Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8987635 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #330 on: March 05, 2009, 11:34:18 am »
What took you so long to get sick of porridge or polenta????? If I make up a batch of porridge (another thing DH doesn't like) it lasts me 3 mornings and then I can't look at it again for months. I'm not a great cereal lover at the best of times and only eat it because 'it is good for you'.  As a kid, I was spoilt by my Mum who gave me a cooked breakfast everyday - eggs several different ways, mock fish (the best breakfast albeit not the healthiest) so I still like to spoil myself at least once a week and have something I really like.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #331 on: March 05, 2009, 09:01:55 pm »
i don't know! i've always gone through fads of eating the same breakfast every day but it usually only lasts for a few months, not most of a year.  i do generally have something different at least 1 morning a week btw ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 06, 2009, 05:00:58 am »
I hate cereal too and I don't even eat it even if it is good for me LOL (well, I lie, I do like cocopops, but I only buy them for special occassions like if we go away on a holiday.)

My usual breakfast is toast or an english muffin with some kind of leftovers or an egg or tinned spag or baked beans.
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #333 on: March 06, 2009, 05:42:04 am »
Yesterday I made rice to go with dinner, then boiled some eggs for fussy teenager.
Today I made the Strawberry Tart that is February's recipe in the calendar.
I am disappointed in the recipe - it is poorly put together.
See the recipe tweaking post.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #334 on: March 06, 2009, 05:52:13 am »
actually most cereal is not very good for you at all! high in sugar and fat, low in fibre lol highly processed too
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 06, 2009, 06:04:35 am »
I've only been making incidental things. Pasta with pumpkin cooked with it for the last 3 minutes for last nights main meal, rice for curry the other day (had the remains of the Naan bread from the freezer), milkshakes for daughter who was off work with a strp throat, and a custard to go with our rhubarb and apple.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 06, 2009, 08:41:12 am »
Cathy, that's my sort of breakfast too.  Plus I love tomatoes on toast.  Karen, surely wholegrain cereal is good for you - that's what they tell us anyway.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 07, 2009, 04:00:08 am »
I have spent all morning in the kitchen preparing lunch but it was worth it.  Firstly made the buttermilk bread then the steamed dim sims courtesy of the 2 Karens in Canberra together with chinese-style stir fry vegies.  All in all a lovely meal.  Refer tweaking recipes for more comments.

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 07, 2009, 05:50:27 am »
I tried out corn chips. I forgot I didn't have baking powder, so I didn't use it, so maybe they are a bit flat and heavy. Anyway, they are ok. Could be tastier, I think. They are quite nice with herb and garlic dip.

I've also made a pizza version of the pullapart. I'll post details about that in the pullapart thread.

I need to make more stock concentrate, so I should get to that this arvo.
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 07, 2009, 05:56:08 am »
Just made Joy's lemon cordial - can't believe just 3 lemons is all you need for full-on flavour.  Good one Joy! I strained it before bottling though.

Also roasted 3 huge red capsicums today whilst they are cheap.  I store them in little plastic bags in the freezer for all sorts of dishes as they are much sweeter than raw red capsicum and don't repeat on me. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 07, 2009, 06:06:49 am »
I found when I made the corn chips that those around the edge of the pastry were much thinner and tastier than those in the middle so next time I will roll out 8 small pieces instead of 4.  Perhaps a little more topping wouldn't go astray either as the topping is what gives them their lovely flavour.  I find chips and dips compliment each other though - a perfect marriage.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 10, 2009, 08:31:53 am »
Had a quick tea tonight - made an asian tasting soup and used up some of my leftover steamed dims sims.  It is a quick 5 minute soup (if you have the ingredients in the house of course) so will post it in the Soup section.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 10, 2009, 02:25:30 pm »
I've got quite into this Japanese-ish style of quick tea recently, based on an idea I heard/read somewhere (don't remember where).  I've been boiling up a Japanese style broth, then putting in the steamer basket and popping veg and meat into it to poach.  Meanwhile, I re-heat rice in the varoma.  Presumably I could also cook rice in the varoma?  It would just take a while, wouldn't it?  Don't know, never tried.  I always seem to have stacks of leftover rice to use up creatively  ;D

Anyway, we eat the poached meat and veg with the rice, then drink the broth to clean the palate afterwards.  According to what I was told/read, this is a common style of meal in Japan, and the changes are ringed by the broth / flavourings / meat / fish / veg used.  Whether it is or it isn't, we've been enjoying it.  And it has the added bonus that I feel very healthy and virtuous afterward  ;D
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 10, 2009, 11:53:31 pm »
Definitely sounds healthy.  Do you add some sort of sauce to the meat and vegies after they have been steamed in the broth or just eat them plain? I freeze packets of left over rice - always nice to have on hand for a quick addition to a meal and especially good for stir fried rice the old fashioned way.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 11, 2009, 12:12:59 am »
Definitely sounds healthy.  Do you add some sort of sauce to the meat and vegies after they have been steamed in the broth or just eat them plain? I freeze packets of left over rice - always nice to have on hand for a quick addition to a meal and especially good for stir fried rice the old fashioned way.

I usually spoon over a bit of the broth to moisten the rice a bit.  I don't know what the traditional way is, I'm afraid.  I've considered adding a spoon or 2 of sauce (teriyake / sweet chillie or whatever) to it, but haven't as yet.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!