Author Topic: ebay i cant believe it!  (Read 48127 times)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
ebay i cant believe it!
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:57:17 am »
I was just looking on ebay, I cant believe that there is an old TM21 going on there for already over $800 and that there are still 18hrs of the auciton left
The seller reckons they paid $1850 for it but that cant be right can it? 

Then there was the original TM, the orange one that only was a blender that went for over $200

Amazing what people will pay!  At least we know should we ever want to sell we can almost get our money back!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ebay i cant believe it!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:00:33 pm »
It doesn't sound right baf65 - that's how much my TM31 cost back in Oct '08.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 11:58:44 pm »
There is a Thermoserver on there too at $46.00 with 8 days still to go!!!  :o :o cheaper to hold a demo lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 01:01:32 am »
They did cost that sort of money for the TM 21 - so TM 31 is a bargain
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 06:17:59 am »
madeness, i guess the people buying just see the name Thermomix and then believe everything the seller says....im tempted to jump on and say 'no dont buy it you fools, just get a brand new one!! it wont cost you much more'!!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 07:19:47 am »
I paid just over $1200 for my TM21 with no other goodies. I still have it and would love to sell it if anyone is interested. I was told I could get almost $1000 for it. I haven't put it on eBay as the cost of freight would be horrendous. If I was in Perth I could have "pick up only".  :-\
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 07:35:40 am »
I paid just over $1200 for my TM21 with no other goodies. I still have it and would love to sell it if anyone is interested. I was told I could get almost $1000 for it. I haven't put it on eBay as the cost of freight would be horrendous. If I was in Perth I could have "pick up only".  :-\
I bet if you found out the price of postage - people would still pay it. After all we have to pay $40 postage over here (this side of Oz if you don't live on coast) for our TMX to be posted and we still all pay it.   :-))  It's worth a try if they are all still selling for that much.  ;)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 09:41:31 am »
a friend of mine bought a new TM31 off ebay (ex demonstrators model) with a few extra bonus goodies and she paid $60 freight so I reckon peoploe are prepared to pay the freight to get a Thermomix so Megan its probably worth listing it , they seem to get plenty of bids
I sold a FSA cookbook on there for $55 had around 6 people bidding on it
I even had people emailing me asking me if I was selling a thermomix!

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 11:25:36 am »
The TM21 ended up going for $1070 with SA pickup
the bids went from $400 to $1070 in a week....amazing!!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 11:59:21 am »
That's so amazing!  I'll have to tell my sister that she got a bargain - I sold my TM21 to her for $600 - aren't I nice!  ;)

When I bought my TM21 brand new it was $1585.00 - I still have the old invoice!  Those people should definitely be buying new ones!!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 07:44:41 pm »
I've posted about my TM31 on several other forums - one isn't even a food forum - and have gotten emails asking if I want to sell it.
I pass on the information about the distributor in Canada but haven't heard back from anyone who inquired.
I was very lucky that I bought mine right at the time that they were offering free shipping.  Since they are are on the same side of the continent as me, the shipping was extremely rapid.  In fact, it arrived two days earlier than I expected.

I still don't understand why they don't do at least some marketing in the US.  They did at one time, some ten years ago, I think, but apparently don't understand the psyche of the U.S. consumer, who is not partial to "demonstration parties." 

Vita-Mix blenders regularly have demonstrations and on-the-spot sales at  big box stores such as CostCo and Sam's Club, as well as at large fairs (L.A. County Fair is a huge venue) and sales are very strong because there is a fairly good discount. 
One of my friends bought a Vita-Mix Deluxe 5200 at the Antelope Valley fair, here in town last August and went back the next day to buy two more for her grown children.  The regular price is $649.00 for the entire package, which includes extra container, but the price at the fair was $499.00.

These demonstrators are experts at these kinds of demos and have the spiel down pat.  They are paid a salary in addition to a commission on the sales.  Several are also actors seen in TV commercials but they know their business and can answer even the most obscure question because they have really studied the product. 
This is completely different from sales in department stores where all too often the salesperson has no idea how an appliance works and has certainly never used one. 

I think that if Vorwerk did a trial at marketing the way Vita-Mix is sold, they might be pleasantly surprised at the response.   
Vita-Mix also had a big display at the huge Kitchen and Bath consumer products show last year.  This is where all the newest kitchen gadgets and goodies are showcased.   Some never make it big but others  get a lot of news footage and especially the HGTV shows that highlight these things. 
When I remodeled my kitchen, I went to the big home show at the L.A. convention center and bought several things that caught my eye. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 10:53:57 pm »
Apparently,  word is the US market isn't too keen on the grams in the scales and Celsius for cooking ... one of the reasons why Vorverk haven't pursued the market  ??? ??? - it is only foodies that really see the benefit of going to the trouble to convert - much like yourself Andie  :D :D :D

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 11:43:39 pm »
Apparently,  word is the US market isn't too keen on the grams in the scales and Celsius for cooking ... one of the reasons why Vorverk haven't pursued the market  ??? ??? - it is only foodies that really see the benefit of going to the trouble to convert - much like yourself Andie  :D :D :D
The older american version was in lbs and ounces and fahrenheit.  Was surprised when it arrived and found it wasn't in grams and celcius. 

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 11:53:14 pm »
hmmm ..... well I did say apparently lol, that is what I had been told when I asked if there was any particular reason why the US wasn't marketed.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 12:43:01 am »
There are now a great many professional and serious amateur cooks and bakers that  weigh everything and  use  metric ..

There are even some UK kitchen ranges around - my friend up at Mammoth has an AGA.   

It's difficult to understand the thinking of some manufacturers.   I want one of the new Senseo machines that is selling well in Europe and the UK but in answer to my inquiry, they said there were no plans to market it here in the near future. 
They did advise me that if I bought the UK appliance there was a possibility that it would not work well on US electrical power with just a  voltage converter.  Too bad.  I will just have to get along with the Senseo machines I have now - much easier to use than the superautomatica espresso machine.  That was really a waste of money because I simply can't be bothered to use it.  The only time it gets a workout is when I have company and they are espresso fanatics. (Bring their own beans.) 
Aarggh!
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/