Author Topic: Carrot and Spinach Slice  (Read 7483 times)

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
Carrot and Spinach Slice
« on: November 01, 2009, 07:56:41 am »
Okay this is my first attempt so be kind to me!  This is a favourite here and the tmx has made the prep so much easier!  Any hints/suggestions to cut down on washing up would be appreciated! :)

Name of Recipe: Carrot and Spinach Slice
Number of People: 6

Ingredients:
1 bunch silverbeet/spinach OR 2 x 250gr packet frozen chopped spinach
2 whole eggs
3 egg whites
1 1/2 tblsp concentrated vege stock
2-3 cloves of garlic
15-20gr (2tblsp) grated parmesan cheese
45-50gr (1/2 cup) grated tasty cheese
300gr (3 cups) grated carrot
70gr (1/2 cup) diced onion
100gr (3/4 cup) SR Flour
pepper to taste
cooking spray
extra 45-50gr (1/2 cup) grated tasty cheese

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced*.

If using silverbeet: Wash then remove white stalks**. 

Cut silverbeet leaves into thin strips*** .  Microwave in a little water for 3 minutes.  Drain really well by pushing out as much water as possible from silverbeet and leave to one side.

If using frozen spinach: defrost and squeeze as much water out as possible before using (guess which method I use most?! heehee!).

If you haven't already grated, diced etc:
Put EXTRA tasty cheese in tmx and grate it for a few seconds on speed 4-5.  Put to one side.
Then put the tasty cheese and garlic cloves in and again grate for a few seconds on speed 4-5.  Put to one side.
Put roughly chopped carrots and onion quarters in the tmx and grate for 15-20secs on speed 4-5.  Put to one side and wash tmx.
Put all eggs in tmx and beat for 30 seconds on speed 7-8.
Add concentrated stock, garlic and cheese (from bowl to side) and parmesan cheese to the tmx and combine for 30-60 seconds on speed 7-8 in REVERSE.
Add in carrot and onion (in bowl to side) together with spinach (sitting to side draining) and combine for 1 minute on speed 4-5 in REVERSE.
Add flour**** to tmx and stir for 1 minute on speed 1 in REVERSE.  Flour should be well combined with ingredients.
Coat a quiche dish with cooking spray then spread mixture into dish.  Sprinkle the extra tasty cheese over top. 
Bake 45 minutes or until browned and firm in centre.

Photos:
Currently in oven so will take a picture when it comes out.
Tips/Hints:
* I usually have my non fan-forced oven on 380 degrees F.
**An easy way to do this is to hold the stalk in one hand and with the other hand pull away the green leaf.
*** I never do this when I use actual silverbeet.  I roughly pull it apart into smaller pieces. 
**** You might need a bit extra flour depending on liquidity of ingredients.  It should be sticky but not dough-like.

I’m not sure on the speeds as this is my first effort.  Let me know if less time/different speed works for you! 

I use a pie dish.
THIS RECIPE HAS BEEN CONVERTED / ADAPTED FROM “SYMPLY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE” BOOK 4

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
Re: Carrot and Spinach Slice
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 08:05:56 am »
and I'm making this: http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1609.0 in a minute to use the yolks. :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 09:27:36 am »
Thanks for that Snoozie, it sounds lovely.  We like that sort of thing and my brother in law gave us a heap of englsih spinach so I have plenty. (We've eaten all the spinach and fetta scrolls I made this morning!!) I'll put it on my list of 'to make' for this week.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:49:53 am »
Snoozie

This sounds really good - easy and healthy.

One thing I've noticed from converting recipes is that the first time I chop ingredients separately (like you did) and then the second time I make it, I try throwing everything and chopping it together.  It's worked for me.

Also don't forget when listing your ingredients, you don't need grated or diced ingredients, just roughly chopped.

Cathy
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 03:05:28 pm »
You could also steam your spinach in the varoma and it wouldn't need to be squeezed out as much  ;) We have a heap of spinach to use up at the moment so this is on the list this week along with a zucchini slice as we found a rogue zucchini in the garden the size of a butternut pumpkin!!!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 07:58:39 am »
Sounds good - i'll have a look and see what ideas I might have if it can be improved with order of chopping etc.  But yes - steam the silver beet quick smart in the Varoma.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 09:58:21 am »
Oh great idea about steaming! I forget about steaming lol