just attracted insects!!

How long does it take you to fill the bucket Meagan?

MJ hi I have only had it for a week so I am guessing about once every 4 weeks. I guess it depends on how much you produce in terms of scraps  ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 03:43:08 pm »
I found a shop in Perth that sells them online, but I think I'll probably just keep my scraps for DD's chooks. They're getting some more soon (last lot had a unwelcome visit from Foxy Loxy).
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 04:54:16 pm »
We don't have chooks so I have two. I fill it every two-3 weeks so while one is filling the other is fermtenting and  I can use it as compost when I get it out. I need to start mincing stuff up - it would work better I'm sure. They are a great invention for non-chook owners.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 04:15:39 am »
does anyone know what the difference is between mashing vege scraps up in the TM and digging into the garden?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 05:25:16 am »
The theory is that they ferment so if you do them in the bokashi (with the bioactive doobies) and leave it for two weeks it is completely ready to be used as fertiliser and you can start planting right away. If you bokashi and miss the two weeks you can dig them in and they are ready to be planted over in 6 months. IF you dig straight into the garden I guess it just takes longer.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 08:57:46 pm »
Plus, if you dig your scraps into the garden, the dog is likely to dig them back up (don't ask me how I know this little fact). :D

Also, you'll get pumpkins, potatoes and tomatoes growing, not that that's a bad thing!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 06:05:44 am »
I have used a bokashi bucket for a few years now, and think they are great!  I tend to alternate between putting scraps in the compost and some in the bokashi bucket.  The advantage is that you can put small amounts of meat as well as onion, garlic and citrus into the bokashi bucket, which aren't supposed to go into conventional compost.

A while back I did an experiment and planted some vegies over the top of a recently-buried lot of bokashi, and some into the normal vegie patch - and I swear the vegies growing over the bokashi grew heaps better and were stronger plants and bore more vegies.

I hadnt thought of munching the scraps in the TMX beforehand though - what a great idea!! 
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 02:12:51 pm »
Here's a chat we had about compost that you may find interesting (we do go a little off track at the end though)

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=125.0

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 04:14:33 pm »
us go off topic??!!!! NEVER lol  ;D ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 10:31:41 pm »
i've been wanting one for a few years now, but yet to convince dh ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 11:18:16 am »
Off topic, lol, just read the other thread and think it was Caroline that was mentioning making mash for the chooks. I just chuck all our scraps out for them, is it better to make mash? And how, lol, just blended up with water?